Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-30-2008, 12:26 AM   #1
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Dream match: Lennox Lewis on (October 31, 1992) vs. Sonny Liston on (sept. 25, 1962)

This is the young superstar who vaporized the feared Donovan "Razor" Ruddock vs. The feared, bruttish, ex-con with the hulking physique and baleful stare. Who wins this fight when both men were at or near their absolute physical prime. Both are gifted punchers with different styles and personas. Lewis is the reserved, but jovial giant who loves reggae music and chess. Liston is the morose bully who had a terrible, brutal childhood and kept those scars with him to his early death in 1971.

I don't think it would be as difficult for Lennox as many people think. He will be the bigger, stronger guy, he's more athletic, has just as much punching power and more speed. Liston will soon find out that Lennox is not Mike DeJohn, Cleveland Williams or Zora Foley. Although they were all fine fighters. Lennox Lewis by early kayo in four rounds.

Lennox Lewis KO 4 Sonny Liston
Sardu is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
SteveO
MSW
ESB Addict

vCash: 1040
Default Re: Dream match: Lennox Lewis on (October 31, 1992) vs. Sonny Liston on (sept. 25, 1962)

Interesting match-up.

I too would pick Lewis...unless Sonny pulled a McCall/Raham and landed "that" punch.
SteveO is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2008, 01:51 AM   #3
Sizzle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Dream match: Lennox Lewis on (October 31, 1992) vs. Sonny Liston on (sept. 25, 1962)

Liston TKO within 5 everytime.

I don't think Lewis would pose any real threat to him at his absolute peak, he really only has the edge in handspeed. Listons timing and defense nullified this factor against most opponents (except for Ali who relied on his footwork)

Liston is a beautiful scientific boxer, better than Lewis, and a clinical finisher, again better than Lewis.

I think Liston has the better chin, better guts, and comparable power. If he hurts Lewis, you can bet he's going to capitalize.
Sizzle is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2008, 01:55 AM   #4
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle
Liston TKO within 5 everytime.

I don't think Lewis would pose any real threat to him at his absolute peak, he really only has the edge in handspeed. Listons timing and defense nullified this factor against most opponents (except for Ali who relied on his footwork)

Liston is a beautiful scientific boxer, better than Lewis, and a clinical finisher, again better than Lewis.

I think Liston has the better chin, better guts, and comparable power. If he hurts Lewis, you can bet he's going to capitalize.
Excellent post. Liston did move very smoothly for a man who was so heavily muscled. He was not just a big brute in there for sure. He could box too as you astutely mentioned.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2008, 02:08 AM   #5
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Lewis KO3.

Liston didn't have the tools to keep a modern heavy at bay.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2008, 04:19 AM   #6
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle
Lewis TKO within 5 everytime.

I don't think Liston would pose any real threat to him at his absolute peak, he really only has the edge in handspeed. Lewis' timing and defense nullified this factor against most opponents.

Lewis is a beautiful scientific boxer, better than Liston, and a clinical finisher, again better than Liston.

I think Lewis has the better chin, better guts, and comparable power. If he hurts Liston, you can bet he's going to capitalize.
I agree.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2008, 04:58 AM   #7
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Lewis, very close UD.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2008, 06:26 AM   #8
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Liston was a better boxer than Lewis, IMO.

The best Lewis was when he fought Holyfield or Tua, in '99-'00. I'd expect Liston to outpoint him, really batter him quite painfully.

The Lewis who fought Ruddock was a bit raw and reckless still. I think Liston would knock him out in a 2-3 round slug fest.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #9
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Correa-era Lewis? It worked against Ruddock, but I think he needs Manny in there to beat Liston. Punchers chance but more likely Liston TKO

Steward-era wins but this isn't about that.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2008, 06:35 AM   #10
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

I think Lewis' chin would be good enough to not get blown out I'm one of the people who does think Lewis' chin was actually really good, but Liaton could stop him. However, I don't think Lewis would allow himself to get caught enough to get stopped. The biggest problem with Lewis was not his chin, but his lazy attitude in fights he thought he could win easily. If he had a better mentality, he would have been undefeated in his career.

So I would rule out a stoppage win for Liston. Lewis has too much defensive savvy for him and would not be complacent like he was against McCall or Rahman.

I think Liston's jab could pose a threat though. Looking at how Mercer and Bruno gave this young version of Lewis so many problems, I'd imagine a guy like Liston would to, but moreso. This is Lewis' biggest problem.

I'd go for two seperate picks. Either Liston win too many of the early rounds for Lewis to get back into it, sticking on the end of his jab. Or Lewis knocks Liston out, which he could do easier than the other way around.

In a 3 fight series, I'd say 2-1 in favour of Liston.

If this was the late 90's version of Lewis though, he would be too good and too hard hitting for Liston. I don't imagine Sonny's chin could last 12 rounds many times against a focused Lennox.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2008, 06:56 AM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I guess i'd pick Liston.

Sonny takes away to many of Lewis' great weapons - jabbing with Liston is a stupid thing to do, and Lewis, usually really good at not getting hit on the inside is going to get pushed around a bit here.

I think Liston, probably by KO.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #12
Muchmoore

vCash:

Liston is too much. I dont even see Lewis being able to outbox Liston for 12 rounds. He would be able to win rounds but Listons boxing skill, combined with his one punch power would prove too much and stop Lennox sometime in the fight.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #13
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmoore
Listons boxing skill, combined with his one punch power would prove too much and stop Lennox sometime in the fight.

So Lenny doesn't have top bracket power and boxing skill then? Hmm.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #14
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
I guess i'd pick Liston.

Sonny takes away to many of Lewis' great weapons - jabbing with Liston is a stupid thing to do, and Lewis, usually really good at not getting hit on the inside is going to get pushed around a bit here.

I think Liston, probably by KO.

Interesting points. You'd sure be a big fool to rule Liston out (espeically with his skilla and insane power), however I'd make Lewis ever so slight fave in this matchup whatever the case (whether it's the early or late 90's version). I honesty reckon that Lewis is one of not too many who can more than hold their own in a jabbing contest against Liston (possibly outjab him) although he'd need to be consistent with it and put in a high workrate throught the fight. Who's to saw that Lewis couldn't wield the axe on Sonny?

I don't quite get the point why you think Lewis is going to get bullied around in clinches etc, he's bigger and equally as strong as Liston and has a mean uppercut as chilling and great an any in the divisions history. Both outside and inside this fight is a close call.

A Liston stoppage/points win isn't out of the question of course. My personal view is that whilst it's neck and neck in terms of power and skill between the two, but Lewis holds the ever so slight physical aces over Liston and wouldn't be intimidated by him.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #15
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Liston would lay Lewis out, just like McCall and Rahman did. Worse. Goodness if guys like that could put him on queer street or knock him out cold, one of the greatest punchers of all time will REALLY annihilate this guy.
Zakman is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum