Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
punchandmove
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Default Hatton beating Tszyu

How big of an achievment was this? More or less shocking than say, if Brook beat Pacquiaou?
punchandmove is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
ElCep
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 510
vCash: 500
Default Re: Hatton beating Tszyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchandmove View Post
How big of an achievment was this? More or less shocking than say, if Brook beat Pacquiaou?
Brook beating Manny would be beyond shocking.
ElCep is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Bush
Posts: 1,062
vCash: 500
Default Re: Hatton beating Tszyu

Hatton's win was a big achievement, he stepped up to the plate on the night and put on a great performance against a guy in the p4p top 10 list.

You can only really measure how shocking it would be for Brook to beat Manny by comparing the Tszyu that Hatton fought to Manny now.

Tszyu had only fought twice in 3 years before the Hatton fight and was past his best, you could argue Manny is also past his best but he has been far more active. The fact that a tough guy like Tsyzu failed to come out for the last round against Hatton at his age and a long period of inactivity suggests he may have been on the slide and Hatton got him at the right time. Don't think the Manny of today would ever quit on his stool against anyone.

Tszyu was also the MAN at LWW pretty much since he won the title apart from the Phillips slip up. You could argue that Manny isn't a natural welter and has moved up to that weight so perhaps isn't quite as comparable. Brook would have a good size advantage over him that Hatton wouldn't have had the benefit of against Tszyu.

Taking their records into account I think you'd have to give the edge to Manny in terms of resume, even though he has more losses he has fought and beat the better opponents and is above Tsyzu in the ATG list and is in better current shape than the Tsyzu that fought Hatton was.

So overall if Brook beat Manny now I think it would be a better achievement. Hatton's win was still impressive though simply because of the way he beat Tsyzu, just absolutely threw the kitchen sink at him and battered him into submission.
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,573
vCash: 75
Default Re: Hatton beating Tszyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGoode View Post
Hatton's win was a big achievement, he stepped up to the plate on the night and put on a great performance against a guy in the p4p top 10 list.

You can only really measure how shocking it would be for Brook to beat Manny by comparing the Tszyu that Hatton fought to Manny now.

Tszyu had only fought twice in 3 years before the Hatton fight and was past his best, you could argue Manny is also past his best but he has been far more active. The fact that a tough guy like Tsyzu failed to come out for the last round against Hatton at his age and a long period of inactivity suggests he may have been on the slide and Hatton got him at the right time. Don't think the Manny of today would ever quit on his stool against anyone.

Tszyu was also the MAN at LWW pretty much since he won the title apart from the Phillips slip up. You could argue that Manny isn't a natural welter and has moved up to that weight so perhaps isn't quite as comparable. Brook would have a good size advantage over him that Hatton wouldn't have had the benefit of against Tszyu.

Taking their records into account I think you'd have to give the edge to Manny in terms of resume, even though he has more losses he has fought and beat the better opponents and is above Tsyzu in the ATG list and is in better current shape than the Tsyzu that fought Hatton was.

So overall if Brook beat Manny now I think it would be a better achievement. Hatton's win was still impressive though simply because of the way he beat Tsyzu, just absolutely threw the kitchen sink at him and battered him into submission.

I agree, Tszyu was past his best but far from "shot" like some revisors like to suggest, and still the champion, a great win for Hatton.

A win over Manny by Brook would be amazing though, considering how much better than Brook Hatton was, and how Manny is on better form than Tszyu of the time.
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Bush
Posts: 1,062
vCash: 500
Default Re: Hatton beating Tszyu

He wasn't shot by any means, the fight was competitive enough to prove that. I just think he knew that Hatton wasn't going to get KO'd in the last round and that he had lost the fight, was probably exhausted and didn't want any more punishment. Great win for Hatton but also got Tsyzu at the right time, that was a pretty savage fight too, both of them pretty rough house, punching each other in the bollocks and everything!
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,573
vCash: 75
Default Re: Hatton beating Tszyu

Tsyzu just couldn't handle the pace, especially since he was hitting Hatton with pure bombs and Hatton walked through them and roughed Tszyu up, relentless pressure from Hatton and a very rough fight
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
slick bomber
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 24
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hatton beating Tszyu

maybe tzyu would´ve won if hatton wasn´t allowed all those clinching. ricky was more a wrestler/grappler than a boxer... with that being said he would be well suited for mma, he also has some kickboxing background.
slick bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
UndisputedUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hatton beating Tszyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
I agree, Tszyu was past his best but far from "shot" like some revisors like to suggest, and still the champion, a great win for Hatton.

A win over Manny by Brook would be amazing though, considering how much better than Brook Hatton was, and how Manny is on better form than Tszyu of the time.
Tszyu was on the slide, but still plenty good enough. Just before this fight didn't he slam Sharmba Mitchell. It was a good win for Hatton, but Tszyu whilst a great fighter, he's wasn't a Mayweather or Pacman.
Prime Tszyu in a neutral venue would have beaten Hatton no problems.
UndisputedUK is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Bush
Posts: 1,062
vCash: 500
Default Re: Hatton beating Tszyu

Dave Parris definitely helped Hatton, had that been Joe Cortez the outcome could have been very different!
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
Pt84
Journeyman
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Default Re: Hatton beating Tszyu

brook beating manny is a bit far out there for me. Carson jones was a messy spoiling swarmer and he gave brook A LOT of problems. Manny would be too slick for him. But i do agree with the previous posts about manny being in a similar position to Tzysu. Tzysu was on the decline and so is manny. Manny is ripe for the picking by the right people.

Hatton beating Tzysu was massive. Not the biggest achievement in the history of boxing. But a real good achievement for a good guy.
Pt84 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kent. UK.
Posts: 5,165
vCash: 81
Default Re: Hatton beating Tszyu

The fact Frank even put Hatton in with Tszyu shows he was considered on the slide, not taking anything away from Ricky, it was still a great win.

That night Hatton hit his peak, it went slowly downhill after, he was never quite the same fighter.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
punchandmove
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Default Re: Hatton beating Tszyu

guys im new to watching boxing, can you give me some other examples of british boxers overcoming the odds and winning? eg froch bute. cheers
punchandmove is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ,burnleylancashire
Posts: 2,878
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hatton beating Tszyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchandmove View Post
guys im new to watching boxing, can you give me some other examples of british boxers overcoming the odds and winning? eg froch bute. cheers
biggest ones in the last few decades,benn/McClellan,honeygun/curry biggest i can think of at the mo.

kosta was not shot,past his best maybe,hatton out worked him,**** all to do with clinching whichever ****head said that,hattons movement was superb,the boy above(slick boxer) who said clinching is obviously into MMA,he won a rough tough hard fought fight,people need to get over it,great win for a british boxer
widdy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
hth
one horrible b*stard!!!!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 0
vCash: 500
Default Re: Hatton beating Tszyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchandmove View Post
guys im new to watching boxing, can you give me some other examples of british boxers overcoming the odds and winning? eg froch bute. cheers
froch is and always has been vastly underrated outside of the UK and it was no surprise to those who follow the sport to see him walk through bute who had been molly coddled in his own country the same way arthur abraham was when carl smashed him

oh and a good starting point for you will be.....

honeyghan-curry
hth is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Bush
Posts: 1,062
vCash: 500
Default Re: Hatton beating Tszyu

Calzaghe/Lacy wasn't a big shock to most of the UK boxing fans but Lacy was the bookies favourite in their fight and we all know what happened.

Burns/Martinez was an upset although not quite the same achievement as the others mentioned.

Other than that can't think of too many off the top of my head.

The best over coming of the odds I have seen though was when Danny Williams popped his shoulder out mid round then somehow managed to KO the other guy with a left while his arm looked completely mangled!
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013