Old 10-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #16
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81
Default Re: Hatton beating Tszyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGoode View Post
Calzaghe/Lacy wasn't a big shock to most of the UK boxing fans but Lacy was the bookies favourite in their fight and we all know what happened.

Burns/Martinez was an upset although not quite the same achievement as the others mentioned.

Other than that can't think of too many off the top of my head.

The best over coming of the odds I have seen though was when Danny Williams popped his shoulder out mid round then somehow managed to KO the other guy with a left while his arm looked completely mangled!
The other fighter was Mark Potter.

Even Williams Beating Tyson was a good upset in its own right, yes Tyson was shot but he could still punch and was a danger in the early rounds.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #17
trotter
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
The fact Frank even put Hatton in with Tszyu shows he was considered on the slide, not taking anything away from Ricky, it was still a great win.

That night Hatton hit his peak, it went slowly downhill after, he was never quite the same fighter.
Actually that was franks last fight in his contract with hatton, he delivered the tszyu fight to try to keep him. If ricky had a few fights left in his deal he wouldn't have done it.

Hatton forced it.

All the talk was that tszyu was as good as ever after he came back and flattened Mitchell.

He wasn't considered on the slide, wasn't shop worn, but obviously was getting older.
trotter is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #18
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter View Post
Actually that was franks last fight in his contract with hatton, he delivered the tszyu fight to try to keep him. If ricky had a few fights left in his deal he wouldn't have done it.

Hatton forced it.

All the talk was that tszyu was as good as ever after he came back and flattened Mitchell.

He wasn't considered on the slide, wasn't shop worn, but obviously was getting older.
Sort of backfired a bit on old Frank, he set Ricky for super stardom and multi million super fights and Frank wasn't involved.

It set the tone for future fighters to do the same.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #19
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I think Allegedly's arrogance cost him his deal with Hatton.

He was probably trying to line up an easy defence or three, whilst other promoters were offering megabucks, on Hatton's terms.

Dennis Hobson basically pimped himself to Hatton to get some work for his other fighters, they did the Maussa unification and then went to America.

Hobson probably did little other than flog promotional rights and take his cut - easy money for doing what your fighter wants - getting big money fights and maximising his income.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
JukeboxTimebomb
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
The other fighter was Mark Potter.

Even Williams Beating Tyson was a good upset in its own right, yes Tyson was shot but he could still punch and was a danger in the early rounds.
Tyson blew his knee out in the 2nd (I think) and Danny just put a whooping on him after that. It probably saved tyson from a savage beating from Vitali mind you as Danny got that call instead.
JukeboxTimebomb is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #21
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick bomber View Post
maybe tzyu would´ve won if hatton wasn´t allowed all those clinching. ricky was more a wrestler/grappler than a boxer... with that being said he would be well suited for mma, he also has some kickboxing background.
Clinching is perfectly legal in boxing, holding isn't....as a boxing fan you obviously know the difference?
icemax is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #22
MidniteProwler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Tszyu was still good, he had just demolished Sharmbe Mitchell in a rematch many predicted Mitchell to win.

Hatton v Tszyu was a dirty rough fight because Hatton made it that way and that is why he won. IMO if the fight was in the USA Tszyu would have won on points.
MidniteProwler is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 AM   #23
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeboxTimebomb View Post
Tyson blew his knee out in the 2nd (I think) and Danny just put a whooping on him after that. It probably saved tyson from a savage beating from Vitali mind you as Danny got that call instead.
I heard a rumour that Tyson blew his knee, I thought it was just that though, a rumour, I stand corrected.

It takes the shine of Williams win a bit admittedly.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #24
Geddy Lee
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCep View Post
Brook beating Manny would be beyond shocking.
Brook would beat Manny
Geddy Lee is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #25
slick bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
Clinching is perfectly legal in boxing, holding isn't....as a boxing fan you obviously know the difference?
he was holding a lot. i like boxing more than wrestling sorry but maybe i´m still bitter that one of my favorite boxers lost and retired...
slick bomber is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #26
zulander
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I heard a rumour that Tyson blew his knee, I thought it was just that though, a rumour, I stand corrected.

It takes the shine of Williams win a bit admittedly.

If you watch the fight you can see when it happens. He unloads on Williams who wobbles and clinches and then Tyson goes to land i think right hook and you can see a little wobble go up his frame if you watch his leg at that point it moves on him a little after that his punch output and movement drops through the floor and Danny unloads

Last edited by zulander; 10-10-2012 at 06:15 AM. Reason: -
zulander is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #27
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulander View Post
If you watch the fight you can see when it happens. He unloads on Williams who wobbles and clinches and then Tyson goes to land i think right hook and you can see a little wobble go up his frame if you watch his leg at that point it moves on him a little after that his punch output and movement drops through the floor and Danny unloads
I'll give it a watch again and look out for it, I seen the fight about 3 times and must have missed it each time.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #28
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteProwler View Post
Tszyu was still good, he had just demolished Sharmbe Mitchell in a rematch many predicted Mitchell to win.

Hatton v Tszyu was a dirty rough fight because Hatton made it that way and that is why he won. IMO if the fight was in the USA Tszyu would have won on points.

why do they go to points if the other boxers throws the towel in in the usa
shit,even if they did,hatton would of won,he bullied him, simple
widdy is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #29
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick bomber View Post
he was holding a lot. i like boxing more than wrestling sorry but maybe i´m still bitter that one of my favorite boxers lost and retired...
Thats fair comment, but you did use the word "clinch" which is significantly different to holding. For what its worth, I actually agree with you
icemax is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #30
macho_grande
"I'll never get over"
ESB Addict

vCash: 1534

I've only seen that fight once, but my overriding memories of that fight is how ****ing filth Hatton was throughout. Low blows, grappling, going in with his head etc.

I might be wrong, but that's who's I remember it.

I also recall Hatton steaming in at the beginning of every single round & getting tagged with right hands. What were the scorecards like before Tszyu pulled out?
macho_grande is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum