Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 153
Default Mike Tyson v.s Sonny Liston (Bareknuckles)

Bareknuckle.

who wins?
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
dado
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mike Tyson v.s Sonny Liston (Bareknuckles)

tyson,,,,, easily.. imagine a mike tyson punch,,,, bare knuckled, just imagine his speed without gloves, thats some scary stuff. liston wouldnt be a match he was too slow just not enough of a specimen, tyson would rush him and crumble him into the ground it would go a few seconds
dado is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dado
tyson would rush him and crumble him into the ground it would go a few seconds
Your post makes it clear that:

You know very little about the rules they would be fighting under.

You know very little about Liston.

You don't know much about fighting in general.

Sorry bro, you're about as far of as you could possibly be.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
blan

vCash: 1211

tyson would completely destroy his hands and probably listons head too
blan is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

it won't be an easy fight to be honest. liston was pretty fast for a guy his size, and his left jab (the best of all times heavyweight that is) will leave good damage on tyson's face.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
dado
Journeyman

macgrain i dont know much about fighting?
bro ive been doing boxing now for 4 years and MMA for almost two trust me i know more than u think about fighting,,, i grew up in a warzone aka sarajevo (bosnia) and ive been im more streetfights than what u have eaten breakfasts.
the rules r pretty clear,,, 'bareknuckle' theres not a lot to it is there,,, i know a lot about sonny liston ive got about 15 of his fights,,,, and trust me for mike tyson,,,, a BARE KNUCKLE mike tyson,,, sonny liston would be no match,,, im being serious i think he would get knocked out in a few seconds ,,, thats just my opinion,,, but not just knocked out,,, like messed up BADLY like hospitalized
dado is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
dado
Journeyman

also dont judge this fight based upon old skool bare knuckle fights,,, those guys had crap power and punching technique was poor and weak thats why they were able to fight for hours,,,, with tysons technique , speed, and power its hard to imagine how not just sonny liston but any man ever could take more than a couple of punches from him bare knuckles,,, heads are only made of bones,,, tysons punches will easily break the jaw bone,,, knock all teeth out,,, break facial bones the maxillary etc,
dado is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 09:00 PM   #8
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
also dont judge this fight based upon old skool bare knuckle fights,,, those guys had crap power and punching technique was poor and weak thats why they were able to fight for hours,,,, with tysons technique , speed, and power its hard to imagine how not just sonny liston but any man ever could take more than a couple of punches from him bare knuckles,,, heads are only made of bones,,, tysons punches will easily break the jaw bone,,, knock all teeth out,,, break facial bones the maxillary etc,
so your saying that john sullivan had weak power??
Old 06-17-2007, 09:04 PM   #9
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
macgrain i dont know much about fighting?
bro ive been doing boxing now for 4 years and MMA for almost two trust me i know more than u think about fighting,,, i grew up in a warzone aka sarajevo (bosnia) and ive been im more streetfights than what u have eaten breakfasts.
Sounds like you've been there and done it allright.

Quote:
the rules r pretty clear,,, 'bareknuckle' theres not a lot to it is there,,, i know a lot about sonny liston ive got about 15 of his fights,,,, and trust me for mike tyson,,,, a BARE KNUCKLE mike tyson,,, sonny liston would be no match,,, im being serious i think he would get knocked out in a few seconds ,,, thats just my opinion,,, but not just knocked out,,, like messed up BADLY like hospitalized
The rules allow for holding and wrestling to a much greater extent than anything we've seen either of these guys do in the ring. As far as functional strength goes, Liston is ahead so this give him a serious advantage. Tyson has big fistss - 13" if memory serves - but Liston's are bigger, 15", and with no gloves being used that gives him a serious advantage.

Liston hits harder. He has a bigger reach, in fact he has the longest, hardest jab in heavyweight history.

Both men have great, great chins. Which is why I found your shout about a short fight so ridiculous. Liston probably has the edge in stamina, and given that the fight could be anything up to 75 rounds - unspecified here - this give him a serious advantage.

With two great punchers you never know, but I think Liston shades Tyson in key areas here. One shot power, reach, functional strength. Where Tyson exceeds - combination punching and speed - we see his advantages smothered by rules that see no warnings from a ref for holding, grabbing and pushing.

It's about 55/45 but I'll say Liston by KO after around 12 rounds.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #10
dado
Journeyman

yes john sullivan had weak power,,, if he couldnt knock people out with bare knuckles he had very weak power,,,, when will u people understand that u cant compare fighters ( or humans in general) from a hundred or more years ago to fighters today.... i bet u every amateur boxer in australia today from 69kg onwards has better power than john sullivan ,,,, what r u gonna start saying soon that sprinters from the 1800;s could beat the ones from today,, please its nice to be nostalgic but not to the point of being stupid
dado is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
also dont judge this fight based upon old skool bare knuckle fights,,, those guys had crap power and punching technique was poor and weak thats why they were able to fight for hours,

Primarily it was because fighters were in engaged in holds and clinches that would last for minutes. Guys like Sullivan and Jeffries punched just fine in terms of power and guys like Corbett wrote the book on punching technique, though maybe that's a bit further down the line that you mean.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 09:07 PM   #12
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Legend
they both shatter their hands and then decided to call it quits and go drinking.
That's an after party you wouldn't let your girlfriend waitress at.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 09:20 PM   #13
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
yes john sullivan had weak power,,, if he couldnt knock people out with bare knuckles he had very weak power,,,, when will u people understand that u cant compare fighters ( or humans in general) from a hundred or more years ago to fighters today.... i bet u every amateur boxer in australia today from 69kg onwards has better power than john sullivan ,,,, what r u gonna start saying soon that sprinters from the 1800;s could beat the ones from today,, please its nice to be nostalgic but not to the point of being stupid
this guy doesn't know shit about boxing.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #14
dado
Journeyman

ok i dont know shit about boxing? thats why im probably the only one here who actually HAS a boxing record and actually COMPETES in the ring in 2different combat sports,, where as u like to spend ur time thinking about if some guy who fought 200 years ago ,,, WHO U HAVE NEVER EVEN SEE FIGHT COZ THERES NO FOOTAGE OF HIM, and u like to say that he was a powerful puncher how do u even know that? coz some 19th century british guy wrote it in a book? come on man please tyson was an absolutel punching machine,,, also liston was impressive too very impressive,,, i still dont think he was a match at all for a bare knuckle tyson,,,, but sullivan? ur going bak too far man,,, next time u can post about why a caveman could whoop wladimir coz hes got a better chin
dado is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #15
hobgoblin
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Mike Tyson is one of my favorite fighters but he wasn't a GENUINELY mean motha****a to the core. You've heard that story before: two thieves are at the gallows. There's a crowd around them to witness the gruesome scene. These two committed grave crimes and were pretty bad mofos. Now they are about to face death and the consequences. The magistrate says, "do you repent"? The first thief snickers and scowls. The second thief breaks down and sobs and weeps and begs for mercy - he is no longer consistent.

I see Liston as the first thief, Iron Mike as the second thief. He isn't bad to the CORE. He just didn't have the mentality to handle the most brutal situations in the ring (granted, anyone in boxing obviously can withstand brutality - but not the level required against a guy like Liston).

Liston was bigger, stronger, had a longer reach and was much meaner than Tyson - he was bad to the core. This guy repeatedly took beatings from the Detroit police. His record is "more impressive" than Tyson's in terms of hardship, choas and such (despite Tyson's terrible start). Tyson would be worse on someone who is inferior than him (99.9%) becuase he wouldn't break down - but against Liston he would break down. He would end up like was in the Lewis fight - twitching and crying to cuts - it'd be much worse than Liston.

This is why when people make threads about "Tyson in an alley with..." I imagine he'd be on the short end. These fights are very brutal and Tyson isn't a complete villain. More importantly, for these traits - I suspect Tyson did get the short end of the stick in some encounters in prison - I can only imagine prison is horrible place where people sneak up on you.

Mike Tyson was a bad man, but Liston was even "badder".
hobgoblin is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum