Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #61
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: "...The Land of Dixon and Langford..."
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 3930
Default Re: Is sugar Ray Leonard the greatest welterweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
What is Ray Leonard better at that Ray Robinson?
Defense. Leonard in general was more elusive than Robinson. He more or less matches Robinson in terms of hand speed, too. He didn't have SRR's power, but he hit hard enough in his own right to keep Robinson from going all out.

I think this is a pretty tight match-up; and I honestly think Leonard takes one of three from Robinson in a three fight series.
Drew101 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #62
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: "...The Land of Dixon and Langford..."
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 3930
Default Re: Is sugar Ray Leonard the greatest welterweight?

As an addendum: I would like to note that the I also believe that the WW incarnation of Armstrong could do the same thing that Duran and take at least one fight from Leonard. It's part of the reason why I rate him #2 AT at WW.
Drew101 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #63
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
Posts: 2,439
vCash: 157
Default Re: Is sugar Ray Leonard the greatest welterweight?

I've been meaning to ask, Drew who's in your avatar?
Garrus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #64
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: "...The Land of Dixon and Langford..."
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 3930
Default Re: Is sugar Ray Leonard the greatest welterweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrus View Post
I've been meaning to ask, Drew who's in your avatar?
Genero Hernandez.

A more important question to ask is who is in your avatar?
Drew101 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #65
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
Posts: 2,439
vCash: 157
Default Re: Is sugar Ray Leonard the greatest welterweight?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Brazilian model.

Her name escapes me..
Garrus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #66
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,861
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is sugar Ray Leonard the greatest welterweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
Admittedly, it's slightly harder to win an argument here, than it is on the General
DId you ever see Ray Robinson on film as a welterweight ? Everything Leonard could do Robinson could do better and Robby hit much harder, fought 200 bouts, four times as many as Leonard who was a shot fighter
after 45 or so bouts...To compare Leonard [who was great ] to a Ray Robinson talent wise or career length, is not fair to Ray Leonard,who in an interview agreed that SRR was the BEST...No way a 12-15 pound lighter Leonard beats the PRIME MW Jake LaMotta 4 times...
burt bienstock is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #67
Aaron Contreras
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is sugar Ray Leonard the greatest welterweight?

No -- and frankly, it's not even close. Leonard a great fighter in his own right, doesn't compare to Sugar Ray Robinson.

Even Henry Armstrong did some great things at Welterweight.

Why is this even a discussion?
Aaron Contreras is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #68
Aaron Contreras
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is sugar Ray Leonard the greatest welterweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
Defense. Leonard in general was more elusive than Robinson. He more or less matches Robinson in terms of hand speed, too. He didn't have SRR's power, but he hit hard enough in his own right to keep Robinson from going all out.

I think this is a pretty tight match-up; and I honestly think Leonard takes one of three from Robinson in a three fight series.
Robinson beat Gavilan (who in some ways, Leonard resembled) twice. Albeit, both fights were close.

Who did Leonard beat which resembled the pugilistic perfection that was Sugar Ray Robinson?
Aaron Contreras is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #69
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: "...The Land of Dixon and Langford..."
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 3930
Default Re: Is sugar Ray Leonard the greatest welterweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Contreras View Post
Robinson beat Gavilan (who in some ways, Leonard resembled) twice. Albeit, both fights were close.

Who did Leonard beat which resembled the pugilistic perfection that was Sugar Ray Robinson?
Well, he proved he could handle a variety of different styles, from the tall ranger quick-fisted banger (Hearns) to the superlative defensive wizard (Benitez). And SRR could be troubled by smooth, slick counter-puncher types if he failed to take them out early (Servo, Dykes, and Gavilan were examples of this).

Leonard had a nice blend of speed, skill and power, and his defense was better than SRR's (though SRR's D wasn't porous by any means). That means he's got a chance against anyone; even Robinson.
Drew101 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #70
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,259
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is sugar Ray Leonard the greatest welterweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
Well, he proved he could handle a variety of different styles, from the tall ranger quick-fisted banger (Hearns) to the superlative defensive wizard (Benitez). And SRR could be troubled by smooth, slick counter-puncher types if he failed to take them out early (Servo, Dykes, and Gavilan were examples of this).

Leonard had a nice blend of speed, skill and power, and his defense was better than SRR's (though SRR's D wasn't porous by any means). That means he's got a chance against anyone; even Robinson.
I agree.
Bokaj is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #71
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,259
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is sugar Ray Leonard the greatest welterweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
Personally, I believe Leonard would have handled Pryor convincingly. Pryor's only advantage over Leonard is workrate, and Leonard had great stamina himself.
Yeah, I can't see Pryor winning at all myself either. He needed a "pick-me-up" to get past an Arguello who was fighting above his best weight. Here he would be fighting above his best weight, and if he takes those same rights from Leonard (which I belive he would) I can't see him making it.
Bokaj is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #72
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,259
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is sugar Ray Leonard the greatest welterweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Contreras View Post
Robinson beat Gavilan (who in some ways, Leonard resembled) twice. Albeit, both fights were close.

Who did Leonard beat which resembled the pugilistic perfection that was Sugar Ray Robinson?
Hearns is pretty similar to Robinson. Chinnier and more vulnerable on the inside, yes, but also more powerful and with a very clear edge in height and reach. Even more devastating on the outside, I'd say. Could quite possibly be the p4p most dangerous on the outside in the history of the sport at WW.

And the outside and is where Robinson also should try and keep the fight for the majority. In close I think Leonard's superior strength prevails.
Bokaj is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #73
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is sugar Ray Leonard the greatest welterweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatcher View Post
Pryor was closer to Lw than WW imo and I would rather have seen him vs Duran than Leonard.

I hate mismatches due to size disparity.

Robinson and Leonard is the best matchup to be made at welter in the history of the sport, at least from 1943 onward.
Pryor never seemed to have any trouble beating taller opponents in his prime, in fact he destroyed them quiet well. If I recall correct, he knocked out 36/37 opponents. Pryor was rated the greatest light weight, his wins over Alexis ArgŁello who was same height leonard, at 5'6 it'd be norm for him fighting taller guy. I'd actually like to see how Leonard would have handled it. Besides being taller than Leonard didn't seem to be a big advantage. Duran, norris and comacho were all shorter. And the only prime defeat, duran, was basically the same height as pryor.
hernanday is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #74
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is sugar Ray Leonard the greatest welterweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
Personally, I believe Leonard would have handled Pryor convincingly. Pryor's only advantage over Leonard is workrate, and Leonard had great stamina himself.
Yeah and Pryor could also knock him out with all those wild punches. Not saying he will win, not saying it is definitive, but it is a realisitic possiblity he gets in a lucky shot or gets a win on points like duran did
hernanday is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #75
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is sugar Ray Leonard the greatest welterweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Yeah, I can't see Pryor winning at all myself either. He needed a "pick-me-up" to get past an Arguello who was fighting above his best weight. Here he would be fighting above his best weight, and if he takes those same rights from Leonard (which I belive he would) I can't see him making it.
Fair enough
hernanday is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013