Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
brando
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,198
vCash: 500
Default Was Manny Pacquiao defamed or not?

What is defamation in your opinion? Explain.
brando is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: the few, the proud, the Philippines
Posts: 4,439
vCash: 75
Default Re: Was Manny Pacquiao defamed or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
What is defamation in your opinion? Explain.
For me, when a reputation on a person was compromised due to comments/accusations of another person.

You can see that there are actually people who believed in the trash the Mayweather clan spewed.

SO yeah, Pacquiao was defamed IMO.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
KnuckleUp99
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,541
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Manny Pacquiao defamed or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
What is defamation in your opinion? Explain.
Of course......Spreading damaging accusations whether "True" or not, without evidence to support those accusations is defamation.

To win a defamation case in court there has to be evidence that proves the person who's name is being "defamed" has some how damaged their reputation, character or prevented them from earning money that otherwise would have been available if not for the accusations.

That's what makes defamation cases so hard to win....because a lot of it is subjective.....but in this case...Floyd and his family dug their own grave which is why they settled. Financially for them...it was the easiest route to take because they were NOT going to win that battle in court and the financial consequences would have been far worse.
KnuckleUp99 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
MarioBrothers
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: crackhouse
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 75
Default Re: Was Manny Pacquiao defamed or not?

marquez defamed pacquiao more than floyd
MarioBrothers is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 30,330
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Manny Pacquiao defamed or not?

[IMG]http://absolutelytrue.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/who-give-a-****.jpg[/IMG]
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
KnuckleUp99
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,541
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Manny Pacquiao defamed or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioBrothers View Post
marquez defamed pacquiao more than floyd
I have to admit.......this was funny.
KnuckleUp99 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
prelude
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,891
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Manny Pacquiao defamed or not?

PAC was not defamed in anyway at all, it's free speech. It should have been an honor for the Mayweathers to get to sit in a chair and bash about what a cheat PAC is. I still don't understand why they ran from that, that's what they're supposed to do best.
prelude is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
hofbrau
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,232
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Manny Pacquiao defamed or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude View Post
PAC was not defamed in anyway at all, it's free speech. It should have been an honor for the Mayweathers to get to sit in a chair and bash about what a cheat PAC is. I still don't understand why they ran from that, that's what they're supposed to do best.
According to Attorney Keith Sullivan, who represents the Boxing Writers Association of America(BWAA), and several pro fighters, "Defamation suits are difficult because you must prove financial damages," he said. "However, when it's an allegation that a person was dishonest or cheated in the course of their profession or career, it is called "Defamation Per Se," which does not require proof of financial damages. Team Mayweather would have undoubtedly lost this lawsuit," Sullivan said. "I suspect this was a suit grounded in principle. I hope this resolution is an entree to 'The Fight!''.
hofbrau is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
Skilletscuz
mma champ Ronda Rousey
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fighting emo retards with logic
Posts: 2,781
vCash: 75
Default Re: Was Manny Pacquiao defamed or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
What is defamation in your opinion? Explain.
lol, read it in the ****ing dictionary, stupid!

As in Pacquiao being defamed - yes

That is why there was a legal settlement
Skilletscuz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: the DIRTY SOUTH
Posts: 23,780
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Manny Pacquiao defamed or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
[IMG]http://absolutelytrue.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/who-give-a-****.jpg[/IMG]
fag floyd mayweather fans should....shocker you (they) dont
iceman71 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #11
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 30,330
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Manny Pacquiao defamed or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman71 View Post
fag floyd mayweather fans should....shocker you (they) dont
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
KnuckleUp99
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,541
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Manny Pacquiao defamed or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude View Post
PAC was not defamed in anyway at all, it's free speech. It should have been an honor for the Mayweathers to get to sit in a chair and bash about what a cheat PAC is. I still don't understand why they ran from that, that's what they're supposed to do best.
No one is bashing free speech kid. Floyd said what he said and was "free" to say it....but sometimes as a man, taking too many liberties that can damage or harm others have consequences. As Floyd knows first hand now.

Actions and words can have both positive and negative implications. And as a man.....you have to be willing accept the consequences if you **** up.

You say it would be an "honor" for Floyd to be able sit in a chair and bash Pac about what a "cheat" Pac is.....the only problem with that the burden of proof would be on Floyd to "prove" his accusations as "true"....with facts or evidence....without facts or evidence the accusations become "defamatory".

Which is unlawful......Not exactly the kind of "honor" most people look for.
KnuckleUp99 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #13
AxlRose
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,567
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Manny Pacquiao defamed or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude View Post
PAC was not defamed in anyway at all, it's free speech. It should have been an honor for the Mayweathers to get to sit in a chair and bash about what a cheat PAC is. I still don't understand why they ran from that, that's what they're supposed to do best.
Some legal giant here. Defamation/ libel is not covered by free speech.
AxlRose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #14
P.M.
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 702
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Manny Pacquiao defamed or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilletscuz View Post
lol, read it in the ****ing dictionary, stupid!

As in Pacquiao being defamed - yes

That is why there was a legal settlement
did Pacquiao lose money, endorsement deals, public opinion? Settling the case doesn't necessary mean mayweather would have loss, it's just easier to pay to get the monkeymoff his back for say. Just pay up and be done with it or be tied up in court for who knows how long. For guys with their type of money it's just easier. I really don't think Pacquiao was hurt career wise by anything mayweather says, suing is just a 1up type of thing. He can feel good he won that and shut Floyd up.
P.M. is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #15
Skilletscuz
mma champ Ronda Rousey
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fighting emo retards with logic
Posts: 2,781
vCash: 75
Default Re: Was Manny Pacquiao defamed or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude View Post
PAC was not defamed in anyway at all, it's free speech. It should have been an honor for the Mayweathers to get to sit in a chair and bash about what a cheat PAC is. I still don't understand why they ran from that, that's what they're supposed to do best.
Ummm, you obviously don't understand the concept of Defamation....

To accuse someone of something w/o substantiated proof or evidence, and those accusations can possibly affect their way of living o undermine their earning, is the grounds to have a libel/defamation lawsuit.

You do have the freedom of speech, but if it directly adversely affects another's well-being, then there are repercussions to your actions, or is that also a concept you don't understand? If not, that explains alot about your intelligence
Skilletscuz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013