Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
freddy-wak
M O D E R A T O R
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Why give ward s*** for fighting at home ??

it aint like he's felix sturming it getting gift decisions and shit...the dude is dominating everyone he fights, and sells a nice crowd at home...so why the hate ????

dont give me the mental edge shit either, cause sometimes it's harder to fight in front of your hometown due to the nerves of wanting to win....
freddy-wak is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
mgdb26
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3528
Default Re: Why give ward shit for fighting at home ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyquil View Post
people looking for something to nitpick about an almost flawless fighter.

99% of the people doing it are butt hurt Brits.
mgdb26 is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
oibighead
G.O.A.T.
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdb26 View Post

99% of the people doing it are butt hurt Brits.
huh?
oibighead is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174

Quote:

Bingo. When the butthurt kicks in, the excuses start piling up.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
freddy-wak
M O D E R A T O R
East Side VIP

figured....
ward is top notch and his attitude is great....his job is to fight, not promote or pick venues
freddy-wak is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
mgdb26
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3528

Quote:
Originally Posted by oibighead View Post
huh?
99% of the people complaining about how Ward fights at home are Brits.
mgdb26 is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
oibighead
G.O.A.T.
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdb26 View Post
99% of the people complaining about how Ward fights at home are Brits.
....Not really

How did you calculate that, or are you speaking out of your vagina?
oibighead is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
Elvizzz
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Why not? All "homeboys" gets the same treatment... I tell you what... If Ward came to Denmark and fought Kessler without Jack Reiss I would respect him... Great skills, often boring fights...
Elvizzz is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
TheUzi
MISSION INCOMPLETE
ESB Addict

vCash: 315

He should've faced a fighter abroad in the super 6, he's that good he'd have still won convincingly.
TheUzi is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy-wak View Post
it aint like he's felix sturming it getting gift decisions and shit...the dude is dominating everyone he fights, and sells a nice crowd at home...so why the hate ????

dont give me the mental edge shit either, cause sometimes it's harder to fight in front of your hometown due to the nerves of wanting to win....
I dont think it would have been such a big deal if it wasnt for the fact he was in a competition where all of the original fighters went on the road at some point accept Ward. The runner up was away 5 out of 6 times, whilst Ward stayed at home.

The fights have had faults where he has been at home. Look how Kessler was butted, yet Kessler was the fighter being warned for head use, which gives an unfair advantage.
Look at how Bika had elbows used on him with no warnings given and how Bika was winning some rounds and not being scored.

There is a mental edge if you can illegally hold, use elbows and heads and your opponent is the one getting the warnings

Still Ward would never go into a world title fight against a European fighter in Europe. No way and his team knew that and avoided that situation
bailey is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
Porgeous Porge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Besides a few ATG or a bunch of journeyman road warriors most fighters do not fight on the road a lot

Think of the current greats, Floyd rarely leaves Vegas and if he does its in AC, Manny even though he isnt American he has been adopted by the US audiences he fights in Vegas and Texas and basically has home field advantage, Roy Jones didnt really leave the US til he was past his prime, Hopkins minus Mercado 1 never really travelled in his prime, Toney didnt travel

Euro Greats- Ottke, Calzaghe, Erdei, Maske, and Dariuz M. rarely or never left Europe

Ward should not be held responsible for not traveling when most boxers fight at home most of their career

the only criticism is that he was in a tournament where other fighters had to travel and he really didnt

the only fighters i can think of who regularly fought around the world would be, Muhammad Ali, Foreman fought his title reign abroad, Jack Johnson but that wasnt by choice, Tommy Burns, Ray Robinson defended over seas though i dont know how many times
Porgeous Porge is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porgeous Porge View Post
Besides a few ATG or a bunch of journeyman road warriors most fighters do not fight on the road a lot

Think of the current greats, Floyd rarely leaves Vegas and if he does its in AC, Manny even though he isnt American he has been adopted by the US audiences he fights in Vegas and Texas and basically has home field advantage, Roy Jones didnt really leave the US til he was past his prime, Hopkins minus Mercado 1 never really travelled in his prime, Toney didnt travel

Euro Greats- Ottke, Calzaghe, Erdei, Maske, and Dariuz M. rarely or never left Europe

Ward should not be held responsible for not traveling when most boxers fight at home most of their career

the only criticism is that he was in a tournament where other fighters had to travel and he really didnt

the only fighters i can think of who regularly fought around the world would be, Muhammad Ali, Foreman fought his title reign abroad, Jack Johnson but that wasnt by choice, Tommy Burns, Ray Robinson defended over seas though i dont know how many times
What an absolutely amazing punch of boxing names you have displayed there in Ottke, Calzaghe, Erdei, Maske, and Dariuz M. I could add to that list, but still what an outstanding top bunch of Pro boxers where each one had their turn at being the top man of their division
bailey is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
Divi253
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 9062

Quote:
Divi253 is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
MAJR
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 744

I think there is a case for the argument that Ward should have fought at least one of the Super Six fights as the away fighter - I know that the final wasn't in California but Ward was hardly the away guy there against Froch.

When you have a global tournament which involved the some of the best fighters in you division which include a Jamacian, an Armenian and Englishman, and a Dane and you fight the Englishman, Armenian and Dane but only leave your own state for the final then you are inviting criticism for being "protected" and "afraid to travel".

It kind of devalued the idea of the tournament slightly, that one guy got to fight all but the final in his backyard while the others had to travel thousands of miles to compete.

To contrast Ward, Froch got a hell of a lot of respect for being "that guy" that went to his opponents backyard no matter what. In the six fights he had in that tournament he only had one at home and five away - though the fight with Abraham could be said to have been a neutral venue.

Now, I dont subscribe to the idea of fighters who rarely travel being unable to be great boxers, but if they fight the majority of their fights in their home state/nation then you have to accept that they're going to get criticised for it.
MAJR is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
The Mangler
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

I don't get it either. He wins too one sidedly for ppl to complain about it. He don't need help from the judges.
The Mangler is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum