Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #31
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Favourite moment/fight in a british ring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole
One of the memorable moments for me was when Johnny Frankham knocked down Tony Wilson in a British light heavy title fight. Wilson's mum got in the ring and attacked Frankham with her stiletto heeled shoe.
Steve McCarthy or Frankham ? Doubt it was Frankham he had his last fight in the mid 1970s

Yes that fight was funny. Tony Wilson became so embarrassed to go out etc after that fight that he went over to the Kronk gymn for a while according to newspapers in the Midlands. Never achieved much after that.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #32
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2006
Steve McCarthy or Frankham ? Doubt it was Frankham he had his last fight in the mid 1970s
Hmm. You're right. Why have I always remembered it as Johnny Frankham? Was he involved in any shoe related incidents?
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #33
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Hmm. You're right. Why have I always remembered it as Johnny Frankham? Was he involved in any shoe related incidents?
Could you be thinking of Bobby Frankham, and his incident?
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #34
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
Could you be thinking of Bobby Frankham, and his incident?
Now why does that name sound familiar?
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #35
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Now why does that name sound familiar?
He was the fighter who was banned for life, for attacking the ref after losing to Gyspy Carman in 1988. Frankham's actions also led to quite bad crowd trouble.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #36
sean
pale peice of pig`s ear
ESB Addict

as i get older timelines and names ring a bell but not always
in the correct fight or year as well, especially when you have seen 1000`s of fighters and fights.
sean is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #37
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
He was the fighter who was banned for life, for attacking the ref after losing to Gyspy Carman in 1988. Frankham's actions also led to quite bad crowd trouble.
Oh yeah. That was round about the same time as the stilletto incident.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #38
themacallan
Chin Chin
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
as i get older timelines and names ring a bell but not always in the correct fight or year as well, especially when you have seen 1000`s of fighters and fights.
Well that's not much use is it?
themacallan is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #39
henrik
fasthands
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 980

when dave "boy"green,fought an old jørgen hansen for the ebu title and was koéd in 4...what a loss..
henrik is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #40
D.Haye-no1-p4p
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Being at Hatton-Tszyu was amazing - great atmosphere. However, I'm a huge Tszyu fan so I was a little disappointed.

Calzaghe's domination over the favoured 'American star' Jeff Lacy is my personal favourite. Awesome performance, Joe proved his class.
D.Haye-no1-p4p is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #41
Dirt Sugar

Was 14th row of Benn v McLellan fight and I've never experienced an atmosphere like that in my life. We all know the horrific aftermath but I feel a mixture of guilt/privileged/humbled to have been so close to see two men literally fight for their lives.

It was war in there and the atmosphere in the London Arena that night was suffocating. There were scraps breaking out in the crowd before either fighter had got into the ring and just before the first bell, my mate I went with said prophetically "Someone's going to get seriously hurt tonight."

When Benn got knocked out of the ring early I just thought "75 quid... oh well, at least I got to see Mike McCallum fight." I really felt for Benn knowing how hard he'd trained only to get battered in a round in front of his home crowd and TBH, didn't really see much of the first round as everyone was up on their seats, but as the round went by he managed to survive and I tell you what, I've never felt part of a collective crowd in all my night as I was that evening. It was as if the whole arena (apart from G-man's corner, flunkies and the shock-haired one) was willing Benn back into the fight.

Then it just escalated in the second round when Benn started rolling and catching McClellan. Anyway, you don't see it on the ITV replay of the fight, but at the end of the second Benn just pumped his arm a la Robbie Keane after scoring for Spurs and the crowd went ballistic and the rest of the fight went from bedlam to pandemonium. The noise was unbelievable but even with all that din, you could hear the fighters' boots gripping in and screeching as they tried to take each other out.

Benns shots made the crowd go nuts, but McCllelan's sounded like a baseball bat being hit against a dead animal's carcass. How Benn came through that 8th round I'll never know. I mean, he was in as much if not more trouble than Hatton was against Mayweather and had taken twice the punishment Ricky had, but he still just kept hanging in there.

When the end came and McClellan didn't get up after that last right uppercut I must say the only time I've come to being so delirious/exhilarated/euphoric was at the birth of my daughter. I knew straight away that McClellan was really hurt which was an awful feeling. Someone who fights that hard just doesn't lie there and would want to be up telling everyone he is ok. As an ex amateur fighter from experience it's embarassing when you lose and you want to get out of that ring on your feet as soon as possible.

Anyway, a scouse lad stood next to us when the fight ended just lost it and ended up falling off his seat behind us.

My claim to fame is that when you watch the fight, in the background is a merchandise stall and I got the T-shirt which is pinned up on it. The girl, when I handed over my money just said "everyone's hands are shaking".

As tragic as the ending was, I don't think I'll ever see such an awesome fight or be caught up in an atmosphere like that again. I was knackered the next day. Totally drained.

Sorry to ramble but it was an amazing fight to have watched and for my mate Dave who came with me, it was his first ever time watching boxing amateur or pro, and he's a huge Liverpool fan but says he's never been to such an exciting sporting event and he was in the Kop during the 4-3 wonder-game against Newcastle when Collymore got the winner, so that's saying something from a diehard Reds fan.
Dirt Sugar is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #42
Bodysnatcher
Champion
East Side Guru

edit

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 02-13-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Bodysnatcher is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #43
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sugar
Was 14th row of Benn v McLellan fight and I've never experienced an atmosphere like that in my life. We all know the horrific aftermath but I feel a mixture of guilt/privileged/humbled to have been so close to see two men literally fight for their lives.

It was war in there and the atmosphere in the London Arena that night was suffocating. There were scraps breaking out in the crowd before either fighter had got into the ring and just before the first bell, my mate I went with said prophetically "Someone's going to get seriously hurt tonight."

When Benn got knocked out of the ring early I just thought "75 quid... oh well, at least I got to see Mike McCallum fight." I really felt for Benn knowing how hard he'd trained only to get battered in a round in front of his home crowd and TBH, didn't really see much of the first round as everyone was up on their seats, but as the round went by he managed to survive and I tell you what, I've never felt part of a collective crowd in all my night as I was that evening. It was as if the whole arena (apart from G-man's corner, flunkies and the shock-haired one) was willing Benn back into the fight.

Then it just escalated in the second round when Benn started rolling and catching McClellan. Anyway, you don't see it on the ITV replay of the fight, but at the end of the second Benn just pumped his arm a la Robbie Keane after scoring for Spurs and the crowd went ballistic and the rest of the fight went from bedlam to pandemonium. The noise was unbelievable but even with all that din, you could hear the fighters' boots gripping in and screeching as they tried to take each other out.

Benns shots made the crowd go nuts, but McCllelan's sounded like a baseball bat being hit against a dead animal's carcass. How Benn came through that 8th round I'll never know. I mean, he was in as much if not more trouble than Hatton was against Mayweather and had taken twice the punishment Ricky had, but he still just kept hanging in there.

When the end came and McClellan didn't get up after that last right uppercut I must say the only time I've come to being so delirious/exhilarated/euphoric was at the birth of my daughter. I knew straight away that McClellan was really hurt which was an awful feeling. Someone who fights that hard just doesn't lie there and would want to be up telling everyone he is ok. As an ex amateur fighter from experience it's embarassing when you lose and you want to get out of that ring on your feet as soon as possible.

Anyway, a scouse lad stood next to us when the fight ended just lost it and ended up falling off his seat behind us.

My claim to fame is that when you watch the fight, in the background is a merchandise stall and I got the T-shirt which is pinned up on it. The girl, when I handed over my money just said "everyone's hands are shaking".

As tragic as the ending was, I don't think I'll ever see such an awesome fight or be caught up in an atmosphere like that again. I was knackered the next day. Totally drained.

Sorry to ramble but it was an amazing fight to have watched and for my mate Dave who came with me, it was his first ever time watching boxing amateur or pro, and he's a huge Liverpool fan but says he's never been to such an exciting sporting event and he was in the Kop during the 4-3 wonder-game against Newcastle when Collymore got the winner, so that's saying something from a diehard Reds fan.
Great post, thanks for sharing. I watched the fight in a pub that was going mental from the 2nd onwards as Benn clawed his way back, it must have been wild to acually be there....
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #44
themacallan
Chin Chin
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

I'm all tingly after reading that. What a night it was. Both me and my flatmate at the time, who couldn't care less about boxing were both screaming like madmen at the telly the whole fight.
themacallan is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 02:33 AM   #45
joekirkbycobra
King Of The Ring
ESB Addict

calzaghe puttin' eubank on his pompass arse
joekirkbycobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum