boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-05-2008, 08:26 AM   #46
Gneus7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 391
Default Re: Favourite moment/fight in a british ring?

Calzaghe - Lacy no doubt

Last edited by Maxime; 01-29-2007 at 07:08 AM.
Gneus7 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #47
gullimore123

vCash: 1000

bobby frankham never lost to gypsy carman, it was billy sims

and jonny frankham wasnt involved in the shoe inciedent, no frankham woz
gullimore123 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #48
turpinr
Champion
East Side Guru

benn versus mclellan
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #49
safc1990
Goodbye Bolo :(
ESB Addict

vCash: 2952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sugar View Post
Was 14th row of Benn v McLellan fight and I've never experienced an atmosphere like that in my life. We all know the horrific aftermath but I feel a mixture of guilt/privileged/humbled to have been so close to see two men literally fight for their lives.

It was war in there and the atmosphere in the London Arena that night was suffocating. There were s****s breaking out in the crowd before either fighter had got into the ring and just before the first bell, my mate I went with said prophetically "Someone's going to get seriously hurt tonight."

When Benn got knocked out of the ring early I just thought "75 quid... oh well, at least I got to see Mike McCallum fight." I really felt for Benn knowing how hard he'd trained only to get battered in a round in front of his home crowd and TBH, didn't really see much of the first round as everyone was up on their seats, but as the round went by he managed to survive and I tell you what, I've never felt part of a collective crowd in all my night as I was that evening. It was as if the whole arena (apart from G-man's corner, flunkies and the shock-haired one) was willing Benn back into the fight.

Then it just escalated in the second round when Benn started rolling and catching McClellan. Anyway, you don't see it on the ITV replay of the fight, but at the end of the second Benn just pumped his arm a la Robbie Keane after scoring for Spurs and the crowd went ballistic and the rest of the fight went from bedlam to pandemonium. The noise was unbelievable but even with all that din, you could hear the fighters' boots gripping in and screeching as they tried to take each other out.

Benns shots made the crowd go nuts, but McCllelan's sounded like a baseball bat being hit against a dead animal's carcass. How Benn came through that 8th round I'll never know. I mean, he was in as much if not more trouble than Hatton was against Mayweather and had taken twice the punishment Ricky had, but he still just kept hanging in there.

When the end came and McClellan didn't get up after that last right uppercut I must say the only time I've come to being so delirious/exhilarated/euphoric was at the birth of my daughter. I knew straight away that McClellan was really hurt which was an awful feeling. Someone who fights that hard just doesn't lie there and would want to be up telling everyone he is ok. As an ex amateur fighter from experience it's embarassing when you lose and you want to get out of that ring on your feet as soon as possible.

Anyway, a scouse lad stood next to us when the fight ended just lost it and ended up falling off his seat behind us.

My claim to fame is that when you watch the fight, in the background is a merchandise stall and I got the T-shirt which is pinned up on it. The girl, when I handed over my money just said "everyone's hands are shaking".

As tragic as the ending was, I don't think I'll ever see such an awesome fight or be caught up in an atmosphere like that again. I was knackered the next day. Totally drained.

Sorry to ramble but it was an amazing fight to have watched and for my mate Dave who came with me, it was his first ever time watching boxing amateur or pro, and he's a huge Liverpool fan but says he's never been to such an exciting sporting event and he was in the Kop during the 4-3 wonder-game against Newcastle when Collymore got the winner, so that's saying something from a diehard Reds fan.
Fantastic post.
safc1990 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #50
Surgical

Macklin v Moore.

What a fight.
Surgical is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #51
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sugar View Post
Was 14th row of Benn v McLellan fight and I've never experienced an atmosphere like that in my life. We all know the horrific aftermath but I feel a mixture of guilt/privileged/humbled to have been so close to see two men literally fight for their lives.

It was war in there and the atmosphere in the London Arena that night was suffocating. There were s****s breaking out in the crowd before either fighter had got into the ring and just before the first bell, my mate I went with said prophetically "Someone's going to get seriously hurt tonight."

When Benn got knocked out of the ring early I just thought "75 quid... oh well, at least I got to see Mike McCallum fight." I really felt for Benn knowing how hard he'd trained only to get battered in a round in front of his home crowd and TBH, didn't really see much of the first round as everyone was up on their seats, but as the round went by he managed to survive and I tell you what, I've never felt part of a collective crowd in all my night as I was that evening. It was as if the whole arena (apart from G-man's corner, flunkies and the shock-haired one) was willing Benn back into the fight.

Then it just escalated in the second round when Benn started rolling and catching McClellan. Anyway, you don't see it on the ITV replay of the fight, but at the end of the second Benn just pumped his arm a la Robbie Keane after scoring for Spurs and the crowd went ballistic and the rest of the fight went from bedlam to pandemonium. The noise was unbelievable but even with all that din, you could hear the fighters' boots gripping in and screeching as they tried to take each other out.

Benns shots made the crowd go nuts, but McCllelan's sounded like a baseball bat being hit against a dead animal's carcass. How Benn came through that 8th round I'll never know. I mean, he was in as much if not more trouble than Hatton was against Mayweather and had taken twice the punishment Ricky had, but he still just kept hanging in there.

When the end came and McClellan didn't get up after that last right uppercut I must say the only time I've come to being so delirious/exhilarated/euphoric was at the birth of my daughter. I knew straight away that McClellan was really hurt which was an awful feeling. Someone who fights that hard just doesn't lie there and would want to be up telling everyone he is ok. As an ex amateur fighter from experience it's embarassing when you lose and you want to get out of that ring on your feet as soon as possible.

Anyway, a scouse lad stood next to us when the fight ended just lost it and ended up falling off his seat behind us.

My claim to fame is that when you watch the fight, in the background is a merchandise stall and I got the T-shirt which is pinned up on it. The girl, when I handed over my money just said "everyone's hands are shaking".

As tragic as the ending was, I don't think I'll ever see such an awesome fight or be caught up in an atmosphere like that again. I was knackered the next day. Totally drained.

Sorry to ramble but it was an amazing fight to have watched and for my mate Dave who came with me, it was his first ever time watching boxing amateur or pro, and he's a huge Liverpool fan but says he's never been to such an exciting sporting event and he was in the Kop during the 4-3 wonder-game against Newcastle when Collymore got the winner, so that's saying something from a diehard Reds fan.
what a cracking read that was....thanks fella...I could nearly picture being there....the atmosphere you described was very like dunne v cordoba....ie... the whole place helping their man on...
again...cracking post !!
doug.ie is online now  Top
Old 10-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #52
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

When Khan got destroyed.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #53
Jordan
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Lol, thought I was actually there reading that! Got another?!

Audley winning Prizefighter lol
Jordan is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #54
StevenB
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Can't top the great post above for Benn - McLellan. The best fight to take place in recent times in the UK, if not ever. I remember very clearly not being able to watch as Benn was being pummelled in the first. At the end of the fight, I got a horrible feeling of guilt as poor McLellan lay broken after I'd just willed Benn to knock his head off for 10 rounds.

My favourite live experience was in Cardiff for Calzaghe v Kessler...I was only 20 rows back and the atmosphere was incredible. I was so nervous before the fight...nothing matches that feeling of anticipation you get as the fighters walk to the ring and then Michael Buffer does his thing!!
StevenB is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #55
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I watched the Benn vs McClellan fight in a pub in Ilford, Benn's own backyard. The atmosphere was electric.
I was at the Andy Holligan vs Shea neary fight, another great night.
on the amateur front was the John Hyland vs Paul Hodkinson fight at The Stadium. What a venue and a cracking fight.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2009, 12:35 PM   #56
bennie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

When they created the British super-featherweight title in 1986 and nobody could hold on to it for five minutes. It was an amazing jinx that lasted years.
My favourite amateur moment would be John Lyon moving up from light-flyweight and looking like a monster at flyweight. It was like Duran moving up to welterweight.
bennie is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #57
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

calzaghe kessler.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #58
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
When Khan got destroyed.
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #59
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

Danny Williams one armed win vs Potter was amazing. Genuine courage from Wiliams

Gomez Arthur was the best for me though, liked Gomaz a lot more in them days
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #60
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennie View Post
When they created the British super-featherweight title in 1986 and nobody could hold on to it for five minutes. It was an amazing jinx that lasted years.
who was it broke that jinx ?...was it michael gomez?...or was it earlier than that ?..{was floyd harvard champ of that title when he retired?..or had he vacated it?..i seem to remember him being around domestic for a while..}

also...i thought the super feather title was around since late 60's...was it vacant for a lot of years or something ?...maybe i'm talking ****, ignore me if i am

i remember a great boxer, or i thought was a great boxer, pj gallagher defending that title against charlie shepard..late 90's sometime..i was sure gallagher was world title bound, but he disapeared.
doug.ie is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum