Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-27-2009, 03:45 AM   #61
Kid Lucky
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Favourite moment/fight in a british ring?

My favourite moment was Lloyd Honeyghan racing off his stool to knock down Johnny Bumphus as he got off his as the bell rang to start a round (the second I think), and Lou Duva in the corner going nuts (as usual).

Favourite fight in British ring has to be McClellan v Benn as described above. Was watching at home with my now wife who doesn't like boxing at all but she was on her feet shouting at the telly by the end. With the tragic outcome she's never watched boxing since.

'War, Baby' is a excellent book about this fight - well worth reading.
Kid Lucky is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2009, 04:09 AM   #62
stegsie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Being ringside for Moore -V- Macklin

Classic fight; felt privileged just to be there. amazing.
stegsie is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2009, 04:16 AM   #63
dan-b
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sugar View Post
Was 14th row of Benn v McLellan fight and I've never experienced an atmosphere like that in my life. We all know the horrific aftermath but I feel a mixture of guilt/privileged/humbled to have been so close to see two men literally fight for their lives.

It was war in there and the atmosphere in the London Arena that night was suffocating. There were scraps breaking out in the crowd before either fighter had got into the ring and just before the first bell, my mate I went with said prophetically "Someone's going to get seriously hurt tonight."

When Benn got knocked out of the ring early I just thought "75 quid... oh well, at least I got to see Mike McCallum fight." I really felt for Benn knowing how hard he'd trained only to get battered in a round in front of his home crowd and TBH, didn't really see much of the first round as everyone was up on their seats, but as the round went by he managed to survive and I tell you what, I've never felt part of a collective crowd in all my night as I was that evening. It was as if the whole arena (apart from G-man's corner, flunkies and the shock-haired one) was willing Benn back into the fight.

Then it just escalated in the second round when Benn started rolling and catching McClellan. Anyway, you don't see it on the ITV replay of the fight, but at the end of the second Benn just pumped his arm a la Robbie Keane after scoring for Spurs and the crowd went ballistic and the rest of the fight went from bedlam to pandemonium. The noise was unbelievable but even with all that din, you could hear the fighters' boots gripping in and screeching as they tried to take each other out.

Benns shots made the crowd go nuts, but McCllelan's sounded like a baseball bat being hit against a dead animal's carcass. How Benn came through that 8th round I'll never know. I mean, he was in as much if not more trouble than Hatton was against Mayweather and had taken twice the punishment Ricky had, but he still just kept hanging in there.

When the end came and McClellan didn't get up after that last right uppercut I must say the only time I've come to being so delirious/exhilarated/euphoric was at the birth of my daughter. I knew straight away that McClellan was really hurt which was an awful feeling. Someone who fights that hard just doesn't lie there and would want to be up telling everyone he is ok. As an ex amateur fighter from experience it's embarassing when you lose and you want to get out of that ring on your feet as soon as possible.

Anyway, a scouse lad stood next to us when the fight ended just lost it and ended up falling off his seat behind us.

My claim to fame is that when you watch the fight, in the background is a merchandise stall and I got the T-shirt which is pinned up on it. The girl, when I handed over my money just said "everyone's hands are shaking".

As tragic as the ending was, I don't think I'll ever see such an awesome fight or be caught up in an atmosphere like that again. I was knackered the next day. Totally drained.

Sorry to ramble but it was an amazing fight to have watched and for my mate Dave who came with me, it was his first ever time watching boxing amateur or pro, and he's a huge Liverpool fan but says he's never been to such an exciting sporting event and he was in the Kop during the 4-3 wonder-game against Newcastle when Collymore got the winner, so that's saying something from a diehard Reds fan.
I felt emotional reading that.
dan-b is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2009, 04:32 AM   #64
bennie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.ie View Post
who was it broke that jinx ?...was it michael gomez?...or was it earlier than that ?..{was floyd harvard champ of that title when he retired?..or had he vacated it?..i seem to remember him being around domestic for a while..}

also...i thought the super feather title was around since late 60's...was it vacant for a lot of years or something ?...maybe i'm talking crap, ignore me if i am

i remember a great boxer, or i thought was a great boxer, pj gallagher defending that title against charlie shepard..late 90's sometime..i was sure gallagher was world title bound, but he disapeared.
No, you're spot on and very well spotted. Jimmy Anderson won a Lonsdale Belt outright in the late 1960s at super-feather and then they disbanded it due to lack of popularity (the 'junior' divisions were always unpopular back then with the paying fans, of which there were a helluva lot more than there are today), before it was brought back in 1986.
The jinx was busted by Welsh southpaw Neil Haddock in 1992 after the title had changed hands 13 times in a champion's first defence.
bennie is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2009, 04:50 AM   #65
bennie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Wink Re: Favourite moment/fight in a british ring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik View Post
when dave "boy"green,fought an old jrgen hansen for the ebu title and was kod in 4...what a loss..
Henrik, that was in a Danish ring but we forgive your indulgence.
bennie is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2009, 05:29 AM   #66
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik View Post
when dave "boy"green,fought an old jrgen hansen for the ebu title and was kod in 4...what a loss..

I remember it well, what a shock.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2009, 05:31 AM   #67
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennie View Post
No, you're spot on and very well spotted. Jimmy Anderson won a Lonsdale Belt outright in the late 1960s at super-feather and then they disbanded it due to lack of popularity (the 'junior' divisions were always unpopular back then with the paying fans, of which there were a helluva lot more than there are today), before it was brought back in 1986.
The jinx was busted by Welsh southpaw Neil Haddock in 1992 after the title had changed hands 13 times in a champion's first defence.
you are a knowledgeable man bennie...good to 'virtually' know you.

you know, i'm surprised that jim mcdonnell never held that title.

and you mentioned haddock breaking the jinx, he lost it to havard, right?..cuts if i remember...also remember steve robinson beating him in similar fashion..but havard won a rematch, and that was not long before robinson won the wbo title.

i remember these fights from the excellent 'pro box' that was on a sky channel called screensport...it was shut down before the mid 90's, but it had some great fights on it...and thats when barry mcguigan was an excellent commentator.
they showed the two fights between nelson and fenech around that time too...and that rematch shocked the hell out of me, i was mourning nelson before the fight...but i'm going off topic..

bennie...do you remember pj gallagher ?...what did you think of him ?
doug.ie is online now  Top
Old 10-27-2009, 05:33 AM   #68
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
I remember it well, what a shock.
i remember watching that too.hansen looked like a pile of crap and green was strolling it and.................oh ****
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #69
TheGiftedOne
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Carl Thompson sparking Sebastien Rothmann is one of my fave moments in a British ring, as well as Haye sparking Enzo. The atmosphere at Hatton Vs Tszyu is the best I've experienced at any sport
TheGiftedOne is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #70
David UK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain&Northern Ireland

Honeyghan v Bumphus. Start of Round Two

I was there and will never forgot it!!! So funny

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=8jNXMOJTiVY[/ame]
David UK is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2009, 09:57 AM   #71
David UK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
He was the fighter who was banned for life, for attacking the ref after losing to Gyspy Carman in 1988. Frankham's actions also led to quite bad crowd trouble.
I was at that one as well!!! It was on the undercard of Horace Notice v dean Waters for the Commonwealth HW title. Frankham's opponent was Billy Sim from East London and yes, the gyppos kicked off big time.

Bobby Frankham was a very skillful fighter but after his banning, went unlicenced, then gave up completely and was reputed to have ballooned up to around the 20st mark. As a pro he was a Light heavy
David UK is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #72
GrovesVDegale

vCash:

Favourite fights, there's so many, but these stand out:

Calzaghe v Lacy
Hamed v Robinson
Benn v McClellan
Haye v Maccarinelli
Hatton v Tszyu

Favourite moment, there can only be one:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouu_zPXZB48[/ame]
Old 10-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #73
bennie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.ie View Post
you are a knowledgeable man bennie...good to 'virtually' know you.

you know, i'm surprised that jim mcdonnell never held that title.

and you mentioned haddock breaking the jinx, he lost it to havard, right?..cuts if i remember...also remember steve robinson beating him in similar fashion..but havard won a rematch, and that was not long before robinson won the wbo title.

i remember these fights from the excellent 'pro box' that was on a sky channel called screensport...it was shut down before the mid 90's, but it had some great fights on it...and thats when barry mcguigan was an excellent commentator.
they showed the two fights between nelson and fenech around that time too...and that rematch shocked the hell out of me, i was mourning nelson before the fight...but i'm going off topic..

bennie...do you remember pj gallagher ?...what did you think of him ?
Good, strong fighter with plenty of cute moves and durability. I seem to recall he suffered with problems towards the end of his career concerning his stamina, a bit like Kevin Bennett.
bennie is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #74
David UK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrovesVDegale View Post

Calzaghe v Lacy
Hamed v Robinson
Benn v McClellan
Haye v Maccarinelli
Hatton v Tszyu

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Loved that too
David UK is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #75
bennie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrovesVDegale View Post

Calzaghe v Lacy
Hamed v Robinson
Benn v McClellan
Haye v Maccarinelli
Hatton v Tszyu

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
On this same theme, when Joe Bugner finally showed some aggression and stopped Richard Dunn in the first round at Wembley back in the 1970s, it was marked by the hilarious climax of poor Dunn struggling up from a third knockdown as referee Harry Gibbs was waving his arms to signify 'ten and out'. Gibbs waved those big arms of his and karate-chopped Dunn on the back of the neck and sent him crashing back down to the canvas.
bennie is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum