Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-30-2008, 08:22 PM   #61
RUSKULL
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 2811
Default Re: Ring Magazines top 10 heavyweights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunney5
Yes, Peter is overrated.

Sam's best win is over a shot, overweight, past-prime James Toney (many thought he lost their first fight). And Peter doesn't have as much power as some people believe. He was taken the distance by Hawkins, who was stopped a few years ago by Maskaev and recently by Virchis. Sam did not knock McCline down, but Jameel had previously been stopped in the 10th round by Wladimir.
Brock also overcame a knockdown vs. McCline to have Jameel almost out a couple of rounds later.

Peter's power is over rated IMO. So are his boxing skills. I keep hearing how he improved for the 2nd Toney affair but in reality I believe Toney declined more than anything else. He probably got a gift decision in his very next fight vs. a nobody named Batchelder.
RUSKULL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2008, 08:26 PM   #62
RUSKULL
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher33
I rank Peter at 2 or 3, based on his most recent accomplishments. I dont know if you read any of previous posts, but the only other fighter I could see anyone ranking ahead of Peter at the 2 spot is Chagaev, I gave a very arguement to support my claim, I would love for you tell me why you have Iggy ahead of Sam Peter?
Iggy has a real belt, not an interim (sanction fee sucking) one.

Iggy looked pretty good winning that belt from Briggs.

Iggy looked pretty good beating Holyfield, who was on a winning streak.

Iggy beats Sammy head to head right now IMO.
RUSKULL is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2008, 08:33 PM   #63
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSKULL
Iggy has a real belt, not an interim (sanction fee sucking) one.

Iggy looked pretty good winning that belt from Briggs.

Iggy looked pretty good beating Holyfield, who was on a winning streak.

Iggy beats Sammy head to head right now IMO.
I think Iggy would pose a decent threat to a fighter like Peter, but were still not sure how good or bad Iggy's chin really is, which Im sure we will find out soon enough next month.

Based on recent accomplishments, I feel Peter has done more, a win over Toney and Mccline is greater than a wins over Holyfield and Briggs, seeing that Toney knocked out Holyfield and Mccline beat Briggs as well. Yes, Peter win over Toney the first time was close, but so was Iggys draw over a lesser oppenent in Austin a few years ago. If it wasnt for Maskeav backing out of his fights with Peter, he would have already been champ by now. On top of that many still dont consider the WBO one of the main belts, and it's certainly 4th best belt out there today.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #64
TFFP

vCash:

Sam Peter is garbage

I have him at 4th at the moment, after Chagaev and Ibragimov
Old 01-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #65
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
Sam Peter is garbage

I have him at 4th at the moment, after Chagaev and Ibragimov
Yet he's still ranked in your 4 spot, most not be that bad if he's 4th best Heavyweight in the world. If you look at Iggy's most recent victories compared to Peters, Peter's wins are over better competition. I dont see how anyone could have Iggy ahead of Peter, only Chagaev and Wlad have the resume to be ahead of him at the moment, but if Peter beats Maskaev everyone should have him at the 2 spot or at the very least 3.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:41 PM   #66
RUSKULL
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I think Iggy would pose a decent threat to a fighter like Peter, but were still not sure how good or bad Iggy's chin really is, which Im sure we will find out soon enough next month.

Based on recent accomplishments, I feel Peter has done more, a win over Toney and Mccline is greater than a wins over Holyfield and Briggs, seeing that Toney knocked out Holyfield and Mccline beat Briggs as well. Yes, Peter win over Toney the first time was close, but so was Iggys draw over a lesser oppenent in Austin a few years ago. If it wasnt for Maskeav backing out of his fights with Peter, he would have already been champ by now. On top of that many still dont consider the WBO one of the main belts, and it's certainly 4th best belt out there today.
I see your reasoning but I still don't agree. Sultan would counter Peter's windmill punches easier than he did with Holyfield.

And, The REAL WBO belt is still worth more than the WBC interim one.
RUSKULL is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #67
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
Yet he's still ranked in your 4 spot, most not be that bad if he's 4th best Heavyweight in the world. If you look at Iggy's most recent victories compared to Peters, Peter's wins are over better competition. I dont see how anyone could have Iggy ahead of Peter, only Chagaev and Wlad have the resume to be ahead of him at the moment, but if Peter beats Maskaev everyone should have him at the 2 spot or at the very least 3.
Yes he's fourth, but I can't even be certain he's not going to get his lazy ass knocked out by a past it ring rusty Maskaev. That's how highly I rate him. He should win that fight, but if he doesn't I'm moving him down to 6th

I have Ibragimov ahead based on him being a better boxer, rather than outstanding achievements, because let's face it none of them have done anything to shout from the rooftops about
Old 01-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #68
RUSKULL
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Peter's stock would certainly rise a bit with a KO win over Oleg but many will still say Maskaev was old & he'd been KO'd before so what does that prove. Those are the facts too, even though I would personally give him more respect.

Consider this, if Wlad KO's Iggy & Peter KO's Maskaev then Peter would be ahead of both Iggy & Oleg but still behind Wladimir & Ruslan IMO.
RUSKULL is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #69
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSKULL
I see your reasoning but I still don't agree. Sultan would counter Peter's windmill punches easier than he did with Holyfield.

And, The REAL WBO belt is still worth more than the WBC interim one.
To be honest with you RUSKULL, I feel Iggy poses a style nightmare that would give Peter the most trouble of the other title holders. Barring a knockout, Iggy would probably beat him to a decision if he comes in at his very best. Iggy is a very slick fighter who hardly gets hit flush, and seems to be ahead of Peter in the overall skills department, I do see Peter missing alot punches in this match and getting fatigued by the later rounds. I think Peter will press the issue early and if he dont get Iggy out of there by the 6 round, I feel the fight would be nearly over.

I dont base my rankings on a head to head matchup, because unless they already fought, you cant really say. I guess it's really a non issue because if Iggy gets beat by Wlad and Peter beats Maksaev, I think will have a better idea where everyone should ranked.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #70
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
Yes he's fourth, but I can't even be certain he's not going to get his lazy ass knocked out by a past it ring rusty Maskaev. That's how highly I rate him. He should win that fight, but if he doesn't I'm moving him down to 6th

I have Ibragimov ahead based on him being a better boxer, rather than outstanding achievements, because let's face it none of them have done anything to shout from the rooftops about
I see what your saying, I guess everyone has different criteria for how they rank there fighters, I just think accomplishment wise Peter edges him out.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:28 PM   #71
Sputnik44
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Let's be serious Sam Peter has not only been lackluster recently he's been down right disappointing

he had crushing heavyweight power when he fought bums and I don't see him taking his wild winging brawl technique too far...

Right now he belongs in the top ten only as a place holder unti l he gets knocked flat by someone with a slightly stronger punch that McCline
Sputnik44 is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2008, 11:31 PM   #72
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik44
Let's be serious Sam Peter has not only been lackluster recently he's been down right disappointing

he had crushing heavyweight power when he fought bums and I don't see him taking his wild winging brawl technique too far...

Right now he belongs in the top ten only as a place holder unti l he gets knocked flat by someone with a slightly stronger punch that McCline
His wild winging brawl technique wouldn't go far, but his ability to stick to an educated game plan behind a left jab and straigher shots will get him relatively far.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 11:02 AM   #73
Shpion
IDF
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

I understand your aliance towards Peter and I respect it but following your logic Povetkin should be ranked higher then. After all, Povetkin dominated both Byrd and Donald who beat Holy and beat Chambers who held a victory over Brock (who beat McCline).

The only fight Peter gained a lot of credit from me was his losing effort against a timid Klitschko. However, his fiasco with McCline totally overshadowed that effort. That being said, I hope he can redeem himself against Maskaev and KO him.
Shpion is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 11:19 AM   #74
Boxfan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You know, had Wlad really wanted to, he could have ko'd Peter, but he chose to box instead of slug. McCline came into the Peter fight scared and decided wtf, I better throw everything at this dude because if I wait around, he'll just club me on the back of my head and it's goodnight for me. So he blew his load early and it almost got him a ko victory. Both Wlad's and McCline's strategies were effective even though completely opposite. Being how Peter is unable to adjust to either an all out attack, or a boxing session, reveals his incompleteness as a fighter. Peter is a bully and a slugger. If Maskaev comes out with the same will he had against Rahmann, Peter is toast and will get KTFO!
Boxfan1 is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 11:23 AM   #75
Boxfan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Also, if Peter fought Holyfield today, I'd put my money on the real deal, because as soon as Peter starts his back of the head shit, Holly is gonna butt him like a rabid ram and unleash a blow for blow session on him. Peter would panic in the presence of such determination.
Boxfan1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum