Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122
Default How do you rank Jones, Hopkins, Toney & Calzaghe?

In what order do you rank them & why?
DrMo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Chappy112
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 4000
Default Re: How do you rank Jones, Hopkins, Toney & Calzaghe?

Probably change my mind tomorrow but today I'm feeling

Hopkins
Jones
Toney
Calzaghe
Chappy112 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Prince.
24/7 365
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Jones
Toney
Hopkins
Calzaghe
Prince. is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
moneypaysbills
That's Mr moneypaysbills
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

What weight class?

At SMW
Calzaghe
Jones
Toney
Bhop

At LHW
Hopkins
Jones
Toney
Calzaghe
moneypaysbills is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Jones
Hopkins
Toney
Calzaghe
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

1.Jones
2.Hopkins
3.Calzaghe
4.Toney

1. Jones is an obvious number 1, greatest H2H fighter and greatest resume out of all 4. Won titles at MW, SMW, LHW, HW. The only knocks against him is that he didn't clear out any division, and he got caught with anabolic steroids in his system.

2. Between Hopkins and Calzaghe it's close, their reigns at MW and SMW are of similar quality (though I give the edge to Calzaghe because of his win over Kessler), and Joe has the win when they faced off. However, I put Hopkins at number 2 because of his longevity, his win over Tarver was his best win, and it's a very good win, also because of his longevity, being the lineal LHW champ at 47 years old may never be replicated.

3. Calzaghe's reign at SMW gets alot of criticism, and he was unfortunate to miss out on fights with Collins, Ottke and Hopkins (in 2002) which would have cemented his legacy. However, he reigned as champ for over a decade, beat quite a few fighters who were champs at SMW, solid wins over Eubank, Mitchell, Brewer, Reid, Woodhall, Lacy, Kessler and Hopkins makes for a very good resume. The only knock against him is that he didn't get the bigger fights for one reason or another earlier on, and a lot of his title defences opens him up for criticism

4. Toney as the lowest, although he was a great fighter in his prime, he struggled with discipline and consistency. Losses to Tiberi, Thadzi and Griffin should be held against him as he was in his prime for those fights. The Jones loss not so much because I wouldn't back any SMW to beat Jones. Dwindled for quite a few years after the Jones loss, until he beat Jirov. Quality wins over Nunn, Johnson, Mccallum and Jirov, however his record leaves a lot to be desired, and I think he'd lose to Calzaghe at SMW and LHW, and possibly to Hopkins as well. Still, amazing talent and great fighter in his day

All are Hall of Famers
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
moneypaysbills
That's Mr moneypaysbills
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
1.Jones
2.Hopkins
3.Calzaghe
4.Toney

1. Jones is an obvious number 1, greatest H2H fighter and greatest resume out of all 4. Won titles at MW, SMW, LHW, HW. The only knocks against him is that he didn't clear out any division, and he got caught with anabolic steroids in his system.

2. Between Hopkins and Calzaghe it's close, their reigns at MW and SMW are of similar quality (though I give the edge to Calzaghe because of his win over Kessler), and Joe has the win when they faced off. However, I put Hopkins at number 2 because of his longevity, his win over Tarver was his best win, and it's a very good win, also because of his longevity, being the lineal LHW champ at 47 years old may never be replicated.

3. Calzaghe's reign at SMW gets alot of criticism, and he was unfortunate to miss out on fights with Collins, Ottke and Hopkins (in 2002) which would have cemented his legacy. However, he reigned as champ for over a decade, beat quite a few fighters who were champs at SMW, solid wins over Eubank, Mitchell, Brewer, Reid, Woodhall, Lacy, Kessler and Hopkins makes for a very good resume. The only knock against him is that he didn't get the bigger fights for one reason or another earlier on, and a lot of his title defences opens him up for criticism

4. Toney as the lowest, although he was a great fighter in his prime, he struggled with discipline and consistency. Losses to Tiberi, Thadzi and Griffin should be held against him as he was in his prime for those fights. The Jones loss not so much because I wouldn't back any SMW to beat Jones. Dwindled for quite a few years after the Jones loss, until he beat Jirov. Quality wins over Nunn, Johnson, Mccallum and Jirov, however his record leaves a lot to be desired, and I think he'd lose to Calzaghe at SMW and LHW, and possibly to Hopkins as well. Still, amazing talent and great fighter in his day

All are Hall of Famers
Top post when you assess them all across their careers

Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypaysbills View Post
Top post when you assess them all across their careers

Thanks pal

The only criticism I have of your post, is that I'd have Jones, Hopkins, Calzaghe, Toney at LHW in that order. Toney did nothing at LHW, and Calzaghe won the title there, so he has to be ranked above him
Old 10-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174

Quote:
1.Jones
2.Hopkins
3.Calzaghe
4.Toney

All are Hall of Famers
It is amazing how concise of a post you make when not surrounded by the team defeat members. I agree with most all of this, only I think a motivated Toney would give Joe a damn good run at 168. The only thing is, I can guarantee that Joe shows up ready to go 12 but can't trust Toney to do the same.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Quote:
Thanks pal

The only criticism I have of your post, is that I'd have Jones, Hopkins, Calzaghe, Toney at LHW in that order. Toney did nothing at LHW, and Calzaghe won the title there, so he has to be ranked above him
Toney and Calzaghe are pretty interchangable IMO
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Resume: Jones, Toney, Hopkins, Calzaghe

Head to Head: Jones, Hopkins, Toney, Calzaghe
JMP is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
moneypaysbills
That's Mr moneypaysbills
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks pal

Thank you for the much appreciated opinion. Always great to be evaluated by the best

Old 10-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

Starting with the jirov an the move through the heavy division puts toney second to jones from that list. thats a BIG risk for somebody who started at middle.

jones
toney
hopkins
calzaghe
brnxhands is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjoiner View Post
It is amazing how concise of a post you make when not surrounded by the team defeat members. I agree with most all of this, only I think a motivated Toney would give Joe a damn good run at 168. The only thing is, I can guarantee that Joe shows up ready to go 12 but can't trust Toney to do the same.

I think Toney v Calzaghe would have been a great fight! It would have turned into a war at times. I would Calzaghe to win a close points decision, but he was open to right hands and that was Toney's best punch

I've never heard of 'team defeat' though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Toney and Calzaghe are pretty interchangable IMO

Overall? I agree, between Hopkins, Joe and Toney it's close
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
HerolGee
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

jones should be number 1 BUT drugs taint his legacy so there should be a good case for not having him number 1 as well.

Same with Toney, who although a much better boxer than Calzaghe h2h, is tainted with drugs and his own erratic form too. Calzaghe is better than Toney in terms of bare rank. Toney only has himself to blame, ruined what could have been ATG status if he had kept his head and his body clean. And to be fair, even his HW title win is a bit shite, it was an unknown title, wasnt it? IBU or something like that - noone wanted it in the first place.

Jones
Hopkins
(Jones - if he abused PEDs for more than 1 fight)
Calzaghe
Toney
HerolGee is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum