Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
starapple

vCash: 500
Default Will boxing ever come out of this "weak era"?

Boxing is constantly referred to as a dying sport. Will it ever come back to life?
starapple is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Will boxing ever come out of this "weak era"?

A good post i came across a year + or so back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gained View Post
i keep hearing the old 'boxing is dead' nonsense from time to time and i have to chuckle to myself,Since when is boxing dying actually? Since the Klitschkos? Since Lennox? Since Tyson? Since Ali? since the 'world series' ended?

Well, let’s check, boxing has apparently been dying since its inception a looong time now!

“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976

“Legitimate professional wrestling has died. Boxing is dying. Swimming, tennis, golf, modern dance, and gymnastics are growing.”
James A Baley, 1974

Question: “Is boxing dying?”
Archie Moore (multiple title champion and ATG):
“Yes, it must be. They told me it was dying when I got into it as a professional in 1936. I think it started dying at about the dawn of history. So I guess it is still dying.“
Archie Moore, 1972

“And when the black man starts to excel in a particular sport the question starts floating around: “Is boxing dying?”
Eldridge Cleaver, 1969

“With the gradual dying of boxing as a national sport, judo seems the perfect replacement“
Black Belt Magazine, 1964

“The experts have been saying for years that boxing is dying because kids no longer are hungry, because boxing no longer is the way for a poor kid to get rich quick.”
LA Times, 1963

“Boxing is not dying”, said Jack Dempsey sadly, “it’s dead“. Even as the old champ spoke last week the corpse of a one lively sport was just barely twitching… Jack Dempsey was not the only old champ to grieve. Mickey Walker and Gene Tunney were equally mournful… “It’s gone, boxing. Today you show any style and they put you on TV. They’ll take anyone.” Neither Tunney nor Walker knew quite what to do with the corpse.”
Life Magazine, 1961

“Radio is not “causing the demise of big-time boxing“, John Ford, WTCN-Blue newscaster, told his audience in rebuttal to an attack on radio and boxing, published by Dick Cullum, sports editor of the Minneapolis Daily Times, 10 days ago.
Cullum had charged that because sponsors want their full time on the air in which to get in their commercials, fight broadcasts go without knockouts these days and become uninteresting dancing exhibitions.”
The Billboard, 1944

“The game of boxing is dying today because the boys do not know how to box. There is no one to teach them how and they won’t work anyway”.
LA Times, 1940

“Professional boxing is dying a natural death“
LA Times, 1913

“As it is, the school of boxing is rapidly dying out, and when the professors of the present day have passed away it will be hard to say where the new ones are to come from.”
Professor Ned Donelly, The art of boxing, 1879

Obviously boxing fans are the worst fans of the world.
And boxing experts are the worst experts of the world.
One post on a boxing forum sums up the whole situation:

“They’ve been saying that “today’s heavyweights” suck since the beginning of the 20th century.

In the 1990s they b*tched that you had a 45 year old heavyweight champion and a near champion in Larry Holmes (who nearly beat McCall).

In the 1980s they b*tched that Holmes didn’t have anyone to fight and the post-Holmes pre-Tyson era was one of the worst in history- according to the writers of that era.

People call the 1970s the “Golden Era” today, well -they didn’t call it that then. They b*tched that an old, shot, Ali was champion and the Joe Louis would have wiped the floor up with the bums fighting in that era. People complained about Ali and Frazier making so much money (2.5 million) for their first fight.

The 1960s- hell, a 40 year old sonny Liston was arguably the best fighter in the world after Ali was suspended- no one, including Frazier’s management wanted to fight him. Floyd Patterson was also a top contender late in that decade.

The 1950s? Gene Tunney once stated in a Look Magazine article that Jack Dempsey would KO Marciano, Charles, Walcott, and Rex Lane on the SAME night.

The 1940s? Read the the old Ring Magazine articles about how bad the heavies were back then. Jack Johnson said that not only were the contenders lousy but Joe Louis wasn’t any good neither. He said that not only would he beat Louis but Jeffries, Corbet, Fitzsimmons, Tom Sharkey, Joe Choynski, and a bunch of other contenders of his era would easily beat Louis.

The 1930s ? Do I need to go on? So find me a time in history when the public thought that the heavyweights of that era were any good”

could it just be that boxing is thriving on a global scale now? and the americans are having to fight diverse competition for a change.
megavolt is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Go-Time

when the economy gets better
Go-Time is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
HerolGee
Belt holder
ESB Addict

everything in life fluctuates. smaller, bigger smaller, bigger.

endless cycle.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 5200

"Lucy you have some splainin' ta do"
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
SHADOW BOX
SHADOW BOX
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

They have to stop making shit fights and sell them to the public (especially casual fans who are their targets and are easily fooled). This careful management is killing the sport along with these confusing sanctioning bodies, robberies, corrupt judges, incompetent refs, greedy/liar promoters, etc. If the best always fight the best, in a fair weight, boxing can go back to what it once used to be.
SHADOW BOX is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
bremen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

... and more:

1998: " Everything you- needed to know about the current sad state of boxing in general and the heavyweight division in particular was revealed in a span of three days in the last week"

1994: "And so the heavyweight boxing division is in a time warp, not to mention a shambles, not to mention a state of incredulity. George Foreman, old, fat and immobile, won two-thirds of the available titles Saturday night."

1988: "Tyson looks unbeatable, especially given the sorry state of the heavyweight division."

1984: "Usually, the heavyweight division carries boxing, but it's a disaster."

1982: "Tonight's match (Holmes-Cobb), of course, reflects the sorry state of heavyweight boxing, once the most important division in the game."
bremen is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Porgeous Porge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremen View Post
... and more:

1998: " Everything you- needed to know about the current sad state of boxing in general and the heavyweight division in particular was revealed in a span of three days in the last week"

1994: "And so the heavyweight boxing division is in a time warp, not to mention a shambles, not to mention a state of incredulity. George Foreman, old, fat and immobile, won two-thirds of the available titles Saturday night."

1988: "Tyson looks unbeatable, especially given the sorry state of the heavyweight division."

1984: "Usually, the heavyweight division carries boxing, but it's a disaster."

1982: "Tonight's match (Holmes-Cobb), of course, reflects the sorry state of heavyweight boxing, once the most important division in the game."
its hysterical to see ppl talk about how bad the era is like there has never been a bad heavyweight era before

it would appear pundits always have the rose tinted glasses looking to the past even during a great time for the fight game

i know boxing is flawed and certainly isnt mainstream but i watch the fights and i enjoy them
Porgeous Porge is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
Robney
ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ
East Side VIP

vCash: 3075

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerolGee View Post
So there's hope for me yet!

Robney is online now  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
stanislove12
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerolGee View Post

endless cycle.

hey keep it clean this is a boxing forum... not the playboy mansion.
stanislove12 is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
mike_bngs
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

When everyone refuses to pay for over priced ppv fights, fighters will have to fight more often too make big money.
mike_bngs is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

The top talent is as good as ever. You'd have to be crazy to think that guys like Mayweather and Pacquiao aren't ATGs, or that they'd be champs or major contenders in virtually any era. And there's a fair amount of talent of the next level down, some it possessed by young guys like Ward who are going to be around for years and will probably continue to prove themselves in that time.

So in terms of that, I don't think you can call it a weak era.

However, where I see the weakness is that there isn't the depth of talent below the top guys. Each division has anywhere between around 1-4 big dogs, and then after that it seems like there's not a lot to talk about. And even in the top dogs, certain old time skills and talents are dying out in favor of just trying to get bigger, stronger, and beat up on smaller guys.

I don't think things are going to change until there's a major cleanup of the sport done. The judging needs to be fixed, the rules need to be fixed, the entire title system needs to be fixed, (I mean, can you think of another sport where one man or family is in a position to hand out or make up new titles whenever they want the way the Suleiman family is with the WBC? When was the last time that the commissioners of baseball, football or hockey decided to name the team their godson was on champions before a championship match even happened?) the ranking system needs to be fixed, and there needs to be one belt per weight class.

I think boxing would be a much more mainstream sport in the US and in a number of other countries if there was a sense that the system was honest and makes sense. Right now, it doesn't, and there's not even a pretense about it.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

I see nobody promising enough on the horizon that suggests to me that the sport will come out of this shit era loaded with mediocrity anytime soon.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174

Boxing has changed. The balance of power has been spread throughout the globe rather than concentrated in North America. That doesn't mean it is dead, but the term "World Champion" is a lot more correct now than it ever was in the past.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #15
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
Each division has anywhere between around 1-4 big dogs, and then after that it seems like there's not a lot to talk about.
Boxing has been like that in every era. 1-4 competitive elite fighters per division and a dozen or two contenders which are a step (or two) below.
madballster is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum