Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
RJJFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 448
Default Donaire's Scientific Training

In the Ring:

"Donaire has been working with Korchemny and supplement guru Victor Conte since his December 2010 fight with Volodymyr Sydorenko. How many miles does Donaire run per week? 25, maybe 20? Try zero. He’s seen great results, abandoning running for sprints, which develops fast-twitch muscle rather than slow-twitch muscle fiber. Coupled with a specialized nutrition program with Conte, Donaire has seen performance gains in the gym and in the ring."

"Conte introduced Donaire to hypoxic training, where Donaire is hooked up to an oxygen mask that gives him a deficit of oxygen, simulating the effects a boxer would get from running in high elevation. It results in an increase of red blood cells in the athlete, giving Donaire increased stamina.

“I can go 20 rounds. One thing that I gained with the hypoxic training is it makes you do circles and go 12 rounds in Mount Everest,” said Donaire. “It increases your red blood cells, you’re able to take more oxygen in your system no matter how tired you are. The guys that I’m sparring , they’re no walk in the park, they’re good prospects. They go all out in sparring and then I have another guy fresh coming in and I feel good and I can tire them out no matter what."

Donaire can be tested at any time by VADA and Conte said Donaire jumped at the opportunity to show he’s a clean athlete.

“There’s been a lot of guys that have tried to come into the VADA program and have had sponsorships offered to (do so) and they always gotta talk to this guy or that guy. Nonito is his own man,” said Conte, who sponsors the athletes he works with, rather than being paid. “He makes his own decision. It wasn’t about calling and asking Bob Arum if he can do that VADA testing. He’s a true leader and he’s leading by example with VADA and he deserves a lot of credit for it.”

Conte has Donaire wearing a memory belt during training. It measures caloric expenditure, breath frequency, V02 max, ventilation, heart rate, etc. They collect the data both during Donaire’s track work and then when he’s in the gym sparring and training. The information is loaded to a television in the SNAC conference room where they examine the data at the beginning of camp, in the middle of camp and at the conclusion. He also collects the date with Donaire both on supplements and off supplements. After comparing, they have an index of Donaire’s physical fitness, so Conte can fine tune his nutrition program and training schedule and Donaire can make bigger gains in the gym. It’s this kind of next level training that has helped propel Donaire to greater heights in the sport.

“Most boxers train twice-a-day, six days a week – way over trained. The greater the intensity of the training, the greater requirement for the recovery interval,” explained Conte. “The first change that I made in Nonito’s training was to tell him ‘you’re going to train Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday you’re out of there.’

“The training load is way greater when he’s on the supplements. The greater the training load, the greater the recovery interval. He trained less, but more intense, but rest more.”

Aiding Donaire with his training is of course a strict supplement program specially designed by Conte. Donaire takes mostly SNAC products, over 20 in total. He uses ZMA to aide in recovery, Vitalyze to give him increased stamina and then also takes a number of other supplements: PhysioBalm, Proquick Tubs, Super Citrimax plus ChromeMate, Aerobitine and HypOxygen, among others. These products, coupled with the training program, have helped to give Donaire the explosiveness he seeks in the ring come fight night.
RJJFan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
KnuckleUp99
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Donaire's Scientific Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJFan View Post
In the Ring:

"Donaire has been working with Korchemny and supplement guru Victor Conte since his December 2010 fight with Volodymyr Sydorenko. How many miles does Donaire run per week? 25, maybe 20? Try zero. He’s seen great results, abandoning running for sprints, which develops fast-twitch muscle rather than slow-twitch muscle fiber. Coupled with a specialized nutrition program with Conte, Donaire has seen performance gains in the gym and in the ring."

"Conte introduced Donaire to hypoxic training, where Donaire is hooked up to an oxygen mask that gives him a deficit of oxygen, simulating the effects a boxer would get from running in high elevation. It results in an increase of red blood cells in the athlete, giving Donaire increased stamina.

“I can go 20 rounds. One thing that I gained with the hypoxic training is it makes you do circles and go 12 rounds in Mount Everest,” said Donaire. “It increases your red blood cells, you’re able to take more oxygen in your system no matter how tired you are. The guys that I’m sparring , they’re no walk in the park, they’re good prospects. They go all out in sparring and then I have another guy fresh coming in and I feel good and I can tire them out no matter what."

Donaire can be tested at any time by VADA and Conte said Donaire jumped at the opportunity to show he’s a clean athlete.

“There’s been a lot of guys that have tried to come into the VADA program and have had sponsorships offered to (do so) and they always gotta talk to this guy or that guy. Nonito is his own man,” said Conte, who sponsors the athletes he works with, rather than being paid. “He makes his own decision. It wasn’t about calling and asking Bob Arum if he can do that VADA testing. He’s a true leader and he’s leading by example with VADA and he deserves a lot of credit for it.”

Conte has Donaire wearing a memory belt during training. It measures caloric expenditure, breath frequency, V02 max, ventilation, heart rate, etc. They collect the data both during Donaire’s track work and then when he’s in the gym sparring and training. The information is loaded to a television in the SNAC conference room where they examine the data at the beginning of camp, in the middle of camp and at the conclusion. He also collects the date with Donaire both on supplements and off supplements. After comparing, they have an index of Donaire’s physical fitness, so Conte can fine tune his nutrition program and training schedule and Donaire can make bigger gains in the gym. It’s this kind of next level training that has helped propel Donaire to greater heights in the sport.

“Most boxers train twice-a-day, six days a week – way over trained. The greater the intensity of the training, the greater requirement for the recovery interval,” explained Conte. “The first change that I made in Nonito’s training was to tell him ‘you’re going to train Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday you’re out of there.’

“The training load is way greater when he’s on the supplements. The greater the training load, the greater the recovery interval. He trained less, but more intense, but rest more.”

Aiding Donaire with his training is of course a strict supplement program specially designed by Conte. Donaire takes mostly SNAC products, over 20 in total. He uses ZMA to aide in recovery, Vitalyze to give him increased stamina and then also takes a number of other supplements: PhysioBalm, Proquick Tubs, Super Citrimax plus ChromeMate, Aerobitine and HypOxygen, among others. These products, coupled with the training program, have helped to give Donaire the explosiveness he seeks in the ring come fight night.
I'm just impressed how Nonito went ahead with REAL Olympic style testing. I think Floyd should have taken this approach after calling his test "Olympic"....but Nonito probably wouldn't have stepped up like he did if Floyd never accused Pac of being a cheat..
KnuckleUp99 is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Golden Boy 360
Boxing's Biggest Cash Cow
East Side Guru

vCash: 850

sprinting and a mask to deprive air? nothing really new
Golden Boy 360 is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Run It
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

tl dr
Run It is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 212

yeah I read his interview where he said he's doing a lot of sprints and sparring for this fight so he can keep using his speed and not tire
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEDfJMOItSY[/ame]
Old 10-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
RJJFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 448

Its interesting to see he trains only 4 days a week. And no running at all, only sprints. Its hard to tell where talent begins and science takes over.
RJJFan is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJFan View Post
Its interesting to see he trains only 4 days a week. And no running at all, only sprints. Its hard to tell where talent begins and science takes over.
For what reason would a boxer have for running? That's one of the old silly boxing traditions.
You perform repeat sprints and the more you do the more you train your aerobic system as well, you train your aerobic system to a far greater extent than a long run. Exercise scientists have known for a long time that intensity is the key factor to fitness improvements. Boxing is so far behind common sense because of all the hero worshipping of the old timers. In no other sport do you hear "Oh it worked for them so it must be the best way" so often. Other sports rightfully ask the question "What can we do to improve our training?". Hence progress is made.
Sugar Ray Leonard employed a sprint coach and Evander Holyfield religiously weight trained but they're the exception to the norm.
Most brain damaged, decrepit old boxing trainers think that to be a well conditioned boxer you should jog every morning at 5am and avoid weights as if they're the plague. Oh yeah, and that every aspect of talent is if you were born with it or not. It's absolutely ridiculous. Very few boxing coaches are actually teachers, they tend to be just motivators.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
Teo

Peds
Teo is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #10
nuketurnal
N-Bomb
ESB Senior Member

high intensity is the key
nuketurnal is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #11
gyll
Undetectable
ESB Addict

He was winning before Conte came into the picture. Has he improved since? I don't know...I think he was more explosive at a lower weight. I think he's just so extremely talented that he doesn't need all these traditional methods to have great performances.
gyll is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #12
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

The problem with oxygen deficiency is that the body adapts very quickly. People train in Big Bear for 2 months and 2 weeks before the fight, they go to Vegas and by fight night, the benefits of the altitude training have worn off. The body adapts quicker than most people think. Some guys use oxygen masks and then stop when they stop sparring, which is again lessening the affect of the mask in the first place. There was a story a few years ago of a guy who lived in the Himalayas all his life. He went to visit America for 2 weeks and when he returned to his home in the Himalayas, he died from altitude sickness. 2 weeks was all his body needed to adjust from a lifetime of living at high altitude, so it's remarkable that fighters think they can train in the mountains or in oxygen, stop a while before the fight and then expect improvement on fight night. They're trying to outsmart millions of years of evolution.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 12:18 AM   #13
ryan_c
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I think it's proven that high intensity sprint in few minutes than jogging for an hour is better at improving stamina..
ryan_c is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #14
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
The problem with oxygen deficiency is that the body adapts very quickly. People train in Big Bear for 2 months and 2 weeks before the fight, they go to Vegas and by fight night, the benefits of the altitude training have worn off. The body adapts quicker than most people think. Some guys use oxygen masks and then stop when they stop sparring, which is again lessening the affect of the mask in the first place. There was a story a few years ago of a guy who lived in the Himalayas all his life. He went to visit America for 2 weeks and when he returned to his home in the Himalayas, he died from altitude sickness. 2 weeks was all his body needed to adjust from a lifetime of living at high altitude, so it's remarkable that fighters think they can train in the mountains or in oxygen, stop a while before the fight and then expect improvement on fight night. They're trying to outsmart millions of years of evolution.
I never of that ****.

Too bad.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #15
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_c View Post
I think it's proven that high intensity sprint in few minutes than jogging for an hour is better at improving stamina..
I don't know about a few minutes. You should actually try to test it yourself.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum