boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Skittlez
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Oleg Maskaev in his prime was barely able to survive the 90's but top 3 at age 38

So Oleg Maskaev in his prime barely stayed afloat in the 90's.
He was a victim of both Tua and Mccall and ended up being dominated in sparring by a variety of top tier 90's Heavyweights.

During his late 30's around mid-late 2000's he actually became a top 3 fighter.

As various rankings indicated.........

I guess Oleg's dreams of being a top heavyweight finally came true. Pity he was born too soon.
Skittlez is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Skittlez
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Oleg Maskaev in his prime was barely able to survive the 90's but top 3 at age 38

Just imagine if Oleg Maskaev was 10 years younger.

****, he'll be top 3 TODAY and certain fan bases will be comparing him to Larry Holmes and saying how he will

'dominate any era'
'deal with it'
Skittlez is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
vargasfan1985
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5133
Default Re: Oleg Maskaev in his prime was barely able to survive the 90's but top 3 at age 38

vargasfan1985 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
gobblock
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Oleg's chin was **** and he never had the speed/footwork to keep it safe. I'm a fan, but let's be honest... He was lucky to get as far as he did, regardless of era.
gobblock is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez View Post

****, he'll be top 3 TODAY and certain fan bases will be comparing him to Larry Holmes and saying how he will

'dominate any era'
'deal with it'

He had a moment in the late 90s when he was considered top 10. He went away with his glass jaw in hand, and returned after stringing together a few top 100 wins.
He won a vacant title from an opponent not a top 5 guy, an opponent who's # Oleg just happened to have, and he defended it once vs a non top 100, and then was quickly relieved of his duties by a top 5 HW.

What the **** are you on about here skittles. Had Oleg met Rahman 4 months after Rahman sparked Lenny, would you be calling Oleg a top HW of the 90s?
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
qwert
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 880

I've always had a soft spot for Oleg. His management really hung him out to dry, fighting McCall in his 7th fight and Tua in his 12th. He had a strange career.
qwert is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
zxcvbnm
#TeamHWFuture
ESB Addict

vCash: 544

Quote:

'dominate any era'
'deal with it'

I wonder which fan bases those could be...
zxcvbnm is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbnm View Post

I wonder which fan bases those could be...
Some of look at the Holmes Spinks fights and think Malik Scott and David Haye, maybe even Eddie Chambers could hang with Larry.
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
MattMattMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
He was a victim of both Tua and Mccall and ended up being dominated in sparring by a variety of top tier 90's Heavyweights.

I guess Oleg's dreams of being a top heavyweight finally came true. Pity he was born too soon.
He fought McCall in his 7th fight, he should have been no-where near him at that stage. Then as if his management weren't content with utterly ****ing up his career, he fights Tua a year later after disposing of 4 no-name journeymen. Utterly bizarre management.

His only good win was against Rahman a few years later. I have to assume that was the only reason for his ranking, because it certainly wasn't his overall ability or resume.

In fact, Maskaev was lucky to fight when he did. He wouldn't win a belt off anyone today.
MattMattMatt is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
dm29
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:

he also became a top fighter in the 90 lol, and he became top in the 90 by beating top 50 fighters and Rahman and he also became top fighter in 2000nds by beating top 50 fighters and Rahman.
by the way, gayest avatar even, are you playing for the pink team? lol
dm29 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
dm29
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMattMatt View Post
He fought McCall in his 7th fight, he should have been no-where near him at that stage. Then as if his management weren't content with utterly ****ing up his career, he fights Tua a year later after disposing of 4 no-name journeymen. Utterly bizarre management.

His only good win was against Rahman a few years later. I have to assume that was the only reason for his ranking, because it certainly wasn't his overall ability or resume.

In fact, Maskaev was lucky to fight when he did. He wouldn't win a belt off anyone today.
true, everybody in top 10 now would brutally KO him in a couple of rounds

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClR7gnUVI94[/ame]
dm29 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
Ncc84
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 160

This thread's meaningless, as he didn't beat any of the top hws from the 2000s.

You need to give that rank some context.

The wbc belt was vacated by the retirement of vitali, the wbc gave the opportunity to fight for the vacant belt to two americans, who were not amongst the best hws at the time.
Oleg then beats the inferior title holder, which gives him a high rank. He maintains the high rank by fighting a poor opponent then loses it when he comes up against his first decent challenger.

This thread has failed.
Ncc84 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
Skittlez
Contender
ESB Senior Member

A bunch of Mad Klit****s in here.

I didn't read any of your klit**** paragraphs tbh.

Convince me this era is better than the 90's era
Skittlez is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Ncc84
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 160

The 90s top 5 was just reserved for the likes of Bruce Seldon, Herbie Hide, Michael Bennt
40 year old tim witherspoon, 48 year old George Foreman, and Carl williams.
Ncc84 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
dm29
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
A bunch of Mad Klit****s in here.

I didn't read any of your klit**** paragraphs tbh.

Convince me this era is better than the 90's era
first convince me you're not gay lol
dm29 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum