Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #166
RSBonos
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: UFC 153: Silva vs. Bonnar

Just as impressive as Fedor v Zuluzinho.

Anderson is truly the GOAT!
RSBonos is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #167
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
Ok that explains it, still a lot of injuries though!

It's a double-edged sword.

It's good that the fighters have decent medical coverage, so they don't need to enter the cage with a broken rib so they can get paid and afford the hospital bills for their training injury.

But it also means that if a guy gets injured, he has the ability to pull out of the card and delay his fight. Which happens frustratingly often.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #168
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
I had given SB a 25% Chance to win. When the fight started and his punches where as slow as my old Grandma walking up a very steep hill...I was like...well there went that 25%...down to zero. A great Champ in A.S. did what he shouldv'e done. Blowen out Bonnar
25% was being extremely generous. I honestly thought about 10%.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #169
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
25% was being extremely generous. I honestly thought about 10%.
Yeah I was the same. Bonnar never had a 25% chance.

Too bad the story of the fight will be "Bonnar is terrible." Obviously he's a million miles below Silva in terms of skill level, but NOBODY wipes Bonnar out like that and makes him look like such a chump. I mean, the guy soaks up whatever beating anyone can hand out, up to and including Jon Jones landing every shot he threw for two full rounds. Everybody who fights Bonnar gets dragged into the trenches and forced to fight.

But Silva comes up from middleweight, clowns him for a couple of minutes and lays him out in the first round with one shot, with contemptuous ease. IMO that says a lot more about Silva than it does about Bonnar. But somehow I think there's going to be more disrespect of Bonnar than there should be, and less appreciating Anderson than there should be.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #170
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post

Too bad the story of the fight will be "Bonnar is terrible." Obviously he's a million miles below Silva in terms of skill level, but NOBODY wipes Bonnar out like that and makes him look like such a chump. I mean, the guy soaks up whatever beating anyone can hand out, up to and including Jon Jones landing every shot he threw for two full rounds. Everybody who fights Bonnar gets dragged into the trenches and forced to fight.

But Silva comes up from middleweight, clowns him for a couple of minutes and lays him out in the first round with one shot, with contemptuous ease. IMO that says a lot more about Silva than it does about Bonnar. But somehow I think there's going to be more disrespect of Bonnar than there should be, and less appreciating Anderson than there should be.

Good post
Old 10-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #171
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:

I think I agree with this more than anything else I have seen you type.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #172
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Shad face has a challenger

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #173
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Old 10-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #174
Atlanta
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 528

When Silva drops his hands, its never a good sign for the opponent.
Atlanta is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 02:20 AM   #175
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Old 10-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #176
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Tremendous View Post
It's not his fault he is in the weakest division in the sport, but at the same time you can't blame me for debating his greatness. He ducked no one at MW but really, that's not saying much. He does make every fight look easy, but so do several other fighters like GSP and JDS for example.

How can I not diminish the Hendo win a tad? He was coming off a loss and fighting in a weight class he hasn't been fighting in for 2 years. That's suppose to be a career defining win? I'm sorry but you want to go by talent, not merit. You're calling him the GOAT because of his talent and that's fine we're all entitled to our own opinion but I hope you can understand where I'm coming from.
I have no problem with you debating his greatness, it would be a shitter forum if we all just agreed with each other. I disagree with the GSP and JDS examples as JDS has just turned champ and still has several opponents to beat before he is the undisputed champ with Cormier and Reem out there. GSP dominates fights but he doesn't get rid of guys, that harms his legacy. Silva ends fights and ends them dramatically IMO that makes him the greater fighter.

When you rate someone on their legacy the way in which they win not just who they beat comes into account. ITs not just a matter of who has the better record its the nature of the wins. When has GSP moved up a weight class and sparked an ex-champ? Not to mention the Serra loss.

Anyway win over Hendo is worth a hell of a lot, if you nit pick you can take apart anyones record, you have to judge him on his career as a whole. I agree it lacks a career defining win, a focal point of his brilliance. Its like a piece of classical music you don't just listen to aspects you have to hear it all at once to appreciate it.
Quote:

Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #177
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:

good post
Old 10-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #178
HeGlassedMe
ufc is the new pet rock
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 109

Quote:
Got home just in time for the main event. That was cute.

To this day I still think Anderson has yet to prove himself against top opposition and will continue to think so. Ali had Liston, Ali had Foreman, and Anderson had Chael Sonnen and Stephan Bonnar.

Seriously, when is this man going to have a career defining fight? Even Fedor had Nogueira and Crocop in their primes. He's not being declared the GOAT, he's being marketed to be the GOAT. There's a huge difference.
HeGlassedMe is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #179
Atlanta
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 528

Quote:
Got home just in time for the main event. That was cute.

To this day I still think Anderson has yet to prove himself against top opposition and will continue to think so. Ali had Liston, Ali had Foreman, and Anderson had Chael Sonnen and Stephan Bonnar.

Seriously, when is this man going to have a career defining fight? Even Fedor had Nogueira and Crocop in their primes. He's not being declared the GOAT, he's being marketed to be the GOAT. There's a huge difference.

oh please, just because he doesn't lose is now grounds that he fought nobody. Dan Henderson, you are a nobody. So are you Rich Franklin. Forrest Griffin, nobody. Yushin Okami, nobody. Vitor Belfort, nobody.
Atlanta is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #180
CrimsonBeast
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
That dude is a warrior. Put on a ****ing show
CrimsonBeast is offline  Top