lufcrazy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Donaire v Gomez at SBW?

Gomez would cause Nonito problems with his movement and would make it hard for him to get off. Bazooka would dissect Donaire I'd imagine, although Nonito is smart so he'll just shut himself down and not get taken out. Gomez via decision.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Gomez would cause Nonito problems with his movement and would make it hard for him to get off. Bazooka would dissect Donaire I'd imagine, although Nonito is smart so he'll just shut himself down and not get taken out. Gomez via decision.
I think Donaire is a really special talent and I think at this class there's no one he can't beat to the punch.

I think he wins a competitive decision 8-4 type.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

How much of Gomez have you watched? And who has Donaire faced that in any way resembles Gomez? Nonito is very patient and doesn't go in for the kill, he takes his opponent apart. How is he going to do that against Gomez?

Nonito is a special talent? What, and Gomez wasn't?

This is the morning after a quality performance talk.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
recycling
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
How much of Gomez have you watched? And who has Donaire faced that in any way resembles Gomez? Nonito is very patient and doesn't go in for the kill, he takes his opponent apart. How is he going to do that against Gomez?

Donaire knocks him out in an exchange
recycling is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:

anything that's on youtube. he's my choice for SBW goat. (Zarate is my favourite fight of his)

who has gomez faced that resembles nonito?

how will he take gomez apart? very difficult to say. I think he'll beat him to the punch more often than not, make him respect him with his power and take a close but clear decision.

Of course Gomez was, I just don't think he was as good as the Flash.

No, if you look back to that thread months ago about h2h goat in each division, I picked Nonito then. I just really struggle to see him losing.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Gomez has faced stylists of all different varieties, and didn't struggle to take out the likes of Wilfredo Vasquez Jr and Omar Narvaez.

Donaire is the best H2H super bantam based on beating Nishioka? Who isn't even that good himself (very good, but not great, in his late 30s) I don't think it's a farcical claim to give Donaire, a lightweight, a very good chance against anyone around these weights don't get me wrong, just think him being favoured outright against Gomez is a bit ludicrous given the reasons you've given. He'll just beat Gomez to the punch. And Gomez will.....not try anything different?

I'm not saying Gomez could not be hit and hurt at 122, but not by punch picking with him.

Donaire would be following Gomez like Zarate did. Bazooka can fight it out if he needs to, or he can box and counter. Donaire is brilliant at this as well. I really rate Nonito, but not against Wilfredo Gomez at super bantam.

If Nonito beats Salido at 126 would he then be good enough to beat Sal' Sanchez?

Anyway, I see your Wilfredo Gomez and raise you Jeff Fenech.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Frankly, I don't see Donaire as being all that smart or all that patient either. He goes batshit when he doesn't get openings and resorts to bizarre baiting tactics that rarely even work against fighters forced into timidity. Even when a fight seems to be boring and he seems to get criticised for coasting, I can see him champing at the bit- not trying to coast at all, just incapable of making the nature of the fight change. He's extremely uncomfortable being forced to hang back. And he simply does not do well to take the lead against class fighters, even though his instincts for reaction are athletically terrific, and he clearly has the physicality to be a hard, hard man at these weights to take down without getting stopped.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Frankly, I don't see Donaire as being all that smart or all that patient either. He goes batshit when he doesn't get openings and resorts to bizarre baiting tactics that rarely even work against fighters forced into timidity. Even when a fight seems to be boring and he seems to get criticised for coasting, I can see him champing at the bit- not trying to coast at all, just incapable of making the nature of the fight change. He's extremely uncomfortable being forced to hang back. And he simply does not do well to take the lead against class fighters, even though his instincts for reaction are athletically terrific, and he clearly has the physicality to be a hard, hard man at these weights to take down without getting stopped.
This is true. His inability to create the openings against the aforementioned guys that didn't play ball was worrying. Also, Concepcion may have been much heavier (was he on the night as well? I know Montiel was and it didn't help him) but that type of rough housing caused Donaire problems as well. By smart I meant 'won't get himself knocked out'.

Hey, Yum dropped Gomez with t-rex arms and caused him problems before Gomez stopped taking the piss and put it together.

And then you see how Gomez dissected Davila.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Nishioka did a Grigorian last night.

Not nearly as shot(still a decent fighter though past his best)as the mighty king artur was against Freitas but make no mistake that was a half-arsed cash-in performance by an old fighter.

Gomez would likely just do to Donaire what he did what he did to Zarate, even if it takes him a lot longer.use his superior movement, reflexes and technical skill to dictate exchanges and be patient about opening up, before taking the knockdowns as they come..or don't.I could see him getting rocked or dropped himself though, but highly unlikely to be finished off.
lora is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Nonito looks to be a shit actor as well. What was all that about?!
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post

Not nearly as shot(still a decent fighter though past his best)as the mighty king artur was against Freitas but make no mistake that was a half-arsed cash-in performance by an old fighter.

Gomez would likely just do to Donaire what he did what he did to Zarate, even if it takes him a lot longer.use his superior movement, reflexes and technical skill to dictate exchanges and be patient about opening up, before taking the knockdowns as they come..or don't.I could see him getting rocked or dropped himself though, but highly unlikely to be finished off.
This.

Nice comparison between Grigorian and Nishioka by the way.

How d'ya' see Nonito Vs Zaragoza?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
This is true. His inability to create the openings against the aforementioned guys that didn't play ball was worrying. Also, Concepcion may have been much heavier (was he on the night as well? I know Montiel was and it didn't help him) but that type of rough housing caused Donaire problems as well. By smart I meant 'won't get himself knocked out'.

Hey, Yum dropped Gomez with t-rex arms and caused him problems before Gomez stopped taking the piss and put it together.

And then you see how Gomez dissected Davila.
Aye, I've got you, now, mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post

I was disappointed, honestly. Because I thought Nishioka's fire was coming to life a little bit when he was finally opening up and got that thudding counter that dropped him the second time and I thought, well, at least he'll go out on his shield. At least he wants to do that, if that's what it comes to, and will not lay down for the favourite. Then his corner, I feel, said "**** it" too quickly. At first, I cursed at the TV, thinking the ref had called it fast for the second time before I realised it was the corner. I thought, very strongly, that Alvarado should've been given a standing eight earlier, and I was still stewing about the previous ref, that night.

Quote:
Nonito looks to be a shit actor as well. What was all that about?!
That was so much more entertaining to me than his actual fight, Flea.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

I wondered how long it would take for a thread like this to crop up. On the plus side, if asero still posted here, Donaire would have knocked Gomez for six inside the first ten seconds. I swear I'd have liked Donaire a bit more from the word go if wasn't for him.....

Anyway, it's this type of knee-jerk reaction - understandable though it is - that bypasses the rational, humane side of my brain and plugs straight into the nasty, cynical side; consequently, I almost want to see fighters like Donaire go flying off the rails in glorious, Mijares-like fashion. And that's just cuntish if I'm being honest with myself.

How about we see Donaire's career closer to it's conclusion before picking him over a demon like Gomez? Or see him against a genuinely great fighter who has the style and tools to really stretch him? Or even someone who isn't about 13 stone naturally lighter like Montiel, Darchinyan etc? The man makes for some seriously impressive viewing at times, no doubt about that, but come on. Nishioka is/was a decent fighter by today's standards, but I never imagined he had the tools to pull this one off. Too open and lacking in key areas. Still, quite an impressive win for Donaire I suppose, but like has been said, a piss poor cashing in effort from an old man.

Better to see Donaire fighting more regularly though, and against some of the better names that the relatively shallow talent pool has to offer. He spent too long doing **** all post-Darchinyan right up until he fought Montiel. If he were able to clean out super bantam and then move up and take some more scalps closer to his own size, I could see him maybe ending up with air that's sort of part Lopez/Galaxy and part Pacquiao, ie. numbers and dominance over an average crop bar the odd exception, spread out over multiple weights with the benefit of the 24 hour weigh in.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #15
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
I wondered how long it would take for a thread like this to crop up. On the plus side, Flea, if asero still posted here, Donaire would have knocked Gomez for six inside the first ten seconds. I swear I'd have liked Donaire a bit more from the word go if wasn't for him.....

Anyway, it's this type of knee-jerk reaction - understandable though it is - that bypasses the rational, humane side of my brain and plugs straight into the nasty, cynical side; consequently, I almost want to see fighters like Donaire go flying off the rails in glorious, Mijares-like fashion. And that's just cuntish if I'm being honest with myself.

How about we see Donaire's career closer to it's conclusion before picking him over a demon like Gomez? Or see him against a genuinely great fighter who has the style and tools to really stretch him? Or even someone who isn't about 13 stone naturally lighter like Montiel, Darchinyan etc? The man makes for some seriously impressive viewing at times, no doubt about that, but come on. Nishioka is/was a decent fighter by today's standards, but I never imagined he had the tools to pull this one off. Too open and lacking in key areas. Still, quite an impressive win for Donaire I suppose, but like has been said, a piss poor cashing in effort from an old man.

Better to see Donaire fighting more regularly too, and against some of the better names that the relatively shallow talent pool has to offer. He spent too long doing **** all post-Darchinyan right up until he fought Montiel. If he were able to clean out super bantam and then move up and take some more scalps closer to his own size, I could see him maybe ending up with air that's sort of part Lopez/Galaxy and part Pacquiao, ie. numbers and dominance over an average crop bar the odd exception, spread out over multiple weights with the benefit of the 24 hour weigh in.
Montiel actually outweighed Donaire on the night.

But yeah, dominating winner of Mares-Moreno and Rigo' would confirm his brilliance to me. I think he's superb, but now he's fighting guys his own size I want a greater quantity of quality fighters for me to think he's that good.

He bragged about how he rehydrated up to lightweight before the Narvaez fight and that's why I'm unhappy to rank him among the great lower weight fighter that struggled to make weight on the day.

Let's see Nonito Vs Arguello and Elorde at 130, Carlos Ortiz and Duran at 135 threads please.

Y'all are gonna' think I'm trolling but I honestly think Samart had a great style to beat Donaire. Heavy puncher, a naturally talented defensive fighter, who worked with it, and an expert ring navigator. If he makes the weight alright, he could cause Donaire some hypothetical issues IMO. I'd say he was a better fighting machine than Nishioka on his very best day, even if his boxing career wouldn't suggest it.

I'm taking Mijares to beat Rafa' at the end of this month by the way Could Diamante be the man to beat Donaire?
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum