Gomez wins 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Donaire v Gomez at SBW?

Also, I will add on first viewing I didn't see any controversy with the Mathebula fight. Thought Nonito won with little hassle, maybe it's worth a rewatch but did anyone else think it was close? Didn't see it myself.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Also, I will add on first viewing I didn't see any controversy with the Mathebula fight. Thought Nonito won with little hassle, maybe it's worth a rewatch but did anyone else think it was close? Didn't see it.

The HBO crew and Compubox stats for the Mathebula fight...

No, Donaire won that fight pretty clearly. Mathebula is awkward as hell, and freakishly sized, poor as his technique may be. But, yeah, that score could only have been controversial if you were a complete novice as a spectator and your eyes are not trained to see what's landing and how well it's landing. I mean, I'd understand if you were not trained to see punch efficiency and it's all just a big blur of watching the punches being thrown, and landing or stopping within the vicinity of the target, being fooled into seeing a competition there.

But, nobody who is well-familiar with boxing should have been scoring the fight, in my opinion, anywhere near a Mathebula card or a draw card. The Compubox, not surprising, was astoundingly asinine, and HBO's commentators were playing the blind, led by the vision challenged (Compubox, aka a couple blokes walking around the ring with clickers, who aren't very sharp themselves). I don't really blame the HBO commentating crew much, as they're as focused on trying to kill dead air as actually seeing what's happening, and it's probably not easy. But, still...
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #18
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Glad to see I wasn't going mad myself.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #19
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

That constant step from side to side that Nonito does (tried it last night, most famously seen taking out Hernan Marquez with it) to chase the angle is something that Gomez also did brilliantly.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #20
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

Here are some highlights of Donaire/Mathebula, for anyone who didn't see Donaire's crazy strategy working like a charm:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpTNH1hbbF0[/ame]
Old 10-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #21
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

In retrospect the writing was on the wall somewhat in the fight with Marquez.Nishioka didn't seem up for it there either, only coming alive once it became apparent Marquez had little left.
lora is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #22
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Flea, didn't realise about Montiel tbh, just thought he looked like a midget next to Donaire . Haven't really seen much of Rigondeaux or Moreno so I'll keep shtum on that, but I don't like Mares' chances against Donaire. Can't see where he has a crucial edge to swing it for him. Agree about Payakaroon though, if he was at the races with his head screwed on and not drained. Incredible talent, though one who doesn't inspire in me the instinctive solid confidence that a man so talented should.

I've not followed Mijares too much following that string of defeats, the odd highlight aside, but he seems to have recovered a measure of success and dignity in fairness to him. He's just my cliched modern benchmark for not being taken in by apparent brilliance.

Yeah, Donaire won the Mathebula fight clearly enough. Mathebula makes me feel like someone's poking the back of my eyes with burning stick though. Big bastard and ungainly with it, but still.

PS: I'll be cheering old man Rafa on....
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #23
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
In retrospect the writing was on the wall somewhat in the fight with Marquez.Nishioka didn't seem up for it there either, only coming alive once it became apparent Marquez had little left.
Agreed, hasn't fought for a year since. Sharp against Munroe, who I really like, but who wasn't World class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
Flea, didn't realise about Montiel tbh, just thought he looked like a midget next to Donaire . Haven't really seen much of Rigondeaux or Moreno so I'll keep shtum on that, but I don't like Mares' chances against Donaire. Can't see where he has a crucial edge to swing it for him. Agree about Payakaroon though, if he was at the races with his head screwed on and not drained. Incredible talent, though one who doesn't inspire in me the instinctive solid confidence that a man so talented should.

I've not followed Mijares too much following that string of defeats, the odd highlight aside, but he seems to have recovered a measure of success and dignity in fairness to him. He's just my cliched modern benchmark for not being taken in by apparent brilliance.

Yeah, Donaire won the Mathebula fight clearly enough. Mathebula makes me feel like someone's poking the back of my eyes with burning stick though. Big bastard and ungainly with it, but still.

PS: I'll be cheering old man Rafa on....
Mares would make Nonito look better than he has done for ages IMO.

Moreno would be an interesting clash but I'm still not sold on him as this mythical talent either. He is very good though, and I think he should be too good for Mares, but hey, I keep underestimating that guy and he's not bad at all.

Santa Cruz looks nails and pretty skilled but you'd expect a fighter like Donaire to do a paint job on him.

Oh, and Mijares all the way! I want him to confirm me to he is great just had a Duran-esque mid career lull
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #24
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

I can't have been the only one to have noticed the similarity...?
Old 10-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #25
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

That clip seems racist BE. Not all white guys are that stiff and awkward...
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Gomez has faced stylists of all different varieties, and didn't struggle to take out the likes of Wilfredo Vasquez Jr and Omar Narvaez.

Donaire is the best H2H super bantam based on beating Nishioka? Who isn't even that good himself (very good, but not great, in his late 30s) I don't think it's a farcical claim to give Donaire, a lightweight, a very good chance against anyone around these weights don't get me wrong, just think him being favoured outright against Gomez is a bit ludicrous given the reasons you've given. He'll just beat Gomez to the punch. And Gomez will.....not try anything different?

I'm not saying Gomez could not be hit and hurt at 122, but not by punch picking with him.

Donaire would be following Gomez like Zarate did. Bazooka can fight it out if he needs to, or he can box and counter. Donaire is brilliant at this as well. I really rate Nonito, but not against Wilfredo Gomez at super bantam.

If Nonito beats Salido at 126 would he then be good enough to beat Sal' Sanchez?

Anyway, I see your Wilfredo Gomez and raise you Jeff Fenech.
WV2 was an off night but he shut out Narvaez and his inability to finish him isn't that big a deal imo.

I picked him as the best H2H at BW in that thread a few month back, he's obviously carried his power up and I expect him to beat whoever he faces in this division before moving up. Of course I could be wrong, I just can't see him losing at 122/126.

Gomez will adapt and try other things, I just don't think he'll be successful enough to win the fight.

Well Gamboa dominated Salido but I wouldn't necessarily favour him over Sal. It's more that I don't see Donaire as being any worse than he was at BW so I'm combining his efforts.

Would Donaire become a stalker against Gomez, I don't see it but it isn't beyond reasonable. I don't see any real weakness in his game. Well he is a bit too willing to take punches and this could cost him, especially here but I reckon I'd favour him over anyone from 122-118 given a 24 hour weigh in.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #27
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Yeah, well give him a same day weigh in, which is how I roll, and I see him losing to Gomez.

He stalked Narvaez and couldn't really open him up. He isn't going to be able to do much with Gomez IMO, although he might have him down early.

Fenech would walk through Donaire.

Also, 126?!?! What, Sanchez, Saddler, Arguello, Marcel? You'd favour him over these??
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #28
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
I wondered how long it would take for a thread like this to crop up. On the plus side, if asero still posted here, Donaire would have knocked Gomez for six inside the first ten seconds. I swear I'd have liked Donaire a bit more from the word go if wasn't for him.....

Anyway, it's this type of knee-jerk reaction - understandable though it is - that bypasses the rational, humane side of my brain and plugs straight into the nasty, cynical side; consequently, I almost want to see fighters like Donaire go flying off the rails in glorious, Mijares-like fashion. And that's just cuntish if I'm being honest with myself.

How about we see Donaire's career closer to it's conclusion before picking him over a demon like Gomez? Or see him against a genuinely great fighter who has the style and tools to really stretch him? Or even someone who isn't about 13 stone naturally lighter like Montiel, Darchinyan etc? The man makes for some seriously impressive viewing at times, no doubt about that, but come on. Nishioka is/was a decent fighter by today's standards, but I never imagined he had the tools to pull this one off. Too open and lacking in key areas. Still, quite an impressive win for Donaire I suppose, but like has been said, a piss poor cashing in effort from an old man.

Better to see Donaire fighting more regularly though, and against some of the better names that the relatively shallow talent pool has to offer. He spent too long doing **** all post-Darchinyan right up until he fought Montiel. If he were able to clean out super bantam and then move up and take some more scalps closer to his own size, I could see him maybe ending up with air that's sort of part Lopez/Galaxy and part Pacquiao, ie. numbers and dominance over an average crop bar the odd exception, spread out over multiple weights with the benefit of the 24 hour weigh in.
it's more of a delayed reaction from his montiel victory.

he ****ed up after starching darch, I thought Montiel would do him actually but I was wrong. Call it a hunch but I think he's the real deal. If he loses to someone then happily bump this thread and laugh at me but I think he's the best in the divisions history.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #29
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeah, well give him a same day weigh in, which is how I roll, and I see him losing to Gomez.

He stalked Narvaez and couldn't really open him up. He isn't going to be able to do much with Gomez IMO, although he might have him down early.

Draining him down against a demon like Gomez would probably make me favour Gomez as well tbh.

Fenech walks into a huge Donaire punch and gets sparked.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #30
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:

Also, 126?!?! What, Sanchez, Saddler, Arguello, Marcel? You'd favour him over these??
meant 118-122
lufcrazy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum