Gomez wins 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #61
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4710
Default Re: Donaire v Gomez at SBW?

It must b on record that as poor as Donaire's opposition was , Gomez' opposition that he did manage 2 beat was not any better .

Not that i consider Donaire d GOAT @ 122 , but Gomez certainly is not .

Zarate was probably given herpes sluts in PR so he would get d flu , and then got d scales engineered against him so he would have "had trouble making 122lbs"

and then Gomez punched Zarate while he was down which yielded him d TKO .

And then , Zarate's opposition @ 118 was nothing extraordinary , not better than recent years' whatsoever .
In fact in recent years , fighters with a 2-3 record do not get world title fights @ 118 or 122 .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2012, 03:38 AM   #62
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Datz bcoz u no nuffink of eva era Frank, **** off.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 AM   #63
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4710

Good 2 know that Darchiniyan did not respect Nonito , since i failed 2 notice it myself .

And at least as far as gr8ness go , I think that Nonito wasted 2 much of his career being a protected fighter 2b able 2 have as good a record as Carbajal's .

Donaire's opposition/achievements may still surpass RJJ's , BHop's or Rafael Marquez' , but Darchiniyan is d 1 with d far better and more impressing resume whom simply took on d best available .

So Donaire stopped Darchiniyan when probably both of them , or at least Darchiniyan was drained , but Darchiniyan still has a case 4 being ranked higher , on either p4p , or even h2h terms .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #64
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
it's more of a delayed reaction from his montiel victory.

he ****ed up after starching darch, I thought Montiel would do him actually but I was wrong. Call it a hunch but I think he's the real deal. If he loses to someone then happily bump this thread and laugh at me but I think he's the best in the divisions history.
I've always liked Montiel a lot. Hard, sneaky puncher with a deceptive reach and unpredictable edge to him. Been about a long time too. But a great/near-great fighter or great/near-great talent? No. Not even a very good one, even when he was younger at the lower weights. Too sloppy and caught between styles with a habit of not turning up when it mattered eg. against vulnerable Gonzalez and past it Too Sharp. Decent win against Hasegawa though where he showed what I've always liked about him. He was getting hammered though before he turned it round. I picked Donaire to beat him clearly enough but thought that he might be dangerous if he could get going and Donaire didn't show him any respect. But of course it never happened that way.

Whatever the alphabet belts say, the prime Montiels and Nishiokas of the world are no better than lots of decent, solid contenders from years gone by who sometimes never won titles and whose names appeared pretty frequently on most great fighter's records. Sydorenko even moreso. And that isn't a slight on them or their careers; they still have my respect. Darchinyan is maybe half a notch better as a scalp, but him, Montiel and Nishioka to me are the only notable names on Donaire's record other than the toiling efforts against Marquez, Narvaez, Vasquez Jr etc. It's been quite impressive the way he's dealt with the first 3 though. He might be the real deal like you say, but he needs to do a fair bit more to prove it imo, and we'll know better once his career is nearer to it's close. As things currently stand, too many people are willing to crack one out over him because of how much better he looks than the chaff surrounding him and, like JM Marquez, he can throw a punch with the proper technique where the majority can't. Makes him stand out a lot more than it would if there was any depth in the talent pool. Not Donaire's fault, of course. He can only beat who's in front of him.

If greatness comes for him, and it well might do, I think it will be like I said because of the weight jumping, numbers and dominance rather than any great names on his record or an ATG skill set/talent. He has skill, technique and talent but it's less prevalent than his speed and power imo. I'd be comfortable saying that I've watched plenty of lower weight fighters who had greater skill sets and proven toughness.

The light that you seem to be trying to project on to him is some way from reality imo, if you think that his abilities and achievements outweigh Gomez's at super bantam or that he's the greatest h2h bantam. Or that he'd knock out Fenech tbh, that one is a bit baffling.

Each to their own, I suppose. You seem like the decent, earnest sort and you're clearly not an idiot so we'll leave it that at that.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #65
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Gomez has faced stylists of all different varieties, and didn't struggle to take out the likes of Wilfredo Vasquez Jr and Omar Narvaez.

Donaire is the best H2H super bantam based on beating Nishioka? Who isn't even that good himself (very good, but not great, in his late 30s) I don't think it's a farcical claim to give Donaire, a lightweight, a very good chance against anyone around these weights don't get me wrong, just think him being favoured outright against Gomez is a bit ludicrous given the reasons you've given. He'll just beat Gomez to the punch. And Gomez will.....not try anything different?

I'm not saying Gomez could not be hit and hurt at 122, but not by punch picking with him.

Donaire would be following Gomez like Zarate did. Bazooka can fight it out if he needs to, or he can box and counter. Donaire is brilliant at this as well. I really rate Nonito, but not against Wilfredo Gomez at super bantam.

If Nonito beats Salido at 126 would he then be good enough to beat Sal' Sanchez?

Anyway, I see your Wilfredo Gomez and raise you Jeff Fenech.
Both Gomez and Fenech would obliterate this guy
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #66
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
I've always liked Montiel a lot. Hard, sneaky puncher with a deceptive reach and unpredictable edge to him. Been about a long time too. But a great/near-great fighter or great/near-great talent? No. Not even a very good one, even when he was younger at the lower weights. Too sloppy and caught between styles with a habit of not turning up when it mattered eg. against vulnerable Gonzalez and past it Too Sharp. Decent win against Hasegawa though where he showed what I've always liked about him. He was getting hammered though before he turned it round. I picked Donaire to beat him clearly enough but thought that he might be dangerous if he could get going and Donaire didn't show him any respect. But of course it never happened that way.

Whatever the alphabet belts say, the prime Montiels and Nishiokas of the world are no better than lots of decent, solid contenders from years gone by who sometimes never won titles and whose names appeared pretty frequently on most great fighter's records. Sydorenko even moreso. And that isn't a slight on them or their careers; they still have my respect. Darchinyan is maybe half a notch better as a scalp, but him, Montiel and Nishioka to me are the only notable names on Donaire's record other than the toiling efforts against Marquez, Narvaez, Vasquez Jr etc. It's been quite impressive the way he's dealt with the first 3 though. He might be the real deal like you say, but he needs to do a fair bit more to prove it imo, and we'll know better once his career is nearer to it's close. As things currently stand, too many people are willing to crack one out over him because of how much better he looks than the chaff surrounding him and, like JM Marquez, he can throw a punch with the proper technique where the majority can't. Makes him stand out a lot more than it would if there was any depth in the talent pool. Not Donaire's fault, of course. He can only beat who's in front of him.

If greatness comes for him, and it well might do, I think it will be like I said because of the weight jumping, numbers and dominance rather than any great names on his record or an ATG skill set/talent. He has skill, technique and talent but it's less prevalent than his speed and power imo. I'd be comfortable saying that I've watched plenty of lower weight fighters who had greater skill sets and proven toughness.

The light that you seem to be trying to project on to him is some way from reality imo, if you think that his abilities and achievements outweigh Gomez's at super bantam or that he's the greatest h2h bantam. Or that he'd knock out Fenech tbh, that one is a bit baffling.

Each to their own, I suppose. You seem like the decent, earnest sort and you're clearly not an idiot so we'll leave it that at that.
time will tell I guess.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #67
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
time will tell I guess.
How do you like Moreno's chances against Donaire? He's a fighter with a big reputation whom I haven't seen that much of and am trying to get up to speed on. Reminds me a bit so far of a less talented Zapata.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #68
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
How do you like Moreno's chances against Donaire? He's a fighter with a big reputation whom I haven't seen that much of and am trying to get up to speed on. Reminds me a bit so far of a less talented Zapata.
Moreno is flying under the radar somewhat but he seems very technically sound.

I though Darch edged out Mares and he gave Agbeko a good fight but Moreno was pretty dominant against him. If Moreno beats Mares comfortably I'd imagine the fight won't be that far away from fifty fifty in the betting figures.

I expect Donaire to win though, I think he's really gonna prove himself one of the best ever.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #69
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Agbeko beat Vic pretty easily IMO, could not miss with the right hand.

Mares put the controversy of the first fight to clearly put himself past King Kong in the rematch.

Still, I reckon Moreno wins.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #70
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Agbeko beat Vic pretty easily IMO, could not miss with the right hand.

Mares put the controversy of the first fight to clearly put himself past King Kong in the rematch.

he did do but Darch always looked in it to me. It was like a 10-2 decision but the rounds were fairly close. Darch tried bullying, failed and never adapted.

He did but by the time Mares had put himself beyond Agbeko, Moreno had risen above him imo.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #71
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

Quote:

My gut feeling says he may get robbed.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #72
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro chris View Post
My gut feeling says he may get robbed.
Mine too!
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #73
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

I just hope it's a good fight with a legit ending.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #74
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Sorry to be pedantic but Montiel was finished on his feet regardless of how gone he was (completely)
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #75
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Horrific but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Didn't balance out all the early stoppages we see nowadays
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum