Old 10-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #76
Ncc84
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 160
Default Re: Price's career going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Nobody goes, "i hope i'm fighting a 45 year old former british champion three years from now" at the start of their careers, no.

Let me ask you a question - which of these schedules is preferable for a novice:

Oct 10th: Audley Harrison
Dec 10th: Matt Skelton
Apr 14th: Tyson Fury.

OR

Oct 10th: Audley Harrison
Apr 14th: Tyson Fury.

Easy, isn't it?
But they aren't the only options. They could fit in a bout against someone else between october and April.

The Skelton bout was announced immediately after the harrison fight, so they obviously negotiated it prior to that. So they had longer than 8 weeks to fit something in.
Ncc84 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #77
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncc84 View Post
But they aren't the only options. They could fit in a bout against someone else between october and April.
Given that I answered your near-rhetorical question, you could have answered mine...

That has already been explained to you. It's fair enough not to like it, but even if you were Price's direct handler and you said "no opponent that I like, so no British belt for you" and he said "**** off" you'd still be stuck.

His career. It's important to him. Seems reasonable to me.

In the meantime, the way he's been handled has made him an overwhelming favourite to win when he steps up to handle Fury, amongst fans at least. That will be reflected by the bookies for obvious reasons.

Handling a fighter is a choice. They chose to protect him early (perhaps to ease confidence issues, perhaps due to concerns that have been ironed out by training and fights) or move him on. There is a reckoning for that choice at some point. Most people think that he will survive this reckoning due to his physical gifts and technical improvments. I agree with them, we shall see.

I consider, now, becuase of the above that he has been handled very well. But we won't know until he jumps the shark.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #78
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsa huge bitch View Post
i agree with this..price is in no need for being hurryed along..but if truth be told what is audley and skelton going to do for his ability..audley is just a well known punching bag as a pro.and skelton has seen better younger days..they are pointless fights if you ask me..but like you said no harm in him trotting along and going for a world title when hes 32 ish...i would just be doing it a different way..and continued opponents like this will always beg the question what are they trying to hide...
its a stay busy fight, probably to secure the lonsdale belt
DaveyboyEssexUK is online now  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #79
Ncc84
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Given that I answered your rhetorical question, you could have answered mine...

That has already been explained to you. It's fair enough not to like it, but even if you were Price's direct handler and you said "no opponent that I like, so no British belt for you" and he said "**** off" you'd still be stuck.

His career. It's important to him. Seems reasonable to me.

In the meantime, the way he's been handled has made him an overwhelming favourite to win when he steps up to handle Fury, amongst fans at least. That will be reflected by the bookies for obvious reasons.

Handling a fighter is a choice. They chose to protect him early (perhaps to ease confidence issues, perhaps due to concerns that have been ironed out by training and fights) or move him on. There is a reckoning for that choice at some point. Most people think that he will survive this reckoning due to his physical gifts and technical improvments. I agree with them, we shall see.

I consider, now, becuase of the above that he has been handled very well. But we won't know until he jumps the shark.
Your rhetorical question was obsolete because you presented it as a Boolean question, but there are not just two possible answers. It is not a matter of Skelton or nobody.
Skelton is preferable over nobody for the purpose of the lonsdale belt, but the defences do not need to be in succession. He could fight somebody better then fury then someone like towers, whyte, chisora, Haye when they are available if it is that important. Even Sosnowski would probably be eligible for the british title as he is a citizen here.

I understand that he may want the Lonsdale belt, or Maloney wants him to get it. I'm saying that seeking rewards such as that do nothing for his development, and in fact hinder his development by slowing down his career progress.
Ncc84 is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #80
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverDan View Post
Although he is green and shouldn't be talking about titles just yet, I can't help but feel the power he has will go to his head and make him think all he has do to is turn up and knock people out.

If they keep feeding him C level domestic competition that he gains nothing from other than another KO on his record, he'll get outfoxed when he steps up.

Having said that, Fury is doing a good job of sprinting away from Price and then barking shit when Price isn't there.
Price is too professional and level headed to think like that, watch his fights he doesnt go looking for the big punch he lets it come off his boxing
Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #81
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post
Lol Jelly Yanks

Spose he should take the Stiff Mitchell and Detony Windmiller route eh? eh?
lol exactly how many fights they had and who have they fought???
Old 10-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #82
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
He is 14-0. He's learning. Skelton, if it happens, is happening in December. That's a fast turnaround. He's hardly "another Povetkin." Povetkin is a protected "world" champion. Price is boxing his way up the rankings - at his own pace.

He's 29. As a HW, he may peak as late as five years from now. At this rate, he will have fought for a world title before then.

People need to chill the **** out about propsects. Fighting for the title at 14-0 is totally abnormal. Lewis was 22-0 when he first fought for a wold title and likley didn't peak until he was 34, 35. Wladimir was 34-1 and didn't peak until he was 33, 34.

Now, at 14-0 and aged 29, Price is "another Povetkin"?

No.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #83
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Skelton is preferable over nobody for the purpose of the lonsdale belt, but the defences do not need to be in succession. He could fight somebody better then fury then someone like towers, whyte, chisora, Haye when they are available if it is that important. Even Sosnowski would probably be eligible for the british title as he is a citizen here.

I understand that he may want the Lonsdale belt, or Maloney wants him to get it. I'm saying that seeking rewards such as that do nothing for his development, and in fact hinder his development by slowing down his career progress.
His progress has been absolutely astonishing. He looks like a different fighter. He has overtaken every British contemporary accodring to most observers in terms of quality. So I respectfully disagree with you.

This boils down to: you know better than the men doing the job (including the fighter). Maybe you do - but that's unproven. All we have is what we have. And what we have is a hugely improved fighter who would be favoured against every domestic HW outside of David Haye - and he's a three year 14 fight pro.

Astonishing.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #84
Jim Bowen
MARVELOUS
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. In another thread I even went through many British fighters to explain why Skelton is the only possible choice for this.

I just think if there isn't a worthy British opponent available to defend against, at his age and stage in his career he should move on.
If Chisora was a possible opponent then I would be all for winning the belt outright, but he isn't.

If he wants it on his mantle piece in 30 years he may as well blast Skelton out and move on to better things in the New Year.
Jim Bowen is online now  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #85
Tora
Estonian Cab Driver
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahurath View Post
He's got 14 fights my friend. Alot of fighters have waited alot longer. Stop comparing him with Mike tyson.

He is getting along fine, building hype and bringing excitment when he fights so its ok.
Tora is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #86
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
This is pretty much what I was saying. But Price won't have the experience to have the "tehcnical, tactical and strategic" aspects.
It's his 4th opponent, not his fifth. This is a completely normal progression in terms of who he is fighting for someone with this number of fights.
There isn't a better available British opponent to defend the title against.
My point is that, because the 14 fights have been over a long period of time and he is nearly 30, the schedule needed to be adjusted and speeded up.

He's going to be going from skelton and Harrison to a top 10 ranked fighter, that is not a good gradual progression, he's going to have to take a huge leap in quality because he's spent too long in getting this far. Not in terms of the number of fights, but the time frame of 3 3/4 years to get to this point.
Don't forget that price has a lot of experience and pedigree as an amatuer which will surely help him on his way to the next level. Price boxes, and seems to take note of opponents weaknesses defencively and deflects their attention with his menacing jab and then pow! He also has the Watson like instinct when attacked his gloves go straight up,plus the variety of punches he throws is impressive as well as being very agile for a 6'8 guy.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #87
Ncc84
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
His progress has been absolutely astonishing. He looks like a different fighter. He has overtaken every British contemporary accodring to most observers in terms of quality. So I respectfully disagree with you.

This boils down to: you know better than the men doing the job (including the fighter). Maybe you do - but that's unproven. All we have is what we have. And what we have is a hugely improved fighter who would be favoured against every domestic HW outside of David Haye - and he's a three year 14 fight pro.

Astonishing.
I also think he is improving, but it's not because of his fights. It's his training. If he had better opponents he would improve from his training and from his fights. Good opponents that challenge him would help focus his training so it becomes more clear what to develop. Why do you disagree with that?

How do you think Price's development so far compares to the boxers I mentioned previously? Better or worse?
Ncc84 is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #88
itsa huge bitch
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 762

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyboyEs***UK View Post
its a stay busy fight, probably to secure the lonsdale belt
yea i agree with that.and im not really fussed.but all im saying fighting audley and skelton isnt going to help development one bit..
itsa huge bitch is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #89
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
I also think he is improving, but it's not because of his fights. It's his training. If he had better opponents he would improve from his training and from his fights. Good opponents that challenge him would help focus his training so it becomes more clear what to develop. Why do you disagree with that?

How do you think Price's development so far compares to the boxers I mentioned previously? Better or worse?
I don't think it's as straight forwards as you make out though. Confidence issues. Technical issues. Whatever reason he was held for may make sense, we don't know. He's diiferent to the fighters you mention.

So judge the end product. Which is marvelous.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #90
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsa huge bitch View Post
yea i agree with that.and im not really fussed.but all im saying fighting audley and skelton isnt going to help development one bit..
im sure price knows that, but if he wants to keep the prestigious lonsdale belt then fair play to him. Price has alot of experience through being an amatuer and has sparred some top guys that will all help , but i know that being in the ring first hand is a very different creature. in the next 2-3 fights i think he`ll be fighting a euro level fighter and the onwards and upwards

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum