DrMo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Nafflad26
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Carl Froch vs Chris Eubank

Froch has fought at super middleweight all his career whereas Eubank was a middleweight for most of his career. Froch's size and strength would see him to squeeze to a points decision although Eubank was probably the slightly better all round fighter. As for the record and best win's its difficult to compare.
Nafflad26 is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Shit post ^

Umm....best win? Eubank has Benn I and Watson II. Both, the latter especially, are more impressive than Taylor or Bute IMO.

Eubank had some poor defences and some close calls, Froch has Dirrell, and lost bang in his prime to Kessler.

Eubank stepped it up sooner and took on Thompson at cruiser, acquitting himself well, when past his best. Then again he let Collins off the hook and was lucky to get the draw second time round with Benn. So he wasn't the greatest decision maker.

Achievements it's hard for me, get back to me in a few years when Frochy has retired and I can look on him with some clarity.

As for a hypothetical matchup, that's all kids of awkward with two guys who invariably had really sloppy punching technique. Eubank will be able to force Froch into more mistakes, but will punch less frequently. Froch will throw more but will give Eubank more time to figure out ways around his jab. He will at some point and Froch will have to wing away to force a score as he does, and then it's down to Eubank's superior slickness in movement. Close decision either way and probably really horrible to watch.

Both have the chin to take each others shots. Eubank an underrated puncher, Froch maybe held in a bit too much esteem as a pure puncher.

Neither are perfect, in terms of career trajectory or skillset and application. Eubank has more to choose from good and bad so it'll be easier to pick holes in him at this moment of time. I never saw him shut out the way Froch was against Ward, but then he never took on the best of his era, Jones, which may've yielded a similar result. Not putting the blame on Eubank or Roy there, it is what it is.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafflad26 View Post
Froch has fought at super middleweight all his career whereas Eubank was a middleweight for most of his career. Froch's size and strength would see him to squeeze to a points decision although Eubank was probably the slightly better all round fighter. As for the record and best win's its difficult to compare.
He spent over 6 years at supermiddle, thats where most of his title fights took place, I'm not sure Froch is either bigger at the weight or stronger than Eubank tbh.

They had very different careers, Eubank racked up a lot of defences & won titles at 2 different weights but Froch has been on an very tough run the last few years. Hard to compare the 2 but I think its interesting
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Shit post ^

Umm....best win? Eubank has Benn I and Watson II. Both, the latter especially, are more impressive than Taylor or Bute IMO.

Eubank had some poor defences and some close calls, Froch has Dirrell, and lost bang in his prime to Kessler.

Eubank stepped it up sooner and took on Thompson at cruiser, acquitting himself well, when past his best. Then again he let Collins off the hook and was lucky to get the draw second time round with Benn. So he wasn't the greatest decision maker.

Achievements it's hard for me, get back to me in a few years when Frochy has retired and I can look on him with some clarity.

As for a hypothetical matchup, that's all kids of awkward with two guys who invariably had really sloppy punching technique. Eubank will be able to force Froch into more mistakes, but will punch less frequently. Froch will throw more but will give Eubank more time to figure out ways around his jab. He will at some point and Froch will have to wing away to force a score as he does, and then it's down to Eubank's superior slickness in movement. Close decision either way and probably really horrible to watch.

Both have the chin to take each others shots. Eubank an underrated puncher, Froch maybe held in a bit too much esteem as a pure puncher.

Neither are perfect, in terms of career trajectory or skillset and application. Eubank has more to choose from good and bad so it'll be easier to pick holes in him at this moment of time. I never saw him shut out the way Froch was against Ward, but then he never took on the best of his era, Jones, which may've yielded a similar result. Not putting the blame on Eubank or Roy there, it is what it is.

I'm not sure the fantasy fight would be all that aesthetically awful, both guys are awkward & unorthodox but I think it might gel into a tactical duel with some fierce exchanges.

I'd favour Eubank being able to land the more eyecatching counters & outscoring Froch's industry but it would be very competitive. If its close going down the stretch then there could be fireworks imo.
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Eubank via UD.

Carl has got a great set of whiskers, but they are nowhere NEAR the same level as Chris's. Chris also has one punch KO power (something that Froch is lacking yet he thinks he has in abundance).

I'd say that Eubank has better movement and a better arsenal of punches than Carl as well.

Everything Carl does Chris does better.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
Mike Hunt
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Depends If it was the eubank before Watson 2 or after. After what happened to Watson when he had the guy hurt he wouldn't finish the job. It affected eubank mentally.
Mike Hunt is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
Check_Hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipple View Post
Eubank via UD.

Carl has got a great set of whiskers, but they are nowhere NEAR the same level as Chris's. Chris also has one punch KO power (something that Froch is lacking yet he thinks he has in abundance).

I'd say that Eubank has better movement and a better arsenal of punches than Carl as well.

Everything Carl does Chris does better.
Dont agree, both have a brilliant chin, nothing in it.
Check_Hook is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
glue glove
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The Eubank before the Watson tragedy was a genius in the ring.

I'd go for a Eubank UD

Neither would be able to hurt each other but Chris has the skills to make Froch look silly.
glue glove is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

This could make for an ugly and sloppy fight but if they abandon their boxing then it would be one for the ages.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check_Hook View Post
Dont agree, both have a brilliant chin, nothing in it.
Eubank faced better punchers and bigger guys.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Eubank's chin is way more proven than Froch's.

Froch is without question a very hard man indeed, but he's not undentable the way that Eubank was.

I'd bet a decent amount of money that Benn could hurt Froch, Watson might as well.

Eubank made Benn's right hand missiles seem like Calzaghe-esque slaps.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Froch relies on a long jab and Eubank was never once caught with a range-finding left; such subtle reflexes and Napoles-esque head movement, had Eubank. If Froch steps in wailing, Eubank has that six-inch counter right hand.... Froch can't beat Eubank.

Pascal and Dirrell are raw to this day, and Taylor, Abraham and Johnson were years and weights over the hill. We'll see how good Bute was by how he responds now...

Eubank beat Benn and Watson at their most aggressive, and also outboxed Watson beautifully in their first fight as well as outfighting Benn inside in their second fight. They were primed, strong and in a unique mindset and had proved themselves against lb4lb-rated multi-time champions McCallum/Barkley. Then there's 35-0 Rocchigiani who looked to have been the top LHW of the 90s (robbed against both Maske and Michalczewski), outside of Roy Jones.

Froch can't compare to that.

Eubank, Eubank, Eubank.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #14
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
Eubank's chin is way more proven than Froch's.

Froch is without question a very hard man indeed, but he's not undentable the way that Eubank was.

I'd bet a decent amount of money that Benn could hurt Froch, Watson might as well.

Eubank made Benn's right hand missiles seem like Calzaghe-esque slaps.
I agree that Eubank' chin is more proven, but he was dentable, the second Watson fight showed that.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Both have brilliant hearts, both are tough as old boots.

Eubank though being more refined, and being able to blag rounds with his footwork and generalship would win the fight. He'd have some trouble with Froch who would pile the pressure on but i'd go for Eubank's fundamentals and ability to ride the storm to take the fight 116-112.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum