boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Dipset
Dipset4Ever
ESB Addict

vCash: 639
Default Floyd has Slowed Down, If Canelo KO'd Him Would You Be Shocked?

I am a fan of Mayweather & even with...age...inactivity...prison...personal problems...slowing of foot movement...I think Floyd beats everyone still...Martinez, Pac, Bradley, Khan, GGG, Pirog, Geale, Berto, Mathessye, Alexander, Brook....BUT....

I rememeber ROY JONES-TARVER II....NO ONE EXPECTED THE BETTER MORE TALENTED FIGHTER TO GET KO'D....beaten is one thing...KO'D is a whole different story....

Thoughts please brothers...

Dipset4Ever
Dipset is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
HawkFan16
Unshot/In My Prime
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd has Slowed Down, If Canelo KO'd Him Would You Be Shocked?

I would still be surprised, only because Floyd has top-notch defensive skills and hasn't ever shown serious evidence of being glass-jawed.

That being said, I expect the younger Canelo to take a decision over him if they fight in late 2013/early 2014. Floyd's reflexes, handspeed, and lateral movement aren't what they used to be at all. Canelo has great handspeed, power, combination punching, punch placement, and solid timing and ring-cutting ability to go with it. He's also much bigger and stronger than Floyd is; if Cotto could rough Floyd up and move him around on the ropes, Alvarez will bully him a lot more easily.

The guy who beats Canelo will probably be a classic taller outboxer who can keep up a high volume of jabs and straights at long range while utilizing great lateral movement. I think Martinez is stylistically a very bad matchup for him, but that might change now if he comes back from injury and isn't the same. Canelo's only two weak spots are probably his average foot speed and at-times low workrate. Floyd can't really exploit either of those anymore.
HawkFan16 is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I would expect it, Floyd is about at the same stage De La Hoya was when he beat Oscar.
Time to pass that "Torch"
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Yeah I would be.

People often wonder in Mayweather will have done to him, what Antonio Tarver did to Jones. The answer is no. Jones had so many bad habbits, he was probably 85% reliant on his physical gifts.

Now look at Mayweather. He uses his physical gifts, but unlike Jones, he has world class fundamentals. He controlls opponents through technical and technical superiority, not just through being quicker and stronger.

A hybrid if you will, of Jones and Hopkins. The missing link.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
mrjotatp4p
THE ONE
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
Yeah I would be.

People often wonder in Mayweather will have done to him, what Antonio Tarver did to Jones. The answer is no. Jones had so many bad habbits, he was probably 85% reliant on his physical gifts.

Now look at Mayweather. He uses his physical gifts, but unlike Jones, he has world class fundamentals. He controlls opponents through technical and technical superiority, not just through being quicker and stronger.

A hybrid if you will, of Jones and Hopkins. The missing link.
mrjotatp4p is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
bjl12
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipset View Post
I am a fan of Mayweather & even with...age...inactivity...prison...
People... PLEASE... STOP SAYING PRISON. Sweet ass Floyd was in JAIL. JAIL. JAIL. JAIL.

Prison is where violent offenders (rapists, murders, armed burglary, molesters [and drug dealers sadly]). Jail is for first time offenders (fist fighting), or possession or DUI'ers.

Floyd was in J A I L. NOT - ****ING - PRISON. Major difference. I understand he was locked up 23 hours a day, but the atmosphere in jail and prison are day and night.

Floyd did NOT DO HARD TIME - NO GANSTA POINTS LOL

And, keep in mind, this lasted like 80 days?!
bjl12 is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Floyd has Slowed Down, If Canelo KO'd Him Would You Be Shocked?
If Canelo put up a competitive fight, I'll be shocked. Never mind knock him out.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
timeout
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 83

His legs are gone.

Talk to me when he actually signs a fight with someone.

Till then urge baby.
timeout is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
cippi
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 11573

i would be surprised. but i wouldnt be surprised if it was a competitive floyds gettin old each fight will get closer n closer to him losing . hes smart enough to just retire now. but he wants to keep makin money so hes gunna fight again
cippi is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
tliang1000
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 60700

I would be shocked if Canelo can ko Floyd. I don't is good enough to beat Floyd quite yet but maybe after 2-3 more fights he would have a good chance outworking and hurting FLoyd. Floyd is still good enough to pot shot, smother and spoil the fight.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
Alo2006
R.I.P Sean Taylor
ESB Addict

I'd be surprised, but it won't happen like it did with Jones. Jones speed and reflexes slowed down. People have to realize, Mayweather can go on and fight for another 4 or 5 years on just his skill set. Just like Bhop has done. Too skilled, too smart for Canelo right now. Even next year, i'd still pick Mayweather by UD
Alo2006 is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
larryx2012
I AM BETTER THEN YOU
East Side Guru

vCash: 661284

Floyd isnt getting ko'd by anyone,to smart and he can always depend on his defense
larryx2012 is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Absolutely...He still has the best all around D of anyone around and has never showed any sign of having a weak chin.

But Floyd is gradually slipping...he has never been absolutely sensational (by his standards) at welter and above but his is looking a little more beatable in each fight.
If Canelo was to win my jaw wouldn't hit the ground but I would be very shocked by a KO win..even a stoppage would really astound me and a points win would at the very least startle me.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
BadDog
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkFan16 View Post
I would still be surprised, only because Floyd has top-notch defensive skills and hasn't ever shown serious evidence of being glass-jawed.

That being said, I expect the younger Canelo to take a decision over him if they fight in late 2013/early 2014. Floyd's reflexes, handspeed, and lateral movement aren't what they used to be at all. Canelo has great handspeed, power, combination punching, punch placement, and solid timing and ring-cutting ability to go with it. He's also much bigger and stronger than Floyd is; if Cotto could rough Floyd up and move him around on the ropes, Alvarez will bully him a lot more easily.

The guy who beats Canelo will probably be a classic taller outboxer who can keep up a high volume of jabs and straights at long range while utilizing great lateral movement. I think Martinez is stylistically a very bad matchup for him, but that might change now if he comes back from injury and isn't the same. Canelo's only two weak spots are probably his average foot speed and at-times low workrate. Floyd can't really exploit either of those anymore.
That's why Floyd won't fight Canelo
BadDog is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
The13thRound
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I'd eat my hat but I don't think thats going to happen somehow
The13thRound is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum