Old 01-31-2008, 08:13 AM   #31
sean
pale peice of pig`s ear
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jeff Lacy: What now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber
Funny how Eubank is shit in some folks eyes, aint it. I remember him being a top 5 160-168 fighter for quite a few years. See what happens if you dont come from the Bronx.
the biggest misconception is that eubank was shot and could not make weight for calzaghe.

i saw all eubanks fights from long before he became champ on the old screensport channel

eubank v calzaghe was 31 years old and threw more punches and showed more stamina than he did in 95% of his previous fights.
sean is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2008, 08:50 AM   #32
Bodysnatcher
Champion
East Side Guru

edit

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 02-18-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Bodysnatcher is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 09:08 AM   #33
Dekkers
Team Bergeron
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow182
I'd never even heard of Lacy before JC wooped his ass......what did most US fans actually think of him after the Robin Reid fight going into the Joe Cal build up?
The hype was huge and he was a heavy favourite, it's fair to say 2 out of 3 posters expected Lacy to win and I was one of them, wasn't expecting that performance from Calzaghe.
Dekkers is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 09:28 AM   #34
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
the biggest misconception is that eubank was shot and could not make weight for calzaghe.

i saw all eubanks fights from long before he became champ on the old screensport channel

eubank v calzaghe was 31 years old and threw more punches and showed more stamina than he did in 95% of his previous fights.
Exactly! Eubank wasn't peak but that shouldn't suggest he was shot. Too many people try to warp facts to suit their predjudices.
Also they conviently forget that Calzaghe was a complete novice when he won the title.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 09:50 AM   #35
KnockOutNetwork
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr94
Manfredo looked ill, like he had the flu. Boxed well though for most of the fight. Lacy by a round or 2 after the knockdown, but Lacy looked bad. I was real disappointed. Lacy looked gun-shy and wouldn't pull the trigger on openings. Looked strong but slow of hand and foot.
Good call! Peter missed some time in the gym the week of the fight because he had Strep (SP?) Throat.

Mike
Host, 'Toe2Toe'
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Tonight: Vernon Forrest and Dan Goossen
KnockOutNetwork is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 09:53 AM   #36
KnockOutNetwork
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Team Lacy has apparently decided that a tune-up bout is the way to go and they are looking for an ESPN date to feature Jeff on.

Jeff talked about this when he interviewed the week after the Manfredo bout but then it seemed as they were out looking for something more for his next fight.

But as of last week, I was told that they had all decided that they needed an ESPN level fight before going after another big fight.

Mike
Host, 'Toe2Toe'
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Tonight: Vernon Forrest and Dan Goossen
KnockOutNetwork is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 09:56 AM   #37
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

The 2nd Typsko fight was, imo, when Lacy became 'shot' - he just has a look now of a guy who's too hesitant and doesn't have full confidence in his body. It was an especially bad injury for someone life jeff who relies on twisting power shots.
Polymath is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 10:37 AM   #38
ApatheticLeader
is bringing ***y back.
East Side Guru

vCash: 187

Quote:
Is Dawson the next Lacy?? I see Kessler beating him badly
Dawson is probably the only fighter at 175 I see beating Kessler.
ApatheticLeader is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 10:39 AM   #39
MasterFlo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

It's unfourtunate that Manfredo got sick, right away when I saw him I said he looked like he had the flu. Then Lampley said he had strep throat quite recently. I'm not a Manfredo fan but the earlier Lacy gets put out of his misery the better, he seems like a decent guy but completly banked on his power which seems non-existant now.
MasterFlo is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #40
2ironmt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I'd never even heard of Lacy before JC wooped his ass......what did most US fans actually think of him after the Robin Reid fight going into the Joe Cal build up?
how can that be? especially if you're a joe cal fan as your avatar suggests. i'm quite certain that jeff lacy's name made it to the other side of the pond when he ko'd reid.

lacy's still only 30 or so years old. if the shoulder is given enough time to heal, he should physically be fine. mentally it could go either way.
2ironmt is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:08 PM   #41
LiamE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro chris
Exactly! Eubank wasn't peak but that shouldn't suggest he was shot. Too many people try to warp facts to suit their predjudices.
Also they conviently forget that Calzaghe was a complete novice when he won the title.
I have to agree.

Eubank was a long, long way from being shot. Those two more fights he had (although loses) were impressive. They were both against the same guy.. a guy that beat David Haye... and both fights were VERY competitive. He was stopped with a swollen eye whislt ahead on the cards in one and had Thompson on queer street in the other but as ever, post Watson, he would not go for the stoppage.
LiamE is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:18 PM   #42
BeeGee
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 922

manfredo had strep throat going into the fight. Both had a lackluster performance.
BeeGee is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:23 PM   #43
LiamE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxing Ace
JC is pinning his entire legacy so far on 3 fights - Eubank (fought only twice more at CRUISERWEIGHT before retiring), Lacy (last 2 performance were dreadful, although he was injured against Tsypko) and Kessler (by far the best fighter on his resume). JC desperately needs both Lacy and Kessler to come back strong and dominate or his wins over them will not look quite so good.
Utter bollocks.

That isnt even half of the world champs JC has beaten. Dont you think he might want to pin a little on the others?

The one and only reason JC wasnt undisputed champ a long time ago goes by the name of Sven Ottke. People saw him as an easier option, then got robbed. There was zero chance of Ottke fighting away from his hometown judges and refs and Joe would have to had been nuts to go there to be robbed himself.
LiamE is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:26 PM   #44
bronx
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
As a big Lacy fan, I think he's done. He couldn't let his hands go, he had NO snap, NO sharpness, and NO speed. He was lucky that Manfredo was reluctant to let his hands go, otherwise, he probably would have dropped a decision. Granted he was out for a year, but I don't see him being much of a threat anymore.

A good test for him would be Sakio Bika

Right on the money!!

Sakio Bika vs. Jeff Lacy would be a good test to see how much he has left.

I would not mind seeing him fight Jaidon Codrington either.
bronx is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:26 PM   #45
elTerrible
TeamElite General Manager
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

He looked horrible against Manfredo. Yes he won but he barely won and Manfredo didnt look in top form. The Lacy that KOed Reid would have easily taken out Manfredo in the early rounds. Lacy today looks very slow and stiff. He had a lot mentally taken out of him by Calzaghe and the shoulder injury as well.

I dont understand what was wrong in the Manfredo fight but he was not fluid at all. Lacy used to be a good boxer and move good, this was a guy who had 200 amature fights and was an olympic champion, you dont get there without boxing skills. He is a shell of what he used to be. I think it is more mental than physical, but if he cant pull it off anymore then he should retire.

I think its very sad the way his career turned. I get pissed off when people talk shit about him because he seems like a great guy as a person, very humble and down to earth. He is the kind of guy we want sports heros to be, not this ignorant gutter trash like a Zab Judah or ****** Sapp.
elTerrible is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum