Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #16
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885
Default Re: What did you think when you started sparring

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
I was anxious to get in there but worried I would suck. What I remember jumping out at me the first few times sparring was "Goddamn it's SO HARD TO LAND PUNCHES."
So true, sparring is so far from everything you do before then. The other thing I realised after sparring for the first time was how much more important shadowboxing was than I'd realised.

I used to get mixed feelings about sparring I never minded getting in with experienced lads but it was guys who I thought could punch hard and wanted a brawl who I would be concerned about. It didn't take long to realise that as long as you were ready to block the over hand right and the left hook they weren't much to worry about.

Never got nervous stepping into the ring that I can recall by that time theres no way out so you just have to get in there see whos the better boxer and be done with it. Same reason I don't get nervous in exams and when I'm sitting in a rollercoaster. Nothing I can do but see how it goes.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #17
I TuCKeR 93 I

vCash: 1176

I was very nervous, I enjoy the adrenaline rush now.
I TuCKeR 93 I is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #18
deadhead
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 550

Terrified, but excited.. The first time I sparred was against a guy way way better then me, He only threw the jab and he was impossible to get a hit off of (tall lanky dude). The second time I sparred I was even more scared because I knew this kid could hit hard, but the fear is part of the fun, knowing you overcame it is pretty rewarding.. I'm still a newbie by all means, it has been 5 months since I started and I still get nervous, when I spar new guys, but that just keeps you on your ball, I would rather be nervous then be to relaxed!
deadhead is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #19
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
Some things I thought: I'm shit at this. That hurts. Maybe this will work... Nope. I'm tired. Please don't hit me with another bodyshot. Surely the minute is up now?...

I remember trying to impress my original trainer who was offensive minded and, shortly after, left our gym after turning pro. He seemed to be proud only when I came out like this
Don't remember too many details, but the pain, learning, anxiousness and excitement has never stopped.
JDK is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #20
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

I remember somewhat questioning whether the sport was for me because I got my ass beat in sparring. Then again, I was also surprised that the bombs I ate didn't knock me down. It seems that as long I've been in a gym, there's always been someone better than me who didn't know how to hold back. So my confidence has been up and down, but my generally mechanical train of thought always brought me back knowing I couldn't do anything but improve if I kept at it.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #21
DeadlyOverhand
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

In my gym we did 5, 4 minutes rounds with five different guy and the first guy I sparred with was my coach. He went easy, I wasn't really nervous that time because he told me that sparring was so you can learn, not a fight to win....but then I sparred four other people that thought differently....I was the only 14 year old in there everyone else was 20 or older..
DeadlyOverhand is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #22
twinwonw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 400

I had my first sparring after 3 or 4 weeks in to the gym. I didn't do too well because i forgot about most of the things I learned, I didn't use my jab or cross, i just made haymakers and got punished for it. And ended up with busted lips. And it was like that for a while until I actually started to understand and keep my composure in the ring.

I'm now able to spar pretty well and I don't get totally killed against good amateur fighters in my gym.
twinwonw is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #23
greenboxer

-Doesnt matter how much cardio you do nothings simulates sparring.
-Body shots break you down
-Theres nothing more serious than two guys going at it.
-Its a sweet science that requires knowledge skill and guts
-This aint like hitting the heavy bag
greenboxer is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #24
Spooner21
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

found out how bad of shape i was really in, and how hard it was to land punches and combinations. got beat by guys who i had way more skill then and got pretty discouraged. sparred for the first time after being in the gym for only a week
Spooner21 is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #25
twinwonw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 400

I was nervous and excited for the first sparring session, I didn't do well because I pretty much forgot most of things i learned and my stamina was gone after 1st round, I was just making hay makers and just got countered with jab and straights. This was a continuing process for several sparring session in the beginning, but now I can finally spar with better control.
twinwonw is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #26
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post
So true, sparring is so far from everything you do before then. The other thing I realised after sparring for the first time was how much more important shadowboxing was than I'd realised.

I used to get mixed feelings about sparring I never minded getting in with experienced lads but it was guys who I thought could punch hard and wanted a brawl who I would be concerned about. It didn't take long to realise that as long as you were ready to block the over hand right and the left hook they weren't much to worry about.

Never got nervous stepping into the ring that I can recall by that time theres no way out so you just have to get in there see whos the better boxer and be done with it. Same reason I don't get nervous in exams and when I'm sitting in a rollercoaster. Nothing I can do but see how it goes.
That's a good attitude mate They say stress is worrying about something you can't control. You can only do what you can do, if you can't control something give it no mind.
dealt_with is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing