Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Martinez should move up and fight Ward.

I like Martinez and Ward. There is no way Martinez should take that fight. He is to small, and honestly even if they were the same size I think Ward would be bad for him. Martinez is a slick warrior, but Ward is just the total package. Guy can counter you, box you, take the fight to you and beat you up, etc.
He'd make more $ fighting Cotto, Canelo and possibly set up a fight with Floyd. Cotto doesn't look to great anymore, and Canelo is good all around but green and smaller than Martinez.
Primenal is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchild78 View Post
It's not that bad of a idea. Canelo really has not been tested yet, which is why Golden boy wasn't intrestead with him fighting Mayweather, Cotto has been in to many wars, folks will tune in, but chances are Martinez will beat him. Ward on the other hand has beat every good fighter at his weight and just took out the top LHW. He's young and he's a champion. Beating ward would be more impressive then beating Cotto or Canelo, and for obvious reasons. Moving up and beating a good bigger fighter at his own weight is always better then beating the little guy at his own weight. Unless the little guy is Mayweather.
If this is the case, you are making an argument that Mayweather is not the PFP #1 fighter if he cannot even beat everyone in his own weightclass which he is champion in.
ROACH is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
dbouziane
East Side Guru

beating cotto and/or canelo would inflate his pocket book as much as his popularity. sergio deserves to get paid.

im a fan ward, serg and the jmws. but i fail to see, becasue you didnt elaborate, how ward is more popular than cotto or canelo. the simple answer is he isnt.
dbouziane is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #19
Heavy Handed
I keep planets in orbit
ESB Senior Member

He should if he really wants to test himself against the best around his weight class. Winning the SMW title off of Ward would seal Sergio's place in history and elevate him to the pound for pound best in the business, probably getting fighter of the year as well.

Quite a high risk for Sergio. I don't think he'll take the chance though and just wait for Cotto or Canelo, which are much easier fights for him.
Heavy Handed is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
PR BOXING
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think IF he can secure the BIG payday with Canelo/Cotto/Floyd. Only then, after one or two of those fights, he may want to close his career by taking that unnecessary test vs Ward
PR BOXING is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #21
flashy k.o
Supporter of E.E fighters
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImElvis666 View Post
Why doesn't Ward move down like Dawson did?

this

Martinez now is a bigger draw than Ward , so why Ward don't step down in weight class and fight with Maravilla ?!

I think Martinez would be agree to fight Ward at a cw .
flashy k.o is online now  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #22
PrinceN
Champion
East Side Guru

Sergio is scared of Ward
PrinceN is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #23
flashy k.o
Supporter of E.E fighters
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceN View Post
Sergio is scared of Ward

PrinceN , u should debate this problem with jabber !
flashy k.o is online now  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #24
larryx2012
I AM BETTER THEN YOU
East Side Guru

vCash: 571251

Quote:
Cause he doesnt wanna move down like Dawson did
larryx2012 is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #25
Sunchild78
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABALLO View Post
U R Not serious, right?? plz do yourself a favor and tell everybody you were just trolling... Just a humble suggestion so you can save a li'l face...
Ward don't have as many fights under his belt as Martinez does, but his current status is better then Martinez. Martinez is at the head of the pack in his weight class, having one of the major titles.(WBC) Ward is at the top of his weight class, having two of the major titles.(WBC/WBA. Plus he still remains undefeated. I would say his status is better. Now that's not me saying he's a better fighter then Martinez, but status his current is better.
Sunchild78 is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #26
crazy8s
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Because moving down in weight is a terrible idea. Hopefully fighters will take note of Dawson's mistake, and not be so eager to come down in weight.
crazy8s is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #27
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Ward don't have as many fights under his belt as Martinez does, but his current status is better then Martinez. Martinez is at the head of the pack in his weight class, having one of the major titles.(WBC) Ward is at the top of his weight class, having two of the major titles.(WBC/WBA. Plus he still remains undefeated. I would say his status is better. Now that's not me saying he's a better fighter then Martinez, but status his current is better.
You're really using the amount of sanctioning body belts held as a measure of status?
purephase is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #28
Sunchild78
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROACH View Post
If this is the case, you are making an argument that Mayweather is not the PFP #1 fighter if he cannot even beat everyone in his own weightclass which he is champion in.
I'm not making an argument about Mayweather being anything. I'm trying to make a point, that Martinez fighting Ward and beating him will look so much better then him beating a warn down Cotto and a wet behind the ears Canelo. I don't think either of them could beat Martinez.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #29
Sunchild78
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase View Post
You're really using the amount of sanctioning body belts held as a measure of status?
Well yes, what are the purpose of the titles? To acknowledge who's the leader of the pack. It takes star power and skill, mainly star power to become bigger then the titles it self. Neither fighter has that star power yet. Fighters like Ali, Leonard, Tyson etc were able to do such a thing. Because there name alone was bigger then the title. Martinez and Ward have not hit that mark yet. Ward will not find that fighting Martinez because Martinez is the smaller man, but Martinez can find that beating Ward because he's the smaller and older man. It's a bigger challenge for Martinez to over come.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #30
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Well yes, what are the purpose of the titles? To acknowledge who's the leader of the pack. It takes star power and skill, mainly star power to become bigger then the titles it self. Neither fighter has that star power yet. Fighters like Ali, Leonard, Tyson etc were able to do such a thing. Because there name alone was bigger then the title. Martinez and Ward have not hit that mark yet.
Ward's about to be stripped, so does that mean he'll be back on equal footing with Martinez? Is Martinez's status worse than it was 2 years ago before he was stripped of the WBO belt? It is utterly silly to take those useless trinkets seriously when evaluating the actual quality of fighters.
purephase is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum