Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #31
Dorfmeister
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dei Gratie, Ergo Sum quod Sum
Posts: 6,271
vCash: 75
Default Re: Martinez should move up and fight Ward.

I have a feeling Andre is gonna be B'Nard last fight...
Dorfmeister is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #32
betabong
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 330
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Martinez should move up and fight Ward.

Martinez fighting Ward is way too risky. I agree with most, move down and clean house. It would be a shocker if he beats Ward but I think he knows, that's not gonna happen. I'd like to see him fight Golovkin but there's no money or popularity there.
betabong is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #33
DobyZhee
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,726
vCash: 928
Default Re: Martinez should move up and fight Ward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImElvis666 View Post
Why doesn't Ward move down like Dawson did?
DobyZhee is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #34
UnleashtheFURY
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,258
vCash: 75
Default Re: Martinez should move up and fight Ward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchild78 View Post
Chances are Floyd is not going to Fight Martinez no time soon or ever. Martinez is in a postion where he could move up or drop down to 154lb. He could fight Canelo, Cotto etc, but neither one of the those fights would elevate his popularity like a victory over Andre Ward. I'm sure Ward would fight him and Marinez adding the extra weight shouldn't hurt him. So why not go for it?
No Ward should go down and fight Sergio. Why does everybody have to go up or down to fight Ward? Ward is overrated, and his fans are idiots. there are much more fights for Sergio at MW and bellow..
UnleashtheFURY is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #35
Sunchild78
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,420
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Martinez should move up and fight Ward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase View Post
Ward's about to be stripped, so does that mean he'll be back on equal footing with Martinez? Is Martinez's status worse than it was 2 years ago before he was stripped of the WBO belt? It is utterly silly to take those useless trinkets seriously when evaluating the actual quality of fighters.
I didn't make the rules. If a fighter is stripped he isn't officially the champion anymore on paper. He's still the same quality fighter he was before he got stripped, but on paper his status goes down a notch. Only a fighter who's name is bigger then the title can and will be acknowledge as such, in the minds of boxing fans and occasional boxing fans alike. Neither Ward or Martinez has that status yet. If you was to ask the occasional boxing fan who either guy was, most of them couldn't tell you. Ask those same fans who Mayweather and Pacquiao are, and your see that most can tell you. So to answer your question, his status level will drop because officially he's no longer the champ.
Sunchild78 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #36
Sunchild78
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,420
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Martinez should move up and fight Ward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashtheFURY View Post
No Ward should go down and fight Sergio. Why does everybody have to go up or down to fight Ward? Ward is overrated, and his fans are idiots. there are much more fights for Sergio at MW and bellow..
Ward is smart, he's knows the risk of dropping in weight. Most fighters don't do well when they do.
Sunchild78 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #37
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 500
Default Re: Martinez should move up and fight Ward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchild78 View Post
What about the legacy. Boxing focus to much on the buisness aspect of things, which is why we have not seen Mayweather vs Pacquiao. Martinez don't have to many years left. Why not do something that will shock boxing fans? I have no doubt that he will beat Canelo or Cotto should he fight either guy. Sure he'll make money doing it, but beating them will not be as impressive as beating Ward would be. They could put Ward title on the line being that there fighting at his weight. Should Martinez loose, he could still keep his MW title and then defended against Canelo, Cotto etc.
Give martinez retirement money, he will fight ward, he started at 140 don't forget that, martinez is old he deserves the money, margarito, williams x2, pavlik, cintron, chavez jr. That's more than enough tough fights for anyone.
luke is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #38
str1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,324
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Martinez should move up and fight Ward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchild78 View Post
What about the legacy. Boxing focus to much on the buisness aspect of things, which is why we have not seen Mayweather vs Pacquiao. Martinez don't have to many years left. Why not do something that will shock boxing fans? I have no doubt that he will beat Canelo or Cotto should he fight either guy. Sure he'll make money doing it, but beating them will not be as impressive as beating Ward would be. They could put Ward title on the line being that there fighting at his weight. Should Martinez loose, he could still keep his MW title and then defended against Canelo, Cotto etc.

Well what about the legacy for Ward? Why didn't he move up then? Same thing could apply to Ward. He could of met Dawson at a catchweight or at LHW for Dawson's belt and if Ward would of lost, well atleast he had his SMW belts but if he would of won he would have had the SMW and LHW. Or we can turn it around and say that Ward can move down to MW and do the same thing with Martinez, at a catchweight or the full MW. According to you its a win-win because if Ward loses he still keeps the SMW but if he wins he will have the SMW and MW and later move on to bigger and better things for his legacy.
str1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #39
str1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,324
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Martinez should move up and fight Ward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchild78 View Post
Ward is smart, he's knows the risk of dropping in weight. Most fighters don't do well when they do.

And you think Martinez is dumb? He knows where is his limit and its at MW. Same thing for Ward, he knows his limits and the lowest Ward can go is 168lbs.
str1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #40
Sunchild78
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,420
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Martinez should move up and fight Ward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by str1 View Post
Well what about the legacy for Ward? Why didn't he move up then? Same thing could apply to Ward. He could of met Dawson at a catchweight or at LHW for Dawson's belt and if Ward would of lost, well atleast he had his SMW belts but if he would of won he would have had the SMW and LHW. Or we can turn it around and say that Ward can move down to MW and do the same thing with Martinez, at a catchweight or the full MW. According to you its a win-win because if Ward loses he still keeps the SMW but if he wins he will have the SMW and MW and later move on to bigger and better things for his legacy.
Ward is a lot younger then Martinez, I'm sure there will be someone around for Ward when he reach 37yrs old, that he could solidify his career with. If he was to beat Martinez by dropping down in weight, it wouldn't probably do as much for him as it would do for Martinez if he was to beat Ward at his own weight. I see Ward moving up in the future because he still have years left to do so. If Dawson is still on top, then we could see a rematch between the two, but on Dawson turf.
Sunchild78 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #41
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 19,936
vCash: 622
Default Re: Martinez should move up and fight Ward.

There is way too much natural size difference for this to make sense.
booradley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #42
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 14,931
vCash: 650
Default Re: Martinez should move up and fight Ward.

No.

Just like how Mayweather and Pacquiao should not be expected to fight MW's, Martinez in no way is expected to or probably should fight a SMW.

If he did, major big props. But he's a MW, and has claimed to be a "true" JMW, despite not fighting there in 3 years, so........ not gonna happen.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #43
arve lie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,807
vCash: 500
Default Re: Martinez should move up and fight Ward.

Martinez should fight Golovkin
arve lie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #44
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,337
vCash: 816
Default Re: Martinez should move up and fight Ward.

Martinez is surprising a ton by fighting at middleweight. Let Ward move up and take on bigger tasks instead of draining them
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:47 AM   #45
Jabber
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Martinez should move up and fight Ward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchild78 View Post
Chances are Floyd is not going to Fight Martinez no time soon or ever. Martinez is in a postion where he could move up or drop down to 154lb. He could fight Canelo, Cotto etc, but neither one of the those fights would elevate his popularity like a victory over Andre Ward. I'm sure Ward would fight him and Marinez adding the extra weight shouldn't hurt him. So why not go for it?
why,so Warddke could have the advantage again?Martinez is a small mw,why isn't Warddke moving down for this fight?
 Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013