Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Devon Alexander

Just talking about him in another thread, has got me thinking, the man has a top class resume, he has been in with some top class opposition and is a very good fighter. Assuming he beats Bailey, the number 5 in the world, Alexander is at number 4, below only Guerrero, Pacquiao and Bradley.

He has only "lost" one fight, to the serial headbutter (but very good none the less) Bradley on a TD.

If Kell wins and Devon wins, Kell is the mandatory for the IBF, so that would be the fight that happens.

As good as Kell is, I just don't think Brook wins that fight against Alexander, whether it be here or there. I think he'd run it closer here, but I can't see him winning.

Bailey is another story though, but I think Alexander wipes the floor with him tomorrow.
craney91 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
madpuppy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Devon Alexander

He did get an absolute gift against Kotelnik, that turned a lot of fans off him
madpuppy is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Every fighter has one of night bud, many great fighters have had at least one gift.

Although in the case of Pacquiao, that is just an exception with Marquez. What does Marquez have to do?
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Not for me, He's gone from vastly overrated to underrated and then back again.

Urango was showing signs of wear and tear against Bailey, Alexander done really well to beat him but i remember people saying he'd beat Bradley. Bradley went in at 70% and beat him without to much fuss IMHO. Oh and that's after Alexander got a gift against Kotelnik.

Matthysse beat him up, he then fights the lesser Argentine in Maidana who's good but not that good and performs well now all of a sudden he's brilliant again. Maidana was in trouble with Soto Karass.

Devon is a world class fighter but look at how he struggled with Kotelnik, and Matthysse and Bradley. All different styles and no answers, Maidana he boxed well apprantly (haven't seen it) but he'd of had to transform massively to change my views on him.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
JamieC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

i really rated him but after staying up to watch him ***** out and quit against bradley and then get another gift against matthysse after a gift against kotelnik i went off him a bit, but then hes started to win me back round with how he took maidana apart, decent fighter, but if bailey lands, which he probably will do, how will he take it?
JamieC is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
JamieC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
Every fighter has one of night bud, many great fighters have had at least one gift.

Although in the case of Pacquiao, that is just an exception with Marquez. What does Marquez have to do?
im going to say something upopular here, but i think theres only been one robbery in their trilogy so far, the first fight should have been scored to manny, both in my eyes and that of the judges (technicality cost him) very very close but he edged it on my card, second fight i think i had a draw or JMM by 1, again close fight no robbery, third fight was a robbery. JMM may have his number but the knockdowns cost him in first two imo
JamieC is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
KidJackal
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Not for me, He's gone from vastly overrated to underrated and then back again.

Urango was showing signs of wear and tear against Bailey, Alexander done really well to beat him but i remember people saying he'd beat Bradley. Bradley went in at 70% and beat him without to much fuss IMHO. Oh and that's after Alexander got a gift against Kotelnik.

Matthysse beat him up, he then fights the lesser Argentine in Maidana who's good but not that good and performs well now all of a sudden he's brilliant again. Maidana was in trouble with Soto Karass.

Devon is a world class fighter but look at how he struggled with Kotelnik, and Matthysse and Bradley. All different styles and no answers, Maidana he boxed well apprantly (haven't seen it) but he'd of had to transform massively to change my views on him.
Spot on

Who would you favour between Kell and him?
KidJackal is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJackal View Post
Spot on

I haven't thought to much about it but i do favor Kell, I think Devon is a flattrack bully. I think Kell would have success and land the more quality work.

Hard ask in a first attempt at a world title but i don't see why Kell can't win it. Alexander's only looked good against one dimensional fighters. He didn't impress me against Witter at all..

Then again people can say same about Kell, But i think Kell's more skilled then Devon offensively.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
GrizzyBeard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
i really rated him but after staying up to watch him ***** out and quit against bradley and then get another gift against matthysse after a gift against kotelnik i went off him a bit, but then hes started to win me back round with how he took maidana apart, decent fighter, but if bailey lands, which he probably will do, how will he take it?
I don't think Bailey will land. Bailey is unbelievably shot, he looked like a walking corpse against Mike Jones. He has massive power no doubt, but that is all he has.
GrizzyBeard is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
im going to say something upopular here, but i think theres only been one robbery in their trilogy so far, the first fight should have been scored to manny, both in my eyes and that of the judges (technicality cost him) very very close but he edged it on my card, second fight i think i had a draw or JMM by 1, again close fight no robbery, third fight was a robbery. JMM may have his number but the knockdowns cost him in first two imo
Many people think that Manny has never beat Marquez, and many people think the same way as you.

Who did you have Pacquiao vs. Bradley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJackal View Post
Spot on

I agree also with SPB, but some fighters are mercurial, up and down, when their down they look awful, when their up they can look like world beaters a bit like Adel Taarabt at QPR or Mario Ballotelli at Man City, when they're up for it, they look class, when they're not, they look like sunday league.

Anyway, I digress.

What we can't argue with is that Alexander HAS been in there with those fighters and they are of a superior class to those that Kell has faced so far. That's no indication necessarily of who would win, but it's fair to say Alexander is more experienced at that level, and is no push over.

If Kell is absolutely A-Grade in that fight then I accept he COULD do it. But I don't think Devon will turn up to be a pushover in this one with the belt around him. I think he could hand the first defeat to Kell in a close-ish fight. No disappointment for Kell, its a learning process all the same.....and then knowing Alexander he'll get a fight of the back of the win, with a top 3 or Mayweather, and get utterly exposed and found out.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
CamR21
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 736

Not a great fighter and one Kell would certainly beat, IMO he has lost 3 of his last four fights
CamR21 is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
I haven't thought to much about it but i do favor Kell, I think Devon is a flattrack bully. I think Kell would have success and land the more quality work.

Hard ask in a first attempt at a world title but i don't see why Kell can't win it. Alexander's only looked good against one dimensional fighters. He didn't impress me against Witter at all..

Then again people can say same about Kell, But i think Kell's more skilled then Devon offensively.
More skilled inside AND outside?

I think Devon can do both if necessary, whereas Kell on the inside needs to improve. He is all about walking his opponent down on a jab. Carson Jones closed the distance and took it to Kell like never before, nobody expected that of Jones before did they? I think Devon can do better than Carson Jones.

I think those that have doubt over Devon, will either be proved correct or or stand corrected come tomorrow night.

Like somebody else said, I thought Bailey looked average against Jones, apart from the finish. I think his position in the rankings lies myself, his power and power alone has got him in that position. I mean he's 38 n' all and looked disinterested all fight until he landed on glass.

If he faces somebody a bit smarter who doesn't go in chin out and get involved in a scrap, he will get exposed and look average.

Devon whoops Bailey and you lot have second thoughts come Monday morning. It's a tough fight for Kell.

Maidana was good against Khan, the man has revolutionized himself again, he looked top class last fight.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
miguel2010
His hands are his weapons
ESB Addict

vCash: 756

i think Devon is decent, Ill be honest not seen his last couple of bouts, Ill have a look on soso at some point later tday.

But I think its a fight Kell could win and should win, if Kell steps up as he goes up, if he doesnt then he may well get found out at the elite level.

I also think Manny edged the 1st with the KDs crowd swinging judges etc, Juan by 2 rounds I think I had it in the 2nd and Im sure I had Juan by 4 rounds in the 3rd.
miguel2010 is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #14
miguel2010
His hands are his weapons
ESB Addict

vCash: 756

craney, is that chick in your avatar the one off Hollyoaks a few year back? Gemma summat?
miguel2010 is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
ImElvis666
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 227381

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamR21 View Post
Not a great fighter and one Kell would certainly beat, IMO he has lost 3 of his last four fights
What are you basing that on? I've yet to see anything sensational out of Brook. He stepped up the competition in his last fight and he very nearly lost.

Alexander has lost to Kotelnik, Bradley and Mathysee. All proven world class fighters. Yeah, he's not as good as I thought he was going to be when I saw him beat Witter and Urango at the tender age of 22 but he's a force to be reckoned with. Maidana is a very good win for him.

What do we really know about Brook?
ImElvis666 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum