Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-31-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Which destruction was the most awe-inspiring?

Most ATGs have at least one fight in which they look absolutely invincible. Which of one these do you the find the most awe-inspiring/impressive, or do you have another that you think is the top one?

Dempsey vs Willard
Louis vs Schmeling II
Liston vs Patterson
Ali vs C. Williams
Foreman vs Frazier
Hearns vs Duran
Tyson vs M. Spinks
Bokaj is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Which destruction was the most awe-inspiring?

Hearns vs Cuevas.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
sthomas
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Foreman vs. Frazier. Joe was pretty darn good. IMO bunch the best of the KTFO victims, and undefeated. Hearns Vs. Durans a close second
sthomas is online now  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

All of the fights mentioned here are great destructions , somr in different ways than others , but beause the thread is asking which is the most awe-inspiring , personally i would have to pick a Duran one. Either Moore , or when he got going against Cuevas , just opinion though
teeto is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

The most impressive destruction fight I have, or one of the best is 1927, Walker vs Tommy Milligan. Walker own Milligan, dropping Tommy a number of times, and after the ko in the tent round, the Ref would yell, "If there is a doctor in the house, will he please step in now."

Walker destory Milligan imo. He look and was close to being unbeating that night.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
The most impressive destruction fight I have, or one of the best is 1927, Walker vs Tommy Milligan. Walker own Milligan, dropping Tommy a number of times, and after the ko in the tent round, the Ref would yell, "If there is a doctor in the house, will he please step in now."

Walker destory Milligan imo. He look and was close to being unbeating that night.
Thats a great dstruction , Walker's ombos in close look really sharp and powerful , like you said , one of the most impressive . But would you say the most awe-inspiring though ? I have to pick Tyson Duran for that , just opinion though
teeto is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Well the thing with Tyson, was he never relly destory any one, He hit them with a flash combo, and there out in a round or 2. There was no Dempsey Willard or Walker Milliagan type of beat downs. The guy mostly was ok after the ten count. I sure Tyson's fear play a lot into that. Duran is of couse other story. Moore and his wars with Dejesus is legend of couse.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Well the thing with Tyson, was he never relly destory any one, He hit them with a flash combo, and there out in a round or 2. There was no Dempsey Willard or Walker Milliagan type of beat downs. The guy mostly was ok after the ten count. I sure Tyson's fear play a lot into that. Duran is of couse other story. Moore and his wars with Dejesus is legend of couse.
Your right there on that Tyson point , he was awe-inspiring imo , but the closest to a destruction by Tyson was probably the Thomas fight . Never thought of the question like that
teeto is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
It's true Tyson never demolished someone like Dempsey demolished Willard for example, probably at least to some extent because refs stopped fights a lot quicker when Tyson was in active.

But anyway, what I was getting at was to a large degree how invincible the perfomance made the fighter look, and when Tysom absolutely steamrolled Spinks (who was viewed as a top-class fighter) he certainly did look invincible. And when you look at Ali vs Williams you ask yourself how anyone could possible deal with the combination of speed, skill and power that Ali displayed during that fight. Similary for Hearns vs Duran you get the feeling that someone who annihilates Duran in that manner would beat just about anyone.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 01:17 PM   #10
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj
It's true Tyson never demolished someone like Dempsey demolished Willard for example, probably at least to some extent because refs stopped fights a lot quicker when Tyson was in active.

But anyway, what I was getting at was to a large degree how invincible the perfomance made the fighter look, and when Tysom absolutely steamrolled Spinks (who was viewed as a top-class fighter) he certainly did look invincible. And when you look at Ali vs Williams you ask yourself how anyone could possible deal with the combination of speed, skill and power that Ali displayed during that fight. Similary for Hearns vs Duran you get the feeling that someone who annihilates Duran in that manner would beat just about anyone.
Well I dont blame it if the ref stop it or not. Most cases they got the ten count. Spinks got a full ten count. He didnt get up 7 or so times like Willard did(I pretty sure the ref would have stop it of couse, before that happen)

But even in 1919, I pretty sure Spinks and MOST of Tyson's foes would have takeing the ten count on the first or 2nd knockdown.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:18 PM   #11
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Oh yeah and Williams was shot. Any ATG heavyweight would have look GREAT vs that Williams imo.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:22 PM   #12
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Foreman-Frazier.

It's a question of how great the beaten party was. Frazier was the undefeated conquerer of Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali.
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:01 PM   #13
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

They are all awesome. If I had to take three out it would be: Liston-Patterson, Ali-Williams, and Tyson-Spinks. Were they great performances? Of course they were! But this is formidable list and it is hard to eliminate any one of these fights.

1. Liston was a heavy favorite to beat Patterson. It was even said that Cus D'Amato tried to avoid this fight alltogether.

2. Spinks was a blown up lightheavyweight with a 16" neck. Tyson was not an over the hill Holmes or a zombie hopped up on Percodan like Gerry Cooney. He was approaching his legendary prime. Tyson was favored in the fight. Spinks' second win over Holmes was disputed by those who watched it.

3. Ali-Williams: The "Big Cat" was washed up with many slugs lodged in his body from being shot. It was still sensational by Ali but Williams really had very little to offer anymore. His style was tailor made for Ali.

4. Duran did not take Hearns seriously as incredible as that may sound now. He was partying like crazy and said in the NY Post before the fight that: It will be like a man (Duran) with a boy (Hearns) in there. Duran had to drop massive amounts of weight and did not give himself the best chance to win based upon his lack of preparation. He was also a veteran of 17 years in the fight game and was turning 33 about theday of this fight. That was considered to be old for a non-heavyweight fighter back then.

So I would choose Dempsey, Louis and Foreman.

Dempsey was a heavy underdog and some thought Big Jess might even really kill him. Turns out the fight should have been stopped after the first round in Dempsey's favor.

Louis had already lost to Schmelling by knockout two years before. He reversed it with an emphatic first round destruction of his german rival.

Frazier had an air of invincibility before that first Foreman fight. My uncle was in a bowling alley and no one was paying attention cause' they thought it would be an easy fight for 'Smokin' Joe. When Cosell started becoming hysterical and yelling "Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!" people's jaws were dropping. This is the man who had beaten the greatest himself getting pulverized.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:39 PM   #14
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 483

Chavez/Rosario was awesome. Scary as well, when you think Edwin's Misses made El Chapo's young son watch the entire fight....

I always liked Hagler/Lee. The Marvelous one near his barbaric best, showing his Caveman instincts.

#1 though IMO would be Hearns/Duran; although Duran himself with the Lampkin fight is up there.

Last edited by pit; 01-21-2007 at 12:13 PM.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:57 PM   #15
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 666

Hopkins/Trinidad: People forget that Felix was a 3-1 favorite in this fight, and was coming of his own sensational decimation of William Joppy (the second best middleweight at the time. And, he did fight pretty well against Hopkins. It's just that B-Hop was in the type of zone that very few fighters ever seem to enter at any point in their careers. That version of Hopkins gives any middleweight in history absolute hell, and beats the vast majority of them...no questions asked.
Drew101 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum