seldomseenslim
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Corrie Sanders fighting Feb. 2, Sat., in South Africa

Sanders digs at Osborne
Bongani Magasela / Sowetan.co.za
Jan. 28, 2008
Corrie Sanders wants an early night against Osborne Machimana when they collide in their 10 rounder in the heavyweight division at Emperors Palace on February 2.
Their fight will form part of Golden Gloves Promotions (GGP’s) “Fire and Brimstone” extravaganza that will be bankrolled by Gree Air Conditioners.
GGP publicist Terry Pettifer said the two fighters had a heavy verbal sparring during their meeting at Emperors Palace on Wednesday.
“I’m offended that I have to lower my standards and fight a South African fighter when my thoughts are focused on a return match with one of the Klitschko brothers,” growled Sanders, the former WBU and WBO champion.
“Don’t be late for the fight because this will be an early night, especially because I’ve got a game of golf planned for the following day. Machimana doesn’t belong in the same ring with me and I plan to knock him out within the first five rounds.”
Pettifer said the normally lackadaisical Machimana, who holds the local belt, warned the 42-year-old Sanders that his time as a fighter was up.
“Corrie was a great fighter but his time has passed.”
Machimana’s mentor Nick Durandt is understood to have warned Sanders through his manager Takis Christodolou to: “Tell Corrie that instead of playing a game of golf the morning after the fight, he may have to resort to being a caddy”.
But Christodolous responded by warning Durandt that he would not be able to help Machimana, 27, once the bell rang.
GGP boss Rodney Berman said he would not be surprised if both men took turns on the canvas.
seldomseenslim is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
seldomseenslim
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Corrie Sanders fighting Feb. 2, Sat., in South Africa

He wants a return match with the K brothers!
Old 01-31-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru

I don't think there is any point in seeing either K Bro fight the 42 year old, inactive, and probably still condition-lacking, Sanders. Waste of time. His expirattion date has long since passed on his rematch appeal with Wlad, and we all know Vitali would beat him like a rented mule, again.
Heavyrighthand is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
seldomseenslim
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

His expirattion date has long since passed on his rematch appeal with Wlad...

Five years. Time flies.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
I’m offended that I have to lower my standards and fight a South African fighter when my thoughts are focused on a return match with one of the Klitschko brothers,” growled Sanders, the former WBU and WBO champion.

“Don’t be late for the fight because this will be an early night, especially because I’ve got a game of golf planned for the following day. Machimana doesn’t belong in the same ring with me and I plan to knock him out within the first five rounds.”

Pettifer said the normally lackadaisical Machimana, who holds the local belt, warned the 42-year-old Sanders that his time as a fighter was up.
“Corrie was a great fighter but his time has passed.”
Machimana’s mentor Nick Durandt is understood to have warned Sanders through his manager Takis Christodolou to: “Tell Corrie that instead of playing a game of golf the morning after the fight, he may have to resort to being a caddy”.
There is some bad blood here. I don't remember Sanders ever sounding of angry. He used to be a nice guy who would never bad mouth a South African fighter. It seems like Sanders has some fire in him now, which was his main problem 10 years ago when he was in his prime. Ironic.

I don't know how much Sanders has left or what type of shape he's in, but I will say this. I do beleive if he wins this fight, he has a chance to beat a top ten guy, and like Maskeav can win a belt at an older age. Such can be the case for older guys who can still punch.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
Bodysnatcher
Champion
East Side Guru

edit

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 02-18-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Bodysnatcher is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
seldomseenslim
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Corrie could have been the best of them all, but he couldn't get the big fights in his heyday because:

1. He lived in S.A. and didn't want to relocate like Botha (who he beat 4 times in the amateurs)

2. None of the big names wanted to fight him, for obvious reasons - and if you don't know those reasons, just look up Corrie Sanders KO's on Youtube!

3. He didn't give a shit. He didn't even bother to get in shape for the biggest fight of his life, vs. Vitali. Wlad had the misfortune to run into him one of the very few times in his life that he bothered to get into top condition.

He's not being nice to his opponent in this fight, the South African black heavyweight champ, because he has been disrespectful to him, emulating the US black ghetto fighters, I suppose, saying he's going to hurt him and beat him and bla bla bla.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:09 PM   #8
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseenslim
Corrie could have been the best of them all, but he couldn't get the big fights in his heyday because:

1. He lived in S.A. and didn't want to relocate like Botha (who he beat 4 times in the amateurs)

2. None of the big names wanted to fight him, for obvious reasons - and if you don't know those reasons, just look up Corrie Sanders KO's on Youtube!

3. He didn't give a shit. He didn't even bother to get in shape for the biggest fight of his life, vs. Vitali. Wlad had the misfortune to run into him one of the very few times in his life tthat he bothered to get into top condition.

He's not being nice to his opponent in this fight, the South African black heavyweight champ, because he has been disrespectful to him, emulating the US black ghetto fighters, I suppose, saying he's going to hurt him and beat him and bla bla bla.
As a fan who read and saw every big match in the 1990's, I can tell you that both Tyson and Lewis camps used Corrie Sanders name in the press to hype upr non-mandatory fights, but neither selected him.

I am not saying that Tyson or Lewis ducked Sanders, but I am saying their managers knew the risk of picking Sanders would greatly outweigh the reward of beating him. Sanders in the 1990’s had more upset ability in him than Douglas, McCall, or Rhaman. His speed, agression, power, south paw stance, and skill made him extremely dangerous for anyone.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:15 PM   #9
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Sanders had the handspeed, chin, size, punch, strength to be a very good, if not great fighter. You gotta get out there and do the roadwork. He was beating Rahman and ran out of gas. Gerrie Coetzee was like that. He was beating the heck out of Pinklon Thomas and Renaldo Snipes early and faded late. Sufering a draw with Thomas and getting robbed against Snipes.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
seldomseenslim
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Yup, nobody was exactly falling all over themselves to beat a path to his door to fight him. I expect he'll take care of business Saturday nice and quick just as he says. Hopefully he'll show up without a beer belly.

Don't suppose anybody knows where this fight might be available to watch on the internet in the US...probably no place.

:(
Old 01-31-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
seldomseenslim
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardu
Sanders had the handspeed, chin, size, punch, strength to be a very good, if not great fighter. You gotta get out there and do the roadwork. He was beating Rahman and ran out of gas. Gerrie Coetzee was like that. He was beating the heck out of Pinklon Thomas and Renaldo Snipes early and faded late. Sufering a draw with Thomas and getting robbed against Snipes.

Supposedly Corrie wasn't able to do any roadwork for the Rahman fight due to an injured ankle. Well, that was his excuse for not getting in shape for that fight, anyway. Still he was knocking Rahman around like a rag doll in the early rounds, before he ran out of gas.

Nobody seems to know where Gerrie Coetzee is nowadays, including the South African boxing community.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:25 PM   #12
seldomseenslim
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Sanders had the handspeed, chin, size, punch, strength...

Fastest hands and punching speed in the business. A cast iron chin - he showed that against Vitali...
Old 01-31-2008, 03:26 PM   #13
Curtis Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Sanders was not very highly thought of until the Wlad K fight. Sure he ran up a long undefeated streak when he first turned pro, but his one punch KO loss to Nate Tubbs pretty much made his name mud for a long time. After a win streak he gets to fight Rahman on HBO. Rahman at this time, is trying to rebuild his once promising career after his crushing loss to Oleg M (their first fight). Sanders almost beat Rahman, had him down early, then, as usual, runs out of gas. At this time nobody really thinks much of Sanders, since he has been KOed twice. Time goes by, multiple fighters turn down a fight vs Wlad in Germany (rumor is up to 10 American heavyweights turn down the fight). Klit management settles on Sanders and the rest is history. I don't think anybody really ducked Sanders, hell nobody thought enough of him to duck him until the Wlad fight.
Curtis Lowe is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 04:20 PM   #14
TRUEBELIEVER 66
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseenslim
Sanders had the handspeed, chin, size, punch, strength...

Fastest hands and punching speed in the business. A cast iron chin - he showed that against Vitali...
He was KO'D by Nate Tubbs and Rahman i wouldn't say he had a cast iron chin he had all the above but the 1 thing he seriously lacked was conditioning-stamina, he should have done more roadwork, he looked soft around the middle and even had a beer belly in the Vitaly fight, you have to be able to fight hard for 12 rounds not 4 or 5, if Sanders had proper conditioning he would have had a way more productive career..
Why is he still fighting at 42? is he broke? i heard he was a very good golfer, he should stick to that at 42 fighting can't be very good for his long term health..
TRUEBELIEVER 66 is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
FROST
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Somehow I like Sanders, and although I know it's totally unrealistic I hope he'll be huffing and puffing and knocking his way to another title-shot hehe...
FROST is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum