teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopkins sheds light on Calzaghe comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostya Zoo
no, I meant what BigReg said is how racist people justify their racism. It's an "everybody does it" mentality. No, not everybody does it. People who do it are ignorant and probably not true fans.
Oh , that is what i meant aswell ! Sorry , didnt explain that too good
teeto is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2008, 02:04 PM   #17
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostya Zoo
no, I meant what BigReg said is how racist people justify their racism. It's an "everybody does it" mentality. No, not everybody does it. People who do it are ignorant and probably not true fans.
I'm not disputing what you're saying. I'm not trying to state how things should be, I'm going by how things are.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:11 PM   #18
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Hopkins was just trying to promote a fight, that might not be that popular since your casual American boxing fan barely knows who Calzaghe even is. I'm pretty sure Calzaghe could care less what racial slurs Hopkins makes, at the end of the day thats just more money in his bank account.

Race has always played a big part in boxing, it gives the average guy a reason to watch boxing.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:14 PM   #19
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAdams
Why make a divide on people because of the colour of their skin, its boxing for **** sake!!!! B-hop.... used to worship you dude now your just a ****in loser!!!
Exactly: selling fights by turning it into a war between races is wrong.
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:16 PM   #20
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAdams
They are not true boxing fans in my eyes then!!!

Read what Bernard said in the interview. Actually, I said it on this forum too, right after the comments in question, in response to some politically correct fool who was ranting on about Bernard being a racist.

The comments were HYPE, pure and simple, meant to pump up a fight and get people talking. Obviously, it worked. Ali did it all the time. Ali-haters (and their number is legion) complain that he too was racist or insensitive . He sold the fight game to non-fans and casual fans. Controversy sells.

As another poster has mentioned, we ALL tend to lean towards someone in our own group, be that ethnicity, nationality, or region.

I might say: A Derry man won't lose to a Kerry man. And if there was nothing else to distinguish them, and I didn't know either one, I would cheer for my own. That said, I would hope that the comment would be taken in the spirit intended. And I am indeed, a fan of far more American boxers , even though I'm not American, than any other nationality, mainly because that's where most of the best are.

Regarding the fight itself, it needs all the hype that Bernard can generate because in and of itself, it's a bit lame. This will be a very one-sided beatdown by the best or second best boxer currently fighting, over a once-great champion who has stayed on a little too long.

I would pick Joe even if they were both prime, but at this stage, I would regard a Hopkins win as a near miracle.
cuchulain is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #21
untmike
ABN
ESB Senior Member

Thats how its always gonna be. I remember when taylor faught pavlik alot of ppl i knew (white guys) rooted for pavlik. They dont even kno about the sport of the person pavlik is they jus based their prediction solely on the color of his skin because they felt comfortable doin so. Thats jus human nature to pick sides with the person you feel most comfortable with. Its different as a boxing fan because you know about the people and their boxing abilities, you dont base it off of skin color, but to the everyday person who doesnt watch boxing alot they are goin to side with the person of their color. Thats all hopkins was doin is hyping the fight the the public who doesnt watch boxing all that much. He was jus simply bringing more fans to boxing by having more white go for calzaghe and blacks for him. To the real boxing fans, the comment he made shouldnt effect us one bit, its just hype. Im sure the two of them wont hold any type of grudge after the fight and will be working with eachother in the future
untmike is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:21 PM   #22
untmike
ABN
ESB Senior Member

sure it may be wrong to hype up a fight by bringing up the race card, but how else are they going to do it. Thats the only way that is sure to work. Race is just such a big issue in the world.
untmike is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:21 PM   #23
David_TheMan
ESB Sage
ESB Addict

I had no idea there were so many simple minded people on this site. He said what he said to generate casual interest in the fight and to get tickets sold. This helps both him and Joe C.

Is it racist, no, but is he using race generate hype or excitement? Yes. What he is doing is no different from the US vs. UK crap they Hatton v. Mayweather fed off of. Yet I see none of you calling Mayweather a xenophobe or both nationalist.

This all boils down to people hating Hopkins and trying to take something and blow it out of proportion to justify their hate.

Any person with a reasonable amount of common sense sees this is a money play.
David_TheMan is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:24 PM   #24
untmike
ABN
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_TheGreat
I had no idea there were so many simple minded people on this site. He said what he said to generate casual interest in the fight and to get tickets sold. This helps both him and Joe C.

Is it racist, no, but is he using race generate hype or excitement? Yes. What he is doing is no different from the US vs. UK crap they Hatton v. Mayweather fed off of. Yet I see none of you calling Mayweather a xenophobe or both nationalist.

This all boils down to people hating Hopkins and trying to take something and blow it out of proportion to justify their hate.

Any person with a reasonable amount of common sense sees this is a money play.
Thank you
untmike is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:24 PM   #25
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by untmike
sure it may be wrong to hype up a fight by bringing up the race card, but how else are they going to do it. Thats the only way that is sure to work. Race is just such a big issue in the world.
It's wrong and irresponsible particularly in light of the way boxing is perceived by the mainstream - a sport for hooligans - and particularly in the light of America still having huge race problems. This ex-thug is hypocritical: he goes into poor neighbourhoods and tells young kids how to be better and not fall into crime...and then he makes it into the war of the races...what will these young people take away? Stay away from crime and get an education, or: it's dog eat dog; it's OK to hate whites?
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:29 PM   #26
KayEpps
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 356

I can't believe we're still talking about this - like B-Hop created racism.

I know many Blacks that think Calzaghe will win - while I also know Whites that think B-Hop will win.

The only thing that should be divided by his comment is the heads of those that think he really meant some harm by making the comment. It's PROMOTION you BITCHES!!!

(statement only aimed that those hurt by B-Hop's comment)
KayEpps is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:31 PM   #27
David_TheMan
ESB Sage
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal
It's wrong and irresponsible particularly in light of the way boxing is perceived by the mainstream - a sport for hooligans - and particularly in the light of America still having huge race problems. This ex-thug is hypocritical: he goes into poor neighbourhoods and tells young kids how to be better and not fall into crime...and then he makes it into the war of the races...what will these young people take away? Stay away from crime and get an education, or: it's dog eat dog; it's OK to hate whites?
What in the hell are you talking about? Where I'm at boxing isn't perceived at all in the mainstream and that is the problem. Like the old addage says "There no such thing as bad publicity", boxing needs something that makes it pop to appeal to the general public, whether thats Mexico vs. Puerto Rican, Black vs. White, Mexican vs. Phillipines, or Black vs. Mexican, hell through in American vs. European as well. Anything that can generate interest for the fading sport of boxing is a good thing.

As for the USA having racial problems, reality check, there is a black man running against a white WOMAN for the democractic nominee for President of the nation, sure there are problem, but it sure as hell isn't 1964.

As for being a bad role model, only a idiot would fix his mouth to say such a thing. Him being in his position is makes him a positive role model to every kid in the hood, that they can make it without slinging drugs or robbing and killing.
David_TheMan is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:34 PM   #28
albeziel
Multi Viral C13
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 453

This is all hype people, and it's so effective that we already have 3 pages on this thread. Let's all hope it will be a good fight.
albeziel is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:51 PM   #29
rast

people saying about its no different then uk v us hatton v mayweather, what u gotta understand is that the race issuse is still very much a daily problem dont get me wrong nothing like 25+ years ago but memories are still very much there. we all know hopkins isn't a raving rascit and that MAYBE he said this for promotional use i just think he's setting a bad example, it's cool to be rasict if you getting money. it gives rasicts a quote to stir things up and they use anything! what about if joe would've said something along the same lines would there be this much uproar, ****ing hell yeah! hopkins is a smart man, well i thought so, theres no need to sell a fight like this and your soul too boot. joe spank this YANK
rast is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:54 PM   #30
TFFP

vCash:

The people defending him are as pathetic as Hopkins himself.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum