Old 01-31-2008, 02:55 PM   #31
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Hopkins sheds light on Calzaghe comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
The people defending him are as pathetic as Hopkins himself.
Neither are as pathetic as you.
BigReg is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2008, 02:58 PM   #32
David_TheMan
ESB Sage
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rast
we all know hopkins isn't a raving rascit and that MAYBE he said this for promotional use i just think he's setting a bad example, it's cool to be rasict if you getting money. it gives rasicts a quote to stir things up and they use anything! what about if joe would've said something along the same lines would there be this much uproar, ****ing hell yeah! hopkins is a smart man, well i thought so, theres no need to sell a fight like this and your soul too boot. joe spank this YANK
It is cool to make racist jokes, hell look at all the big name comedians who are black, I am black myself, and tell me they do not devote a great deal of their stand up making jokes about white people.

Is it a double standard, hell yeah, but so what, that is the why the world works and its a easy way to get money and interest in a fight.
David_TheMan is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:59 PM   #33
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigReg
Neither are as pathetic as you.
I'm not a racist big man.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:09 PM   #34
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
I'm not a racist big man.
That's good to hear. Racial harmony is highly underrated.

Last edited by K0NPHL1C7; 01-21-2007 at 10:56 AM.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:11 PM   #35
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Who cares what Hopkins says, I'm sure Calzaghe dont, because the more shit Hopkins says the more money goes into his pocket. The casual boxing fan barely even knows who Calzaghe is, the fact that the Calzaghe/Kessler fight drew extremely low numbers proves it. Hopkins being the great promoter he is, understands Calzaghe the name doesnt sell, but the fact that he's white does. I just dont understand why a stupid comment upsets so many people, but then again thats exactly the kinda public response Hopkins was hopping for.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:26 PM   #36
sthomas
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnasty
Hopkins should have saved his explanation until after the fight. Bad blood such as this can only make this fight bigger, no need for damage control yet.
Interesting point. Hopkins said there is no genuine raciast motivation to his statement, as if believing that it's not possible for a black guy to get beat by a white guy. His explanation takes away a bit of his bad ass aura. Had he not not clarified his view till after the fight, like most fighters usually do when they talk trash, it would have possibly been to his advantage.

I agree that Hopkins should not have said it in the first place. He's basically whoring the subject to make more money. However, I do not recall a big backlash like this when Tyson said he was going eat boxders children or punch a guys nose bone up into his brain causing death. A true outcome of both Tysons statements would be much less desireable than being beatin in the ring by a guy with a different skin color.
sthomas is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:39 PM   #37
onceagain
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Say what you want, but Hopkins isn't dividing anyone. All he really did was give people and excuse to root along racial lines, it would've happen regardless.
I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if this point has been addressed but that's not true. Who are you to speak for anyone? I'm white, Hopkins is one of my favorite fighters, and I'm still probably going to root for him but it's a lot harder now that he resorted to race baiting for ticket sales. He talks about how shit hasn't changed but he is not helping it. I realize the man is not racist but he doesn't help race relations with stunts like this, plain and simple.
onceagain is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:43 PM   #38
onceagain
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

You've got a black man that stands a good chance of being our next President, and would be a shoo-in if it wasn't for the Clinton machine standing in his way, yet you want to pretend that white people can't and won't root on a black fighter when he's fighting a white fighter? Check your head...
onceagain is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:51 PM   #39
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceagain
I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if this point has been addressed but that's not true. Who are you to speak for anyone? I'm white, Hopkins is one of my favorite fighters, and I'm still probably going to root for him but it's a lot harder now that he resorted to race baiting for ticket sales. He talks about how shit hasn't changed but he is not helping it.
As I stated earlier, I can't speak for individuals, I can only speak in general terms. Look back to the threads here during the Mayweather/Hatton fight and the Taylor/Pavlik fight. There was a racial divide in both those fights as for whom people were rooting. Everyone of course will come up with numerous as to why they chose to root for one fighter or the other. However, at the end of the day, black posters tended to side with Taylor and Mayweather, and white posters tended to side with Hatton and Pavlik. There are, of course, numerous other examples that involve other races and nationalities as well.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:54 PM   #40
rusticraver
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It's a cheap, classless way to promote a fight.
rusticraver is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 03:54 PM   #41
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceagain
You've got a black man that stands a good chance of being our next President, and would be a shoo-in if it wasn't for the Clinton machine standing in his way, yet you want to pretend that white people can't and won't root on a black fighter when he's fighting a white fighter? Check your head...
Politics and boxing are entirely two separate issues. Never did I say white people won't root for a black fighter when he's fighting a white fighter, or vice versa. However, if a black and white guy are fighting, blacks will tend to root for the black fighter and whites will tend to root for the white fighter.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 04:12 PM   #42
FRKO
"A MAN"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Politics and boxing are entirely two separate issues. Never did I say white people won't root for a black fighter when he's fighting a white fighter, or vice versa. However, if a black and white guy are fighting, blacks will tend to root for the black fighter and whites will tend to root for the white fighter.
I'm sorry man but you're talking crap.
FRKO is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 04:15 PM   #43
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticraver
It's a cheap, classless way to promote a fight.
...not to mention irresponsible...
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 04:23 PM   #44
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

He said what he said to draw the casual fan into watching a boxing match, Calzaghes isnt popular in America, the supposed match of the year, as some called it, did horrible viewing numbers on HBO, I think thats proof enough that it takes more than the fighters skills to get people to watch. Hopkins is just doing what he has for years, wether it's slapping someone in the face or degrading someones flag, at the end of the day it's more money in his and his oppenents pocket, and more people watching there fight.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 04:25 PM   #45
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher33
He said what he said to draw the casual fan into watching a boxing match, Calzaghes isnt popular in America, the supposed match of the year, as some called it, did horrible viewing numbers on HBO, I think thats proof enough that it takes more than the fighters skills to get people to watch. Hopkins is just doing what he has for years, wether it's slapping someone in the face or degrading someones flag, at the end of the day it's more money in his and his oppenents pocket, and more people watching there fight.
Sure...I agree...it does help sell the fight. But this doesn't change the fact that to sell it this way is irresponsible, classless and cheap.
Decebal is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum