Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-31-2008, 04:54 PM   #61
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopkins sheds light on Calzaghe comments

All great fighters learn to compensate for what they lost over the years, Hopkins workrate has declined since 01-02, but his rough house tactics have improved and so has ability to pick the punches he throws, to save on energy, that he might need down the stretch. He still is one best counter punchers in the fight game today, and I could promise you, Calzaghes awkward punches will be countered frquently. I think many people will be surprised how much Calzaghe will be out of his element fighting away from home and against a ring general like Hopkins.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2008, 04:56 PM   #62
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigReg
Say what you want, but Hopkins isn't dividing anyone. All he really did was give people and excuse to root along racial lines, it would've happen regardless.
Please just stop.
acb is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 04:57 PM   #63
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher33
All great fighters learn to compensate for what they lost over the years, Hopkins workrate has declined since 01-02, but his rough house tactics have improved and so has ability to pick the punches he throws, to save on energy, that he might need down the stretch. He still is one best counter punchers in the fight game today, and I could promise you, Calzaghes awkward punches will be countered frquently. I think many people will be surprised how much Calzaghe will be out of his element fighting away from home and against a ring general like Hopkins.
You are right...Bhops is surprisingly effective. Joe is a master of the dark arts too, though..he can handle Bhops. I hope Hopkins puts on a good show and brings the best he is capable of to the table; otherwise, this fight will be a missed opportunity for Joe after Kessler. We'll see.
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 PM   #64
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostya Zoo
no, I meant what BigReg said is how racist people justify their racism. It's an "everybody does it" mentality. No, not everybody does it. People who do it are ignorant and probably not true fans.
Bingo.
acb is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 05:02 PM   #65
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal
You are right...Bhops is surprisingly effective. Joe is a master of the dark arts too, though..he can handle Bhops. I hope Hopkins puts on a good show and brings the best he is capable of to the table; otherwise, this fight will be a missed opportunity for Joe after Kessler. We'll see.
I agree, I cant wait to see it myself. I really think almost anythings possible in this fight, aside from a knockout by either man, that I feel is highly unlikely. I'm still surprised this fight wont be on PPV, I guess Calzaghe/Kessler numbers changed HBO's mind or something, to throw it on PPV.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 05:13 PM   #66
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by acb
Please just stop.
I write whatever the hell I want. I call it like I see it.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 05:23 PM   #67
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:
Good for you, so can anyone. But you also presupose YOUR way of thinking is normal and project it onto others as if its natural (i.e. people were going to cheer for one fighter or another based on race anyway).
acb is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 05:25 PM   #68
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:
I'm not disputing what you're saying. I'm not trying to state how things should be, I'm going by how things are.
This is a perfect example, "how things are" is a very vague assertion which doesn't carry much weight. Are things like this because you say so? Because many disagree with you.
acb is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 05:30 PM   #69
maracho
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Just because Hopkins wants to make a promotional buck some white guys are now a bit more likely to be shot or stabbed because they dared to wip a black guy.
maracho is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 05:35 PM   #70
196osh
Mendes Bros.
East Side Guru

vCash: 277

Quote:
So you think it is all ok? It is not. The guy activly try's to promote himself as a role model by talking to kids about how they can get out of bad impovrished situations. Coming out with racist comments to "promote" a fight is bullshit.

He could have done anything to promote that fight to the general public. Hell it is not even PPV? If not what justification does he have? Because Calzaghe wont be able to fill the arena?
196osh is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 05:39 PM   #71
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 196osh
So you think it is all ok? It is not. The guy activly try's to promote himself as a role model by talking to kids about how they can get out of bad impovrished situations. Coming out with racist comments to "promote" a fight is bullshit.

He could have done anything to promote that fight to the general public. Hell it is not even PPV? If not what justification does he have? Because Calzaghe wont be able to fill the arena?
I dont even think that Bernard is doing it to promote the fight. Actualy, I think he is trying to motivate himself by setting public expectations that he cant lose to a white boy, and having to follow through.

I admire Bernard (always liked him as a fighter) but he is wrong in this instance as he was wrong for what he did in Puerto Rico.

But he is human and obviously still has some evolution to do.
acb is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 05:50 PM   #72
SugarRay
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMcNasty
Joe acknowledges he doesn't think Hopkins is racist and is aware it is all trash-talk.. at about 2:25 of the video he starts talkin about Hopkins' mind games..
Some people who are less intelligent may take it to heart. There could be instances where this will provide a catalyst for racial tension. Therefore, Hopkin's slur was uncalled for.
SugarRay is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #73
196osh
Mendes Bros.
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acb
I dont even think that Bernard is doing it to promote the fight. Actualy, I think he is trying to motivate himself by setting public expectations that he cant lose to a white boy, and having to follow through.

Perhaps actually. Do you see it helping?

Last edited by Bummy Davis; 01-21-2007 at 06:05 PM.
196osh is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 05:55 PM   #74
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 196osh

Some of you guys have a real distorted view of what racism is. I guess it's better to be too sensitive than not sensitive enouigh. It's funny, I remember when the Dog the Bounty Hunter controvesy came about. A thread was made on it, and everyone pretty much condemed the network for putting his show on hiatus and basically said he had the right to say whatever he wanted. Now Hopkins says one comment that was nowhere near as bad as what Dog sad, and people what to hang him for it. Interesting, I wonder why Dog gets a free pass on this site, but B-Hop gets buried?
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #75
196osh
Mendes Bros.
East Side Guru

Quote:
Some of you guys have a real distorted view of what racism is. I guess it's better to be too sensitive than not sensitive enouigh. It's funny, I remember when the Dog the Bounty Hunter controvesy came about. A thread was made on it, and everyone pretty much condemed the network for putting his show on hiatus and basically said he had the right to say whatever he wanted. Now Hopkins says one comment that was nowhere near as bad as what Dog sad, and people what to hang him for it. Interesting, I wonder why Dog gets a free pass on this site, but B-Hop gets buried?
Does he get a free pass from me? Does he ****!!! Dog or who ever can get to ****. I have no idea who the guy is.

All Hopkins has to do for me to be ok with him, people like me also, my mates anybody who is reasonable who has a problem with what Hopkins said is to apoligise say it was a heat of the moment thing.

That he does not think that colour should come into it!!! He will beat Joe if he were black or white.

He is an absoloute disgrace for seeing pleased with himself for the comments, and I am disapointed that people who are clearly not idiots are defending what he said.
196osh is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum