Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,379
vCash: 0
Default Tommy Loughran vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi

The master boxer from Philadelphia versus the 'buzzsaw' from Camden...
15 rounds at light heavy. Who do you pick?
dpw417 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tommy Loughran vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi

I know that the styles can come into it , and Qawi was very strong , and great h2h . But imo , Loughran is one of the very best LHWs ever , and he would be able to outbox Qawi and win a decision here
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salisbury, MD
Posts: 3,881
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tommy Loughran vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi

First keep in my mind that my veiwing history of loughran is limited...and I would rather see Matthew saad Muhammad fight him stylisticaly...2nd from a Philly perspective my heart want's loughran...after all what is Camden but a poor mans Philly...

I see Braxton taking this in about 11
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tommy Loughran vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Loughran. His footwork and boxing style would see him to a comfortable UD. He was very fluid and very slick, a very sharp boxer. Qawi was sort of like a smaller, slower Frazier, but I see Loughran's height and reach playing well with his style against someone like Qawi.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,379
vCash: 0
Default Re: Tommy Loughran vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Loughran. His footwork and boxing style would see him to a comfortable UD. He was very fluid and very slick, a very sharp boxer. Qawi was sort of like a smaller, slower Frazier, but I see Loughran's height and reach playing well with his style against someone like Qawi.
Sweet Pea,
Qawi isn't exactly a speed merchant...that's for sure. But take a look at his fights against Sadd, Martin, Davis, and Spinks. He isn't slow by any means...that being said Loughran has better speed...and he has the jab...but does he have the power to keep the pressuring Qawi off him?
dpw417 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salisbury, MD
Posts: 3,881
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tommy Loughran vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417
Sweet Pea,
Qawi isn't exactly a speed merchant...that's for sure. But take a look at his fights against Sadd, Martin, Davis, and Spinks. He isn't slow by any means...that being said Loughran has better speed...and he has the jab...but does he have the power to keep the pressuring Qawi off him?
Good examples except for Spinks..If you mean michael he badly out boxed Qawi..i don't know if Loughran has the necesary foot spped??? If you mean leon..well that was a horriblr fight where leon would not move at all no matter how much his corner begged..it was like heavy bag practice...not sure either of those works?
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tommy Loughran vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417
Sweet Pea,
Qawi isn't exactly a speed merchant...that's for sure. But take a look at his fights against Sadd, Martin, Davis, and Spinks. He isn't slow by any means...that being said Loughran has better speed...and he has the jab...but does he have the power to keep the pressuring Qawi off him?
But Loughran fought in a better era than Qawi did at 175 , and he did great , he was able to outbox stronger guys than Qawi aswell
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tommy Loughran vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Loughran was said to be dull but virtually unhittable. Kind of like a bigger Willie Pep but not as an exciting style. Qawi's aggression would not be that effective here.

Loughran by UD
Sardu is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,379
vCash: 0
Default Re: Tommy Loughran vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69
Good examples except for Spinks..If you mean michael he badly out boxed Qawi..i don't know if Loughran has the necesary foot spped??? If you mean leon..well that was a horriblr fight where leon would not move at all no matter how much his corner begged..it was like heavy bag practice...not sure either of those works?
True.
I meant Michael Spinks...and yes, Spinks did outbox him...but Qawi had to respect Spinks' power...would Loughran get respect? I'm not sure...
dpw417 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,847
vCash: 215
Default Re: Tommy Loughran vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Loughran 26 to 28 is IMO severley... no; criminally underrated. Braxton was a fine offensive machine and their styles would mesh real well, both would enjoy the bout, but Loughran would it enjoy more, as he would win.

Loughran WU15 (10-5)
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:51 PM   #11
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tommy Loughran vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi

I read this thing once , cant remember where , but it said that basically , if Loughran ever hit a guy with a right hand , they went over , he had great power in it . But he broke his and early in his career and focused on using his jab . It said that is the reason he had such a great jab , and also why he had such a low ko rate . Dont know how truee this is , but just thought id see if any1 else read that aswell
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:05 PM   #12
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,379
vCash: 0
Default Re: Tommy Loughran vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto
But Loughran fought in a better era than Qawi did at 175 , and he did great , he was able to outbox stronger guys than Qawi aswell
Loughran's era was tough...Tunney, McTigue, Walker, Greb...Bigger guys like Baer, Carnera, and Braddock...Qawi also went against very tough comp, although they aren't recognized as legends (well some of them are)...Sadd, Davis, Spinks, Holyfield, Foreman etc...
Loughran did fight larger and stronger men than Qawi...But did he face someone with the pressure and style of Qawi? Greb? stylistically maybe so...Greb was problably much quicker than Qawi, but Qawi would have been more powerful...Qawi had a sneaky attack in a way...bob and weave with a counter jab and right hand...along with pressure until he found his way to the inside...Spinks offset this with a very persistant left jab and height (which Loughran has) but does Loughran have anything else? Does he need anything else? I lean towards Qawi...I just don't know if Tommy has the physical strength to tie him up...but I very much respect Loughran, an ATG boxer.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:16 PM   #13
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tommy Loughran vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417
Loughran's era was tough...Tunney, McTigue, Walker, Greb...Bigger guys like Baer, Carnera, and Braddock...Qawi also went against very tough comp, although they aren't recognized as legends (well some of them are)...Sadd, Davis, Spinks, Holyfield, Foreman etc...
Loughran did fight larger and stronger men than Qawi...But did he face someone with the pressure and style of Qawi? Greb? stylistically maybe so...Greb was problably much quicker than Qawi, but Qawi would have been more powerful...Qawi had a sneaky attack in a way...bob and weave with a counter jab and right hand...along with pressure until he found his way to the inside...Spinks offset this with a very persistant left jab and height (which Loughran has) but does Loughran have anything else? Does he need anything else? I lean towards Qawi...I just don't know if Tommy has the physical strength to tie him up...but I very much respect Loughran, an ATG boxer.
Yeah Qawi fought in a very good era at 175 aswell , an underrated era by some , i just was making the point that Loughran could deal with big strong guys . Your right saying that the big guys that Loughran fought would not have been as relentless as Qawi , but he did get a decision over Baer though , a focused Baer is a very good/great fighter. Still not the same style as Qawi , but very agressive . And Loughran was said to have done well (maybe deserved a decision over) Greb , imo regardless of size , is a harder man to handle than Qawi.

I get your point aswell , i didnt think you were trying to discredit Loughran either . It is hard to call stylistically , but i really rate Loughran high as a master boxer , i think he would win it imo
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:40 PM   #14
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,379
vCash: 0
Default Re: Tommy Loughran vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto
Yeah Qawi fought in a very good era at 175 aswell , an underrated era by some , i just was making the point that Loughran could deal with big strong guys . Your right saying that the big guys that Loughran fought would not have been as relentless as Qawi , but he did get a decision over Baer though , a focused Baer is a very good/great fighter. Still not the same style as Qawi , but very agressive . And Loughran was said to have done well (maybe deserved a decision over) Greb , imo regardless of size , is a harder man to handle than Qawi.

I get your point aswell , i didnt think you were trying to discredit Loughran either . It is hard to call stylistically , but i really rate Loughran high as a master boxer , i think he would win it imo
Teeto,
It's very possible it plays out just like you said...Loughran is a proven ATG.
You think Greb would take Qawi? .... I always thought Hagler/Qawi was a fun fight to consider...back in the day that was a fight I wanted to come off. It wasn't particularly a fair fight for Hagler, but the match up intrigued me.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:46 PM   #15
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tommy Loughran vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi

I never said that Greb would take Qawi h2h , i said that Greb could possibly be a harder guy for Loughran to handle , Greb's pressure was supposedly unbeleivable , and a very dirty fighter aswell . You never know if Greb could take Qawi though , possible ???
Dont know about Hagler/Qawi , Qawi would make that a war , and what a war it would be !! Maybe just too big though
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013