Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
Phill-Mitchell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Who will fight a world class opponent first, burns or cleverly

I think Burns will keep the hell away from broner, cleverly will dodge Dawson

I'll say pascal is world class, cleverly might fight him because he's known from the froch fight, but he'll get sparked
Phill-Mitchell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
ElCep
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Who will fight a world class opponent first, burns or cleverly

Cleverly/Pascal would make me take notice. The ways things are, and have been, Cleverly is an irrelevancy.
ElCep is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

These two make Bute look like he had one of the hardest ever reigns in the sport.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
JamieC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

tbf burns has done alright, people were saying hed get ko'ed against martinez (whos since won the belt back) but he went in there and outboxed him, people said the same thing about katsidis, same result, moses was a decent challenge, not the best but id say world class and mitchell was another good match up made to look easy
JamieC is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
These two make Bute look like he had one of the hardest ever reigns in the sport.
I'm sure you're hungover from your birthday but come on Burns hasn't been all that atrocious compared to some.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post
I'm sure you're hungover from your birthday but come on Burns hasn't been all that atrocious compared to some.
But compare him to Bute who people said faced weak opposition and Bute faced many B level guys. Ricky's faced 2 and then the rest are C and D level operators at world level.

It's just strange how bad the two lads competition is compared to a ex Champion like Bute.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
Clarky Cat
Stalwart
ESB Senior Member

Seeing as how Burns won his title from a 'champion', and not in a vacancy match...
Clarky Cat is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
But compare him to Bute who people said faced weak opposition and Bute faced many B level guys. Ricky's faced 2 and then the rest are C and D level operators at world level.

It's just strange how bad the two lads competition is compared to a ex Champion like Bute.
Yeah but thats also in the context of the divisions. Burns wasn't fighting these guys whilst the top fighters were all fighting each other. Not to mention just how deep 168 is it has a top 15 of all known, good fighters. 126/135 just isn't that deep especially with lots of the top fighters moving up from 135 to get the money fights at 140/147.

Now Cleverlys opposition is inexcusable. Its a joke plain and simple not only is he fighting weak opposition but they are guys no one has even heard of.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeah but thats also in the context of the divisions. Burns wasn't fighting these guys whilst the top fighters were all fighting each other. Not to mention just how deep 168 is it has a top 15 of all known, good fighters. 126/135 just isn't that deep especially with lots of the top fighters moving up from 135 to get the money fights at 140/147.

Now Cleverlys opposition is inexcusable. Its a joke plain and simple not only is he fighting weak opposition but they are guys no one has even heard of.
Still see that as no reason to not face the better end of the LW division Matt. Bute's got a lot of stick, rightfully so for facing the lower end of the spectrum but he still faced better opponents then these two that's how bad it is when you put into context.

There's some decent fighters at LW for Burns to fight, better guys then Mitchell that's for sure.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Curious to know where the Cleverley hate comes from? I'll be the first to admit that his promoter is a c*nt and he hasn't tested himself yet, apart from a close fight with Bellew, (which I had Bellew wining) Cleverely stylistically causes problems for a number of "world class" opposition, because he is busy. It's that busyness that steals rounds of fighters who do very little in some rounds. It's the reason why N'dam on my scorecard was one point ahead going into the 12th, even though he had been knocked down 4 times going into the 12th.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Cleverley is all that, because he likes to be involved in scraps to much, and eventually he will be exposed. He seems very hot headed in the ring.

But does someone care to explain why Cleverley gets this heat on here?

I don't get it, he's not delaying the inevitable anymore than Brook has/is doing, same as Price and Burns. He will get easy nobody fight after easy nobody fight, so his record seems fantastic, thats the way today, promoters won't put them in for a world title, until they feel confident enough thats its an easy fight, or the belt has been vacated.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Still see that as no reason to not face the better end of the LW division Matt. Bute's got a lot of stick, rightfully so for facing the lower end of the spectrum but he still faced better opponents then these two that's how bad it is when you put into context.

There's some decent fighters at LW for Burns to fight, better guys then Mitchell that's for sure.
I just don't see the huge gap in competition relatively between Butes title run and Burns if we look at the better fighters they faced. If you include Bute actually getting knocked out in one of those fights and the quality of the divisons then the difference is even smaller.

I agree completely he should be fighting better guys, and he's showing he should be in the ring, I just think that comparing his title run to Clevs is unfair.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:

Good post.

Burns' reign at Lightweight is pretty solid. I hope now that he gets a Demarco or Vasquez fight because they would be very competitive unifications.

Vasquez is the no.1 in the division IMO so that fight would be great. It's winnable too.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #13
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
Curious to know where the Cleverley hate comes from? I'll be the first to admit that his promoter is a c*nt and he hasn't tested himself yet, apart from a close fight with Bellew, (which I had Bellew wining) Cleverely stylistically causes problems for a number of "world class" opposition, because he is busy. It's that busyness that steals rounds of fighters who do very little in some rounds. It's the reason why N'dam on my scorecard was one point ahead going into the 12th, even though he had been knocked down 4 times going into the 12th.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Cleverley is all that, because he likes to be involved in scraps to much, and eventually he will be exposed. He seems very hot headed in the ring.

But does someone care to explain why Cleverley gets this heat on here?

I don't get it, he's not delaying the inevitable anymore than Brook has/is doing, same as Price and Burns. He will get easy nobody fight after easy nobody fight, so his record seems fantastic, thats the way today, promoters won't put them in for a world title, until they feel confident enough thats its an easy fight, or the belt has been vacated.
Because he is held up as a champion and claims to be a champion.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #14
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Burns has faced Katsids, Moses and Mitchell. Thats a quality trio.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #15
McGuinty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
Burns has faced Katsids, Moses and Mitchell. Thats a quality trio.
Katsidis was.. maybe. The other two?
McGuinty is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum