Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #16
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Ray Mercer V Razor Ruddock

Eh, not sure if Ruddock could crack that chin. A full steam, on the button Morrison couldn't even begin too.
Russell is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2008, 02:52 AM   #17
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Ruddock was such an infuriating fighter to watch.
He had all the tools to be a heavyweight champion, and possibly even a very good one - ample size and strength, monstrous power, good boxing fundamentals and the heart of a lion.
What he lacked was a brain, and I'm only half-joking.

When he started to believe in his power, he became a one-dimensional plodder, always looking for that big left hand. It cost him badly in the Tyson fights and to a lesser extent in the Morrison fight.

Mercer I think, was not nearly as blessed when it came to physical gifts. He was never really any better than above-average as a boxer, but that granite chin allowed him to win fights he really should have lost.
He had good but not pulverising power, did not possess quick hands or feet, had limited endurance and was not much of a thinker in the ring.

On the face of it, if Ruddock had any kind of strategy and fully employed his considerable arsenal, I think he beats Mercer comforably on points.
Thing is, he'll try and be macho and it would cost him. Ray would absorb the punches and get in his own, and to me this would become a war of attrition.
Mercer rarely lost those and I think he'd overcome a knockdown to win on a split decision.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2008, 06:11 AM   #18
ozziebattler
Shadow Boxer
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Ruddock was brave and always picked himself up off the deck in fights (maybe that's why Lennox Lewis hit him TWICE when he was on the canvas!), but I dont think his chin or ability to stand up to a head shot was anything special.

I'm surprised every time I watch the second Tyson-Ruddock fight that Tyson is so sloppy he cant finish a hurt Ruddock in the early rounds.

Ruddock would be in real danger of getting stopped against the Mercer who "mercilessly" battered Tommy Morrison.

Then again, maybe even Mercer's chin wouldn't stand up to Ruddock's best punch he landed on Mike Dokes.

Basically, either guy could win this, on points or by KO, but I'd pick Mercer, who at his best was very competitive with Lewis and Holyfield.
Ruddock was mashed by Tyson, Lewis and Morrison, sooner or later. Razor was a bit of a hype job, but the chilling Dokes KO made that inevitable.
I actually believe Mercer won the lewis bout.

Mercer in his prime was a very good boxer with unbelievable heart/chin.

The poor bastard has become a sideshow these days.

Any1 see the Kimbo slice farce???It was pumped up as the mma fight of the century and then Kimbo goes for a chokehold.

Couldnt believe a guy that made his name beating up bums in backyard fist fights(most fights he stands there and lets his opponents hit him)
to show they got nothing.But against Mercer he goes for a takedown then chokehold.

I know this has nothing to do with this thread but it just shits me how big bad Kimbo shit talked up a big slugfest then delivers a chokehold.

Mercer would of owned that fool if they traded punches toe 2 toe.
ozziebattler is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2008, 06:17 AM   #19
ozziebattler
Shadow Boxer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury
Ruddock was such an infuriating fighter to watch.
He had all the tools to be a heavyweight champion, and possibly even a very good one - ample size and strength, monstrous power, good boxing fundamentals and the heart of a lion.
What he lacked was a brain, and I'm only half-joking.

When he started to believe in his power, he became a one-dimensional plodder, always looking for that big left hand. It cost him badly in the Tyson fights and to a lesser extent in the Morrison fight.

Mercer I think, was not nearly as blessed when it came to physical gifts. He was never really any better than above-average as a boxer, but that granite chin allowed him to win fights he really should have lost.
He had good but not pulverising power, did not possess quick hands or feet, had limited endurance and was not much of a thinker in the ring.

On the face of it, if Ruddock had any kind of strategy and fully employed his considerable arsenal, I think he beats Mercer comforably on points.
Thing is, he'll try and be macho and it would cost him. Ray would absorb the punches and get in his own, and to me this would become a war of attrition.
Mercer rarely lost those and I think he'd overcome a knockdown to win on a split decision.
Totally agree with your post.

Ruddock was a decent fighter who definetly had it all to be a good world titlelist(2many belts).

Also if you rewatch the Morrison v Mercer bout you will see how good mercer's chin is.The bloke took massive shots and was easily getting outhustled until his opponent left a opening and wham he was merciless.

Both Mercer and Ruddock were extremely good fighters who if in their prime these days would probably be holding titles.
ozziebattler is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #20
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury
I agree with you here. Ruddock dissapointed a lot of his fans against Tyson, Lewis and Morrison because he was always looking for the one big shot from that hybrid left hook-uppercut. Why he didn't box and use the jab that gave him his nickname is beyond me. I don't know what happened between Ruddock and Floyd Patterson but he was looking good for a while when Floyd got him throwing more combinations.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #21
bxrfan
Sizzle
ESB Addict

Both were inconsistant, but I'd say that Ray Mercer wins a decision.
bxrfan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum