Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835
Default On your toes!

As I have stated in previous forms I tend to be more of the flat footed slugger type, I still twist my front foot/hips with hooks and my back foot with crosses but as for movement I am very slow and easy to hit. I've always had a good chin so I didnt mind taking punishment to give punishment. My coach is frustrated with my lack of mobility any tips/exercises to work on staying on your toes more? I tend so prefer a less mobile stable platform that I can sit down on my punches with however I need to learn mobility/agility its my Achilles heal I appreciate it!

Ricky
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: On your toes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky42791 View Post
As I have stated in previous forms I tend to be more of the flat footed slugger type, I still twist my front foot/hips with hooks and my back foot with crosses but as for movement I am very slow and easy to hit. I've always had a good chin so I didnt mind taking punishment to give punishment. My coach is frustrated with my lack of mobility any tips/exercises to work on staying on your toes more? I tend so prefer a less mobile stable platform that I can sit down on my punches with however I need to learn mobility/agility its my Achilles heal I appreciate it!

Ricky
I'm sure you can get a lot of good advice on this. My own would be skipping. Do you do a lot of this? If you already do, then get even better at it. Learn the fancy tricks. Skipping will strengthen your calves and improve your coordination - give you that "spring" in your step. Don't just do it as a warmup, do it for a long time and get creative with different styles.
Are you a big heavy guy? Probably drop some weight too. If you're not that big, then skipping and other footwork exercises (shuffles/jumps etc) should help a lot.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I'm not really heavy, just never been an on my toes type of fighter. lol thank you for your input!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
Bazzel
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Catch a chicken
Bazzel is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Damnit bazzel
Old 10-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Why does not being mobile make you easy to hit? Certainly, skipping around the ring, contrary to popular opinion, does not make you a good defensive fighter. In boxing, you don't do anything, not a single thing, just to be doing something.
Try moving more efficiently; cutting the ring off, or positioning yourself where you can land punches without taking them. Improve your ability to judge and then control distance. So you remain out of range, then slide in when your opponent's punches fall short.
Learn to coordinate your hands and feet, so you can move and punch effectively.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Yeah I never wanted to be a dancer, im a puncher/brawler. I see you what you mean though James Toney doesent dance around and he plants his feet and bobs and weaves/ slips and rarely ever gets hit cleanly.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
Why does not being mobile make you easy to hit? Certainly, skipping around the ring, contrary to popular opinion, does not make you a good defensive fighter. In boxing, you don't do anything, not a single thing, just to be doing something.
Try moving more efficiently; cutting the ring off, or positioning yourself where you can land punches without taking them. Improve your ability to judge and then control distance. So you remain out of range, then slide in when your opponent's punches fall short.
Learn to coordinate your hands and feet, so you can move and punch effectively.
Very solid.
I'd also suggest working on explosive reactions. Try being first when reacting to offense and defense. Make them afraid of counter punching you while on the inside.
JDK is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675

Whatever advice we throw your way, make sure they only compliment the advice your trainer suggests. We've only seen your sparring videos, but he sees you every day. Good luck
JDK is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

@JKD yes I agree I take my coaches advice over an a boxing forum (no offense) LOL yeah I just think he wants me to not be so plodding with my footwork,
Old 10-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #11
Deon

Try going more efficiently; reducing the band off, or placement yourself where you can area blows without taking them. Enhance your capability to assess and then control variety. So you stay out of variety, then drop in when your opponents blows are unsuccessful.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Deon is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Get some kneepads, practice Shadow Boxing on the Knees plus, moving the Knees while doing it. Results will surprise you .
scrap is online now  Top
Old 10-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Skipping will prepare your ankles and foot muscles for mobility but it won't make you more mobile. The only thing that will is practising mobility. During shadowboxing for example, but also during bagwork you could try not to stand in front of the bag but to circle it and move in and out of range.

What helped me a lot is running. About half of my run (which wasn't too long to be honest, up to 5 miles most of the time) was running backwards and sidewards. Change direction a lot, then throw semi-punches while doing it, and you're halfway already.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
cambay411

Go to you tube and look up agility exercises. Theres really so many I cant even begin to go into it it. You can skip to help aglity but not just a normal skip. Start on one end of a long hallway and skip down that hallway jumping as high as you can with each skip (for one of many examples). Some boxing specific agility exercises would be like a four way duck drill or even including alot of footwork in your shadow boxing. Jump foward and backward or side to side over a box. Jump roping is even an agilty exercise especially when you go high knees.
cambay411 is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #15
cambay411

Re-read your first post and it sounds to me like you need to hit up some jump rope and duck drills.
cambay411 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing