Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 535
Default Im having trouble sparring a southpaw who has long reach

So hes not slow, has a range advantage, and a height advantage, and a weight advantage, and mixes up coming forward imposing his jab cross on me or going back when I try to come forward again imposing his jab cross and hook on me.

How do I out box this guy? What are my best options?

What combos do you recommend?

What punches should I use on the inside?

How do I get inside safely?
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Im having trouble sparring a southpaw who has long reach

Im an orthodox fighter btw
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Throw the right hand, son!

No, seriously. The right hand is such a great punch in this situation. If you drive with your straight punches, and step with your jab, you can quite literally come in punching.

When he comes in behind his jab, take your head off center and throw the right hand to the body. If he defends against it by backing away from it, congratulations; He's going to have trouble coming forward if you are sharp with that counter. Also try coming forward aggressively with a slip left and rip the left hook. These movements need to happen VERY close together.

The best way to deal with a faster fighter is to time his favorite punches, and the best way to handle a taller fighter is punishing body shot counters and punching over the top of his punches.

When you get inside, dig the double hooks, body and head. When he moves his body to defend his right side, the overhand right should open up. When you pin him on the ropes, move your head and aggressively move around him, working both sides of his ribs with both hands. If he starts to lower himself, find the right uppercut.

Facing a taller guy is daunting because the solution isn't easy, but if you box with your mind, slow the pace down a bit, and turn his advantages in on themselves, it can be VERY frustrating. The key is to take his favorite moves away from him!
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
Throw the right hand, son!

No, seriously. The right hand is such a great punch in this situation. If you drive with your straight punches, and step with your jab, you can quite literally come in punching.

When he comes in behind his jab, take your head off center and throw the right hand to the body. If he defends against it by backing away from it, congratulations; He's going to have trouble coming forward if you are sharp with that counter. Also try coming forward aggressively with a slip left and rip the left hook. These movements need to happen VERY close together.

The best way to deal with a faster fighter is to time his favorite punches, and the best way to handle a taller fighter is punishing body shot counters and punching over the top of his punches.

When you get inside, dig the double hooks, body and head. When he moves his body to defend his right side, the overhand right should open up. When you pin him on the ropes, move your head and aggressively move around him, working both sides of his ribs with both hands. If he starts to lower himself, find the right uppercut.

Facing a taller guy is daunting because the solution isn't easy, but if you box with your mind, slow the pace down a bit, and turn his advantages in on themselves, it can be VERY frustrating. The key is to take his favorite moves away from him!

Brilliant answer thanks mate!
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Also...

Unless he's very mature and well schooled already, he's going to start loading up on the straight left when you take away his jab. If you find yourself seeing that shot coming, wait for him to load the shot, then duck and throw an overhand right.

It'll land, and it'll hurt, a lot. If you are countering his two best punches reliably, again, unless he's very mature and well schooled, he's going to start depleting mentally very, very rapidly.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Also...

Unless he's very mature and well schooled already, he's going to start loading up on the straight left when you take away his jab. If you find yourself seeing that shot coming, wait for him to load the shot, then duck and throw an overhand right.

It'll land, and it'll hurt, a lot. If you are countering his two best punches reliably, again, unless he's very mature and well schooled, he's going to start depleting mentally very, very rapidly.
Sweet I love the overhand right cant wait to use it on him! Thanks again mate! That is a seriously cool counter!
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post
Sweet I love the overhand right cant wait to use it on him! Thanks again mate! That is a seriously cool counter!
Man, I love me some good counter punching.

PM me if you'd ever like more. I have a million.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:

I will thanks a million mate!
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
cambay411

vCash: 500

Magna has a pretty good response. Use head movement and rip his body up. Dont forget to work your jab. He has a longer reach so he can hit you before you get in range to hit him so head movement is key.
cambay411 is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

...You don't happen to be sparring in a gym in New York would you? Had the same problems. Got busted up real good.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Yeah I agree, overhand right works out well for me, especially since i'm shorter 5'8 than many of my sparring partners. Had a lot of success using the overhand right against a 6 ft southpaw.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:

I could listen to this all day.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Also...

Let him know about the Southpaw left uppercut too.
ROACH is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
nvs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 400

Was watching Margaritos sparring session from youtube where Doug Fischer notes that Sergio Mora switching stances has no effect on Margarito cause of the amount of pressure he applies.

That prolly dont fall under the "outboxing category tho.
nvs is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing