Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Will you rank Bernard Hopkins over Floyd and Manny on the ATG LIST?
Yes Bernard over both 26 33.33%
No. Floyd Or Manny deserve to be ranked higher overall 52 66.67%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #46
ConserveWater
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 86
vCash: 500
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins: higher on ATG list than Floyd and Manny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliang1000 View Post
I don't understand why you focus on greatest just bc Bhop's age. It is nobody's fought that he was a late bloomer. You should look at their career as a whole.
I AGREE.... I'm just saying YOU not giving MORE credit to Bernard and what he achieved after 40 is also not fair. The wins are naturally BIGGER as you get to that age. I mean you talk about the Pavlik win as a 'good win'. It's a 'good win' if that was a Prime Bernard. For a old man, that is considered a GREAT win.You must take into account just how hard it is for someone his age to do what he has done.
ConserveWater is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #47
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,954
vCash: 90000
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins: higher on ATG list than Floyd and Manny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConserveWater View Post
You keep saying it's not impressive that 40+ year old Bernard beating up Tarver-Pascal-Pavlik.

Why is that not impressive? It's not as if Bernard started his career at age 30. His body got a lot of wear and tear going into the Pavlik fight already. Let's see what Floyd will do at age 43( If he's not dead)
He didn't do much of anything pre 30 prior his vacant title shot.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #48
COLD-HARD-TRUTH
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,278
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins: higher on ATG list than Floyd and Manny?

Hopkins rates above both Mayweather and Pacquiao IMHO. He set the record for middleweight title defenses and became the oldest fighter to ever win a title. What Hopkins has accomplished after the age of 40 has been incredible and he has surpassed Pacquiao and Mayweather based on that. Mayweather hasn't shown the willingness to take the risky fights that would really define his career and Pacquiao has been gifted too many decisions against Marquez....and is already slowing down at 33.
COLD-HARD-TRUTH is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #49
ConserveWater
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 86
vCash: 500
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins: higher on ATG list than Floyd and Manny?

Forget what he have achieved after 40. Let's talk about the Trinidad fight. Name me one victory for Floyd that is a bigger win than that?

Let's not go into the bullshit about Tito not 'being in his weight class'. He looked great at MW against Joppy, he looked just as good at MW as compare to his fight against Vargas at 154. He is a massive 154 fighter and if he was in today's MW Division. Can we honestly say anyone outside of Martinez will beat Tito?
ConserveWater is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #50
Collie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,600
vCash: 20000
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins: higher on ATG list than Floyd and Manny?

In a list of ATG's from 1980 onward, I've Pacquaio at 4, Mayweather at 5 and Hopkins at 8. So I personally rate Pacquaio and Mayweather higher, but it is quite close. Mayweather gets before him because of his long domination of several weight-classes (unbeaten) and his skills, Pacquaio for his domination of even more weight-classes and his resume with wins over many other HOF/ATG's.
Collie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #51
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,954
vCash: 90000
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins: higher on ATG list than Floyd and Manny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConserveWater View Post
I AGREE.... I'm just saying YOU not giving MORE credit to Bernard and what he achieved after 40 is also not fair. The wins are naturally BIGGER as you get to that age. I mean you talk about the Pavlik win as a 'good win'. It's a 'good win' if that was a Prime Bernard. For a old man, that is considered a GREAT win.You must take into account just how hard it is for someone his age to do what he has done.

I rate bhop very much as a matter of fact, quit putting words in my mouth.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #52
ConserveWater
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 86
vCash: 500
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins: higher on ATG list than Floyd and Manny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliang1000 View Post
I rate bhop very much as a matter of fact, quit putting words in my mouth.
At every angle Floyd and Pac will smoke Bhop.
That's you






That's like me saying 'Roy Jones Jr will be dominated by Joe Calzaghe, in every category, come at me bro'
Oh I rate Roy very much btw, quit putting words in my mouth..
ConserveWater is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #53
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,954
vCash: 90000
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins: higher on ATG list than Floyd and Manny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConserveWater View Post
Forget what he have achieved after 40. Let's talk about the Trinidad fight. Name me one victory for Floyd that is a bigger win than that?

Let's not go into the bullshit about Tito not 'being in his weight class'. He looked great at MW against Joppy, he looked just as good at MW as compare to his fight against Vargas at 154. He is a massive 154 fighter and if he was in today's MW Division. Can we honestly say anyone outside of Martinez will beat Tito?
You do know Trinidad started at 140 and bhop at 175(LHW) right? Floyd's victory over Corrales, Castillo tops it. THey were both bigger than Floyd not the other way around. And names that top Tito are Oscar and tie with Tito is Shane and JMM.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #54
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 2666
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins: higher on ATG list than Floyd and Manny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie View Post
In a list of ATG's from 1980 onward, I've Pacquaio at 4, Mayweather at 5 and Hopkins at 8. So I personally rate Pacquaio and Mayweather higher, but it is quite close. Mayweather gets before him because of his long domination of several weight-classes (unbeaten) and his skills, Pacquaio for his domination of even more weight-classes and his resume with wins over many other HOF/ATG's.

What would that list be?

Mine would read

Sugar Ray Leonard
Thomas Hearns
Marvin Hagler
Pernell Whitaker
Floyd Mayweather
Manny Pacquiao
Evander Holyfield
Lennox Lewis
Mike Tyson
Roy Jones
Bernard Hopkins
Julio Cesar Chavez sr


That's just off the top of my head right now, feel free to rip it apart
knockout artist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #55
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,954
vCash: 90000
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins: higher on ATG list than Floyd and Manny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConserveWater View Post
At every angle Floyd and Pac will smoke Bhop.
That's you





That's like me saying 'Roy Jones Jr will be dominated by Joe Calzaghe, in every category, come at me bro'
Oh I rate Roy very much btw, quit putting words in my mouth..
I've said that FLoyd and Pac tops bhop in ATG from the beginning. You've been putting words in my mouth as soon as i bring out the stats. I warned you do not go there bc it will just keep getting worse.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #56
Rexrapper 1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 4,564
vCash: 499
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins: higher on ATG list than Floyd and Manny?

I have Hopkins over both. He dominated a division in a way that Floyd and Manny haven't. He also moved up in weight and became the man at the light heavyweight division. The oldest athlete to win a title. His longevity is off the charts as well.
Rexrapper 1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #57
ConserveWater
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 86
vCash: 500
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins: higher on ATG list than Floyd and Manny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliang1000 View Post
You do know Trinidad started at 140 and bhop at 168 right? Floyd's victory over Corrales, Castillo tops it. THey were both bigger than Floyd not the other way around. And names that top Tito are Oscar and tie with Tito is Shane and JMM.
Overall I agree with most of what you are saying. Didn't mean to sound like a asshole, just got a bit irritated when you say Floyd-Pac DOMINATES and smokes Bernard in terms of ATG Rankings.

I won't mind if Floyd or Pac gets ranked above Bernard, but I think to most intelligent boxing fans and boxing writers/historians agree that neither one 'smokes and destroys' Bernard in terms of resume/accomplishments.

When you say Floyd/Pac Smokes Bernard, that's probably an over exaggeration.

Most people are open to debate, but when one side takes a extremest stance it's pointless.
ConserveWater is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #58
Arcane
One More Time
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,643
vCash: 488
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins: higher on ATG list than Floyd and Manny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
What would that list be?

Mine would read

Sugar Ray Leonard
Thomas Hearns
Marvin Hagler
Pernell Whitaker
Floyd Mayweather
Manny Pacquiao
Evander Holyfield
Lennox Lewis
Mike Tyson
Roy Jones
Bernard Hopkins
Julio Cesar Chavez sr


That's just off the top of my head right now, feel free to rip it apart
No love for Duran?
Arcane is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #59
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,954
vCash: 90000
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins: higher on ATG list than Floyd and Manny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexrapper 1 View Post
I have Hopkins over both. He dominated a division in a way that Floyd and Manny haven't. He also moved up in weight and became the man at the light heavyweight division. The oldest athlete to win a title. His longevity is off the charts as well.
I didn't know the IBF was littered with big names. look at all the top names Bhop fought during his mandatories.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #60
Collie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,600
vCash: 20000
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins: higher on ATG list than Floyd and Manny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
What would that list be?

Mine would read

Sugar Ray Leonard
Thomas Hearns
Marvin Hagler
Pernell Whitaker
Floyd Mayweather
Manny Pacquiao
Evander Holyfield
Lennox Lewis
Mike Tyson
Roy Jones
Bernard Hopkins
Julio Cesar Chavez sr


That's just off the top of my head right now, feel free to rip it apart
I can remember my top 8 I think, Ill try and find the link and put it in here in a minute, I did a top 30. Id probably change it a bit if I revised it again, work in progress.

1. SRL
2. Whitaker
3. Chavez Sr.
4. Pacquaio
5. Mayweather
6. Hagler
7. Hearns
8. Hopkins
9. RJJ
10. Lennox Lewis


Edit: Heres the link to that thread with the full lists in it.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Collie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013