Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
FIN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Are Protein Shakes a must?

Im in the gym around three months,when I started i weighed 11 stone(154 pounds),now im 11 and a half stone,(160 pounds roughly),im five foot 9,have a slim build,waist 30,anyway Im just looking to get a bit bigger,get more muscle,a Bruce Lee type body,in other words ripped with a good bit of muscle but still athletic looking,not bulky..
I go to the gym around 5 days a week,i eat a lot of protein,Tuna,chicken,beans,etc
I was wondering can i get lean muscle without drinking protein shakes,how much extra would they help me if i started drinking them..
FIN is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Are Protein Shakes a must?

No.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut Me Mick View Post
No, far from it. Food is the best source for protein.
In which regard are wholefoods superior?

Despite whey protein being an excellent quality protein source, they aren't necessary.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
FIN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut Me Mick View Post
No, far from it. Food is the best source for protein.
My diet is
Meal 1-Breakfast-Porridge
Meal 2-Snack-Cheese sandwiches on brown bread,beans
Meal 3-Lunch-Can of tuna
Meal 4-Dinner-varies but usually chicken,potatoes,vegtables
Meal 5-2 scoops of Peanut Butter and a bannana
FIN is online now  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
noobboxer_88
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIN View Post
My diet is
Meal 1-Breakfast-Porridge
Meal 2-Snack-Cheese sandwiches on brown bread,beans
Meal 3-Lunch-Can of tuna
Meal 4-Dinner-varies but usually chicken,potatoes,vegtables
Meal 5-2 scoops of Peanut Butter and a bannana
Not sure how much protein is in porridge but if little to none it should be the first meal. Anysource of protein : meat or shake. Most bodybuilders/fitness people who are serious have a protein shake immediately upon waking to stop catabolism (the process of the body converting muscle to fuel). I cant see how protein shakes would hurt before bed after a workout and right upon waking to repair and maintain.
noobboxer_88 is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
FIN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobboxer_88 View Post
Not sure how much protein is in porridge but if little to none it should be the first meal. Anysource of protein : meat or shake. Most bodybuilders/fitness people who are serious have a protein shake immediately upon waking to stop catabolism (the process of the body converting muscle to fuel). I cant see how protein shakes would hurt before bed after a workout and right upon waking to repair and maintain.
The porridge is just because i like it and im not a big eater first thing in the morning..
FIN is online now  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I'll think if you register to a bodybuilding forum like bodybuilding.com, head to the nutrition section you will find that they infact do not.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
noobboxer_88
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Tell that to the pro BB
Old 10-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Tell that to the pro BB
You mean the plenty of pros that align with exactly what I've just said?

See [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and procede to familiarise yourself with the man's work and you'll quickly see that a lot of the traditional bodybuilding dogma is unnecessary.

I hope you also realise that a lot of the nutrition protocols that are pushed by a lot of the IFBB guys are usually driven by some sponsorship related incentive.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Mrtibbs
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1615

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIN View Post
Im in the gym around three months,when I started i weighed 11 stone(154 pounds),now im 11 and a half stone,(160 pounds roughly),im five foot 9,have a slim build,waist 30,anyway Im just looking to get a bit bigger,get more muscle,a Bruce Lee type body,in other words ripped with a good bit of muscle but still athletic looking,not bulky..
I go to the gym around 5 days a week,i eat a lot of protein,Tuna,chicken,beans,etc
I was wondering can i get lean muscle without drinking protein shakes,how much extra would they help me if i started drinking them..

People had lean muscle way before protein shakes were invented, so of course you DONT need them. You mention Bruce lee. Did he use protein shakes?

They are just a much quicker and easier way to get a quick shot of protein considering how busy our lifestyles are now.

Real food would actually be better, but protein shakes are just a quick fix to not being able to eat full meal all the time.
Mrtibbs is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
noobboxer_88
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
You mean the plenty of pros that align with exactly what I've just said?

See [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and procede to familiarise yourself with the man's work and you'll quickly see that a lot of the traditional bodybuilding dogma is unnecessary.

I hope you also realise that a lot of the nutrition protocols that are pushed by a lot of the IFBB guys are usually driven by some sponsorship related incentive.
Fair enough but that doesnt mean the body doesnt go catabolic overnight. So you can still benefit from having a shake first thing. Granted according to that post it can take awhile. Who knows? Maybe tomorrow something new will come out!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
macp1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

all most protein shakes are today, especially MRP's, are just real, whole food with all the shit taken out of it and usually predigested chemically, so you don't waste any time getting the protein into your starving muscles after a workout. MRP's are also good to take advantage of your glycogen window following training.
macp1 is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

You'll find protein in food, which you'll need anyway for its other ingredients. You don't need very large amounts of protein, so there isn't really a need to supplement. You could add it for convenience like most do with a multi-vitamin, but a need there is not. It will likely only make you fart more.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

All that protein stuff they tell you about is bullshit. A grown man only needs 60 grams of protein to maintain his bodyweight; however, you do need enough calories, and obviously not all calories are equal.
ROACH is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtibbs View Post
People had lean muscle way before protein shakes were invented, so of course you DONT need them. You mention Bruce lee. Did he use protein shakes?

They are just a much quicker and easier way to get a quick shot of protein considering how busy our lifestyles are now.

Real food would actually be better, but protein shakes are just a quick fix to not being able to eat full meal all the time.
Bruce Lee actually experimented with making his own protein shakes before they were "invented". Think he mixed raw meat, raw eggs, etc. in a blender and drank it. Saw it on one of the documentaries about him.
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing