Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Foster vs Mike McCallum At LHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas6789 View Post
Could Foster KTFO McCallum?
Oh, yeah, Bob lays down the law on Mike in the second round.Hard.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Mod-Mania
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Foster late ko. Accidently voted by pts.
Mod-Mania is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
FlyingFrenchman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Foster ain't knocking Mike McCallum out! McCallum never came close to being stopped. McCallum was down for the first time in his 52nd pro fight for just a second (he was almost 39 years old) vs. Fabrice Tiozzo. He was almost 40 when Jones dropped him for a second (his 54th pro fight). Nobody else dropped him or even came close. He was never really hurt in 55 pro fights from JMW-CW.

McCallum could take an excellent shot and he was a much better boxer than Foster. So, Foster is taller, with a longer reach, and punches harder. McCallum is better in every other area and his chin would hold up if Foster was able to land a clean punch. I'll take McCallum.
FlyingFrenchman is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
FlyingFrenchman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Tiger, Rondon, and M. Quarry... all impressive KOs, but what other good fighter did he KO?

Tiger was well past prime (it was his 18th loss) and undersized as a LHW. Quarry and even Rondon were fair at best, they were far from a McCallum type of fighter or even a Julian Jackson or Donald Curry type of fighter. McCallum stopped Jackson inside of 2 and Curry inside of 5.

Sure, Foster knocked the crap out of a lot of the fighters he beat... but let's face it, most of these guys were nothing special. He fought some good and great fighters but he lost to most of these guys, badly... LKOby8 Doug Jones, LKOby7 Ernie Terrell, L10 Zora Folley (a near shut out), LKOby2 Joe Frazier, LKOby8 Muhammad Ali. Yes I know, he was a LHW fighting HWs but I bet McCallum would have held up better... even vs. Joe Frazier. I doubt Jones would have stopped McCallum, and I doubt Folley would have almost shut out McCallum.

I like Foster but I think people overrate him sometimes. His highlight reel KOs don't tell the whole story
Old 10-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
Xplosive
Champion
East Side Guru

McCallum gets laid flat.
Xplosive is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Foster's jab would keep McCallum at bay a lot of the time. Foster wins but Mike was durable enough to make it competitive and last the course.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Those that just look at numbers and words on a boxing record miss 80% of the story. I can't see any lt heavyweight this side of Archie Moore beating Foster. Bigger men knocked him out but men of his own weight had a tough time really hurting him. That jab and the power...very tough man to beat.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Two guys that I think are good fighters. Two of my favorites, really. I don't see anybody getting stopped in this one; it would be a very tactical fight. Foster's hook will keep McCallum from getting adventurous in his body punching, plus, Foster keeps his body turned so the hook isn't really available to Mike.
I see this as a close fight and I'm going to go with Foster. Mostly because he was a legit LHW, albeit one that easily made the limit, and McCallum didn't hit that weight until well on in his career. I love McCallum but at LHW he beat the Elvis look alike and that ain't Bob Foster.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
Mod-Mania
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrenchman View Post
Tiger, Rondon, and M. Quarry... all impressive KOs, but what other good fighter did he KO?

Tiger was well past prime (it was his 18th loss) and undersized as a LHW. Quarry and even Rondon were fair at best, they were far from a McCallum type of fighter or even a Julian Jackson or Donald Curry type of fighter. McCallum stopped Jackson inside of 2 and Curry inside of 5.

Sure, Foster knocked the crap out of a lot of the fighters he beat... but let's face it, most of these guys were nothing special. He fought some good and great fighters but he lost to most of these guys, badly... LKOby8 Doug Jones, LKOby7 Ernie Terrell, L10 Zora Folley (a near shut out), LKOby2 Joe Frazier, LKOby8 Muhammad Ali. Yes I know, he was a LHW fighting HWs but I bet McCallum would have held up better... even vs. Joe Frazier. I doubt Jones would have stopped McCallum, and I doubt Folley would have almost shut out McCallum.

I like Foster but I think people overrate him sometimes. His highlight reel KOs don't tell the whole story
You really think McCallum would have lasted 8 rds with Muhammad Ali????
Mod-Mania is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

McCallum was a washed up fat fighter and no more than serviceable at 175.

I would seriously consider murdering anyone who picked McCallum to beat him if they did it in my presence.The sheer contrarian stupidity of it is almost too much to handle.
lora is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #13
FlyingFrenchman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod-Mania View Post
You really think McCallum would have lasted 8 rds with Muhammad Ali????
Nah, not really. It's true that McCallum was past prime when he was at LHW but this is a "Mythical" type of fight. I'm thinking of an at best McCallum who bulks up to 168-175 Lbs for one super fight. He prepares for 6 months, spars all types of fighters, lifts weights, changes his diet, etc.

The LHW almost 40 year old McCallum vs. Foster? I'll take Foster, but I still doubt he stops him.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:55 AM   #14
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'm a McCallum fan, but Foster destroys him quickly. Curry buckled McCallum's knees; Foster decapitates him. He is naturally a much bigger, stronger and harder-hitting fighter who specialized in cracking iron chins. Dick Tiger, though a bit past his best, was still a tank who had never even been close to hearing a ten count in his career. Foster poleaxed him with a single punch.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2013, 03:38 AM   #15
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Eddie Cotton, who had a solid chin and was a talented fighter who'd not been stopped by anything but cuts in over a decade (even Archie Moore couldn't stop him).

Henry Hank was only kayoed once in a 97 bout career. Guess who did it?

Dick Tiger, iron chin, only stopped by KO (not tko) once....by Foster. One punch.

Chris Finnegan. All stoppages were due to cuts except one, where he was starched. The culprit- Bob Foster.

Mike Quarry. Never stopped in 35 fights, then ran into Foster, who stretched him with a single, terrifying shot. Quarry wouldn't be knocked out again for another 6 years.

Quote:
Tiger was well past prime (it was his 18th loss) and undersized as a LHW.
Slightly past it. But was still a world champion who had never been KO'd and had only been beaten 4 times in the past 8 years before meeting Foster: Once by Wilf Greaves (avenged), once by Joey Giardello (avenged), once by Joey Archer and once by Emile Griffith. Foster stopping him was a big accomplishment. Foster stopping him with ONE PUNCH is a frightening accomplishment.

Tiger was more suited for LHW than McCallum (who was a beanpole) imo. Mike was tall and talented, but not strong enough to cope with the ATG light-heavies.

Quote:
Quarry and even Rondon were fair at best, they were far from a McCallum type of fighter or even a Julian Jackson or Donald Curry type of fighter. McCallum stopped Jackson inside of 2 and Curry inside of 5.
Curry was a natural welterweight and Jackson was a young Jr. Middleweight. Quarry and Rondon were legitimate light-heavyweights, both of whom could have beaten comparatively puny guys like Jackson and Curry and also could have beaten any LHW that McCallum beat.

McCallum was buckled by a single punch by welterweight Donald Curry. How's that chin gonna react to a 20 lbs heavier Bob Foster bomb? Goodnight Mike.

Quote:
Good lord my man! Could you be a bigger McCallum fan?? McCallum wouldn't last a single round against Joe Frazier! And he would have gotten beaten a lot worse by the guys you listed above than Foster did. Ali, Terrell, Folley, Jones....those guys CREAM him! He would look laughably scrawny, inept and comical standing in there against fighters of that size and ability. I have no idea why anyone would think otherwise.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum