Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #91
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,986
vCash: 330
Default Re: The Brawl in Montreal - who would defeat Duran on that night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshi View Post
One things for sure, its not Leonard
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #92
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,389
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Brawl in Montreal - who would defeat Duran on that night?

Jose Mantequilla Napoles, especially the '69 version of him, would have beaten Duran that night.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #93
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 75
Default Re: The Brawl in Montreal - who would defeat Duran on that night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Jose Mantequilla Napoles, especially the '69 version of him, would have beaten Duran that night.
Do you feel Monzon and Napoles are unjustly overlooked by some for the 1970s because of Duran's character and cagey ferocity?
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #94
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 2,498
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Brawl in Montreal - who would defeat Duran on that night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I disagree with every word here
big shocker there!
Hookie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #95
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 3,334
vCash: 475
Default Re: The Brawl in Montreal - who would defeat Duran on that night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookie View Post
Pep was a bit past prime vs. the bigger Saddler.

I don't consider Greb better than Tunney and neither do a lot of people.

Hearns almost stopped Barkley prior to getting stopped in their first fight. The rematch was a SD win for Barkley that I felt Hearns should have won.

Bowe got away with a million low blows vs. Holyfield and never lost a point in their first fight. Also, the 11th round knockdown was B.S. (punched in the back of the head/top of neck... still really wasn't down). Figure in those few points and things could have been different (even if it wouldn't have seemd right to some). Holyfield schooled Bowe in their 2nd fight and may have went on to stop him had "Fan Man" not showed up. Holyfield had Bowe almost out in the 6th round of their 3rd fight but had nothing left and was stopped in the 8th (Bowe hadn't really done much to Holyfield for him to be that spent... no way Holyfield was 100%).

Leonard got even better after his fight with Duran. He fought a certain way and did not change his fight plan, he should have... it's not that he couldn't have. No big deal, he lost, but it was close. He schooled Duran in the next 2... could Duran have fought better? Yes... but IMO it wouldn't have mattered. This is why I consider Leonard that better fighter overall... not just because he went 2-1 (1) vs. Duran.
I disagree with every word here especially the contractions which should have been two words in most cases.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:03 AM   #96
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dallas,Texas.
Posts: 17,399
vCash: 1010
Default Re: The Brawl in Montreal - who would defeat Duran on that night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookie View Post
Pep was a bit past prime vs. the bigger Saddler.

I don't consider Greb better than Tunney and neither do a lot of people.

Hearns almost stopped Barkley prior to getting stopped in their first fight. The rematch was a SD win for Barkley that I felt Hearns should have won.

Bowe got away with a million low blows vs. Holyfield and never lost a point in their first fight. Also, the 11th round knockdown was B.S. (punched in the back of the head/top of neck... still really wasn't down). Figure in those few points and things could have been different (even if it wouldn't have seemd right to some). Holyfield schooled Bowe in their 2nd fight and may have went on to stop him had "Fan Man" not showed up. Holyfield had Bowe almost out in the 6th round of their 3rd fight but had nothing left and was stopped in the 8th (Bowe hadn't really done much to Holyfield for him to be that spent... no way Holyfield was 100%).

Leonard got even better after his fight with Duran. He fought a certain way and did not change his fight plan, he should have... it's not that he couldn't have. No big deal, he lost, but it was close. He schooled Duran in the next 2... could Duran have fought better? Yes... but IMO it wouldn't have mattered. This is why I consider Leonard that better fighter overall... not just because he went 2-1 (1) vs. Duran.
I agree what you say about Duran and Leonard. Leonard was the one who showed that using speed and sticking to a gameplan against Duran is the best way to fight him. Don't fight his fight. The irony is the first fight changed Ray and he learned, which is why I say the second fight Leonard would easily beat Duran anytime
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #97
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,986
vCash: 330
Default Re: The Brawl in Montreal - who would defeat Duran on that night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookie View Post
big shocker there!
I wouldn't even know where to begin
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #98
Quick Cash
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 566
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Brawl in Montreal - who would defeat Duran on that night?

Duran of Montreal would've still beaten a backpedaling Ray, in my opinion. Sugar implemented a far wiser strategy on their second go, but external factors had gotten to Roberto by then.
Quick Cash is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #99
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dallas,Texas.
Posts: 17,399
vCash: 1010
Default Re: The Brawl in Montreal - who would defeat Duran on that night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Cash View Post
Duran of Montreal would've still beaten a backpedaling Ray, in my opinion. Sugar implemented a far wiser strategy on their second go, but external factors had gotten to Roberto by then.
I don't see that. Duran had fast hands and if a guy was in range Duran could land. He even landed a little on Tommy Hearns when Tommy started to mix it up with him in round one, and a little in round 2 when Tommy had Duran against the ropes. Duran landed a nice right hand. But Duran's feet were a wide apart, and a guy who moved could make Duran one step behind. Rays foot movement always gives Roberto trouble.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #100
Quick Cash
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 566
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Brawl in Montreal - who would defeat Duran on that night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
I don't see that. Duran had fast hands and if a guy was in range Duran could land. He even landed a little on Tommy Hearns when Tommy started to mix it up with him in round one, and a little in round 2 when Tommy had Duran against the ropes. Duran landed a nice right hand. But Duran's feet were a wide apart, and a guy who moved could make Duran one step behind. Rays foot movement always gives Roberto trouble.
I concede that, historically, foot movement did give him the most trouble. Quick feet generally reduces the action to sporadic clashes, thereby allowing an educated puncher to pick his spots with an incoming opponent. However, Duran was not only quick himself, but also measured in his approach; I doubt very much that he'd fall for such a strategy. In fact, the whole of it strikes me less as a brilliant ploy than a rather well-timed one. Had the Panamanian entered physically at a 100%, I see Leonard eventually being drawn to a similar brawl, as seen in their earlier encounter.
Quick Cash is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:08 AM   #101
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,389
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Brawl in Montreal - who would defeat Duran on that night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
Do you feel Monzon and Napoles are unjustly overlooked by some for the 1970s because of Duran's character and cagey ferocity?
Yes. Duran was a fiery, exciting personality, and more colorful, to add to his being a great fighter, but I honestly think Monzon and Napoles were even better. Both would have beaten Duran at their respective best weights.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #102
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 3,334
vCash: 475
Default Re: The Brawl in Montreal - who would defeat Duran on that night?

Also, perhaps more importantly, Duran lingered on the world stage longer picking up some wins, quite a few losses but more significantly exposure. Although their title reigns overlapped to a large degree, Duran was much the youngest and so was able to hang on for the Vegas years of boxing.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #103
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,389
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Brawl in Montreal - who would defeat Duran on that night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Also, perhaps more importantly, Duran lingered on the world stage longer picking up some wins, quite a few losses but more significantly exposure. Although their title reigns overlapped to a large degree, Duran was much the youngest and so was able to hang on for the Vegas years of boxing.
This is all true LittleRed,...this is what I meant to say..
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #104
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 2,498
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Brawl in Montreal - who would defeat Duran on that night?

Look, I'm not saying Duran wasn't great... I'm just saying that Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, and even Benitez were better IMO. Some of you act like he had an easy night vs. Leonard in their first fight, and that's a lie.

Duran fought the best fight of his career and won a close fight vs. a very good Leonard. I feel that Leonard was better in other fights and that Leonard would have beaten the so called unbeatable "Montreal Duran".

Just my opinion, don't get all shook up over it because you think I disrespected your hero.

I remember Duran struggling vs. Buchanan (resorting to very rough tactics) before stopping him in the 13th.

I remember him getting dropped twice (in 2 seperate fights) and struggling vs. DeJesus in their 3 fights... losing to him once.

He beat Leonard by close decision in 1980 then lost to him 5 months later, LTKOby8. In 1982 he lost to Benitez. In 1983 he lost to Hagler (gave him a pretty tough night). In 1984 he wasknockedthe****out by Hearns in the 2nd round.

Wins over Lampkin and Palomino are good but not legendary.

The win over Barkley was super close and could have went either way. A great fight vs. one of the most hot and cold fighters ever!

Hey, I loved watching Duran fight but some of you guys are just too much. It's starting to get comical. Montreal Duran, Tokyo Douglas, 1992 Bowe...
Hookie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #105
Pacman2011
newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Brawl in Montreal - who would defeat Duran on that night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookie View Post
Look, I'm not saying Duran wasn't great... I'm just saying that Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, and even Benitez were better IMO. Some of you act like he had an easy night vs. Leonard in their first fight, and that's a lie.

Duran fought the best fight of his career and won a close fight vs. a very good Leonard. I feel that Leonard was better in other fights and that Leonard would have beaten the so called unbeatable "Montreal Duran".

Just my opinion, don't get all shook up over it because you think I disrespected your hero.

I remember Duran struggling vs. Buchanan (resorting to very rough tactics) before stopping him in the 13th.

I remember him getting dropped twice (in 2 seperate fights) and struggling vs. DeJesus in their 3 fights... losing to him once.

He beat Leonard by close decision in 1980 then lost to him 5 months later, LTKOby8. In 1982 he lost to Benitez. In 1983 he lost to Hagler (gave him a pretty tough night). In 1984 he wasknockedthe****out by Hearns in the 2nd round.

Wins over Lampkin and Palomino are good but not legendary.

The win over Barkley was super close and could have went either way. A great fight vs. one of the most hot and cold fighters ever!

Hey, I loved watching Duran fight but some of you guys are just too much. It's starting to get comical. Montreal Duran, Tokyo Douglas, 1992 Bowe...
no one will ever agree with you dude. this is the truth!! you said!!! "He beat Leonard by close decision in 1980 then lost to him 5 months later, LTKOby8. In 1982 he lost to Benitez. In 1983 he lost to Hagler (gave him a pretty tough night). In 1984 he wasknockedthe****out by Hearns in the 2nd round. " But the guy had an excuse allll those times!!!! take care my man.
Pacman2011 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013