Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
Dynamito_2012
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Is Lucas Matthysse overrated?

looking at the opponents his faced and knocked out, would you say he's overrated? I understand that he's knocked the majority of his opponents out, but they were just c level fighters from Argentina.

If he comes up against a real test, againsst someone who is a good boxer with good power and speed, how well will he fair then?
Dynamito_2012 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330
Default Re: Is Lucas Matthysse overrated?

well he got robbed against alexander and judah. plus he destroyed soto.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Oh come on now...just because he scored a KD does not mean he got robbed. IMO, Zab's jab dictated the pace for most of the fight and he won more rounds than Matthysse through pure ring generalship...plain and simple.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
janeschicken
hard work! deadicayshin!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gaul View Post
Oh come on now...just because he scored a KD does not mean he got robbed. IMO, Zab's jab dictated the pace for most of the fight and he won more rounds than Matthysse through pure ring generalship...plain and simple.
He lost by Split Decision in both Alexander and Judah's back yards respecitively (St, Louis and New Jersey). It's quite obvious he deserved the nod in both fights.
janeschicken is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeschicken View Post
He lost by Split Decision in both Alexander and Judah's back yards respecitively (St, Louis and New Jersey). It's quite obvious he deserved the nod in both fights.
I'm not being testy here but why is it so obvious to you that he won? It was very clear to me that Zab controlled the pace of the fight and slipped /blocked many shots that appeared to land. Rounds 3,4 and 6 were very close rounds so maybe you gave all 3 to Lucas?
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
mrjotatp4p
THE ONE
East Side Guru

No he isn't.
mrjotatp4p is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
shimmy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I don't think he's overrated. I for one just find him fun to watch, he's in exciting fights and is clearly one of the top fighters in the 140 division at this time. There is a lot of interesting fights to be made in that division right now, and most of them would be made better if he is a part of them. I'd love to see him in with Garcia next.
shimmy is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
saul_ir34
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 675

Well when he was scheduled to fight Morales a year ago I was literally scared for Morales health. With the Danny fights I knew Morales would lose but never was scared for his health.

Alright so you are bringing up his Argentine past. You know he recently moved to the USA to train and just started training with Sergio Martinez. His training regime has improved and so have his performances.
The big knock on him was always that he started late in his fights. This was obviously a big mistake against slick fighters Judah and Alexander. Judah fought the fight of his life that night and still should have lost. Alexander is a guy who is known for being tough and does not mind to trade also a very big LWW. Another fight where Matthysse started late but once he got going Alexander was literally running from Matthysse. He tasted the power and did not want any of it. Need I remind you Alexander just fought Bailey who is known for his punching power at WW and after getting hit with 2 consecutive flush right hands from Bailey he was never stunned and kept wanting to trade with Bailey.

Matthysse is only getting better. He has tightened up his defense and his power can bail him out of fights at any time as he carries his power 12 rounds. The problems he has had is his height in my opinion. He is only 5'6" which means he can be outboxed by taller fighters with jabs. Even when fighters have tried that thoguh he is good enough and has the power to put them down.
saul_ir34 is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
it does actually. I thought the two won 6 rounds a piece, the KD was the difference.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
recycling
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Most of mathysse recent opponents did try and box him. And they were southpaw. If Alexander went 12 I think it would be a clear robbery for mathysse since he was owning the second half of that fight except 9. Fact is mathysse eventually got to the boxers and knocking each of em down. Soto never koed and gave Alexander his first kd koed ajose. and they were all faster then him. There are really no other boxers type at light welter for him to face although I'm probably wrong here
recycling is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Heavy Handed
I keep planets in orbit
ESB Addict

No, he's a bit under rated actually. He is the real king of 140 IMO. Garcia got that mantle by the path of least resistance.
Heavy Handed is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 191

Quote:
I'm not being testy here but why is it so obvious to you that he won? It was very clear to me that Zab controlled the pace of the fight and slipped /blocked many shots that appeared to land. Rounds 3,4 and 6 were very close rounds so maybe you gave all 3 to Lucas?
He should of knocked out Judah if he wanted to win , but he couldn't.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
miniq
神風
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

He deserves to fight for the belts @ 140

So face the 'best' fighters @ 140

He himself is defintly one of the best @ 140

Nothing to overrate.
miniq is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Little Pea
'A' grade boxing fan
East Side Guru

vCash: 806

Being overrated is not a fact.
It's an opinion.
So your question is wrong.
It should be "do you think he is overrated?"

I can't answer your question in his actual form.
And nobody should even try to.
Little Pea is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
CASH_718
"You ****ed Healy?"
East Side Guru

vCash: 1644

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Both close fights I had Alexander just winning and Judah just losing and Soto is a blown up fighter that could never beat world class guys at 130 yet jumped all the way to 140 and just got raped by a guy that he had no shot against. Plus Soto got overrated.

Matthyesse is very good but people are acting like he's unbeatable. He is overrated but it's not his fault. He COULD beat most guys at 140 but he could also get outboxed by a few and I honestly think Rios could slug with him and win. Rios is honestly faster and more skilled then Matthysse but no one will ever admit it because Rios sucks on this site.
CASH_718 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum