Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Is this a saying used by cunts and cunts only?
Yes 12 66.67%
No, I like robberies 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Vidic
Rest in Peace Manny
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Is there a stupider saying than 'You have to TAKE the belt from the champ to win'

Used by fans?

I can understand if this is said as an observation that the champion will be favoured by his home crowd/the judges, but when it is used to try and indicate that there is somehow a different scoring criteria and method of victory for the challenger, it absolutely disgusts me.
Vidic is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

Default Re: Is there a stupider saying than 'You have to TAKE the belt from the champ to win'

if both guys fought to a draw, the champ retains the belt. but this saying is old school that challenger needs to exert more effort to win rounds. you can give clise rounds to a challenger if you felt he edged it.
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: Is there a stupider saying than 'You have to TAKE the belt from the champ to win'

Thankfully, it's getting used less and less nowadays.

Another one that disgusts me is: He made the fight boring, so he deserved to lose. Often cited when people talk about Abril not getting the decision he deserved to against Rios. As well as Molina against Kirkland.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Vidic
Rest in Peace Manny
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post
if both guys fought to a draw, the champ retains the belt. but this saying is old school that challenger needs to exert more effort to win rounds. you can give clise rounds to a challenger if you felt he edged it.
You give the rounds to the people won them
Vidic is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Vidic
Rest in Peace Manny
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post

Another one that disgusts me is: He made the fight boring, so he deserved to lose. Often cited when people talk about Abril not getting the decision he deserved to against Rios. As well as Molina against Kirkland.
Equally disgusting
Vidic is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

Well, it shouldn't be true. But, fighters should be aware of situations where the deck is stacked against them, and act accordingly, if they want to be realists. I mean, we know what the ideal is, but...
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
miniq
神風
East Side Guru

Since when do Judges take into account that one of the fighters is a champion & that influences the way they score?

Possibly give rounds which are extremely hard to score to them? (Normally scored 10-10?)
miniq is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Hook!
Proud member of team G.
ESB Addict

vCash: 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic View Post
Used by fans?

I can understand if this is said as an observation that the champion will be favoured by his home crowd/the judges, but when it is used to try and indicate that there is somehow a different scoring criteria and method of victory for the challenger, it absolutely disgusts me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post

Hook! is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

It's no different that fighting in a guys hometown or in the case of German fighters, home country. The judges are going to be looking at the challenger with much more scrutiny than the local guy, that's just the way it is in boxing. It's bullshit, but that's how it is.

Look at Mallinaggi over Cano last weekend. I think Cano won the fight, threw more punches, connected with more power punches etc. but Paulie got the nod.

Same with championship fights. The challenger has to bring more to the table than the champ to take the crown. If the rounds are close or even, chances are the judge will give it to the champ. And truth be known, sometimes the challenger rises to the occasion and takes the fight to the champ, beats him clearly by all accounts---------then the judges rob the poor bastard anyway.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Well, it shouldn't be true. But, fighters should be aware of situations where the deck is stacked against them, and act accordingly, if they want to be realists. I mean, we know what the ideal is, but...

Garrus is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174

I don't like that saying whatsoever. Once the opening bell rings, the belt is on the line: it doesn't belong to either fighter. The fighter who wins the most rounds wins the belt. Each round should be scored solely on the performances in that round.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Hagler used to say that. It means the advantage will be with the champion since he has the belt and the credit, so you have to do everything better and prove more since you are not the champion and do not have those accolades. Hagler used to always say " a champion has to fight like a challenger to win sometimes".
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
Post Box
I'm back too, bitches
East Side Guru

Hi, I heard that DDDUUDDDE is back, can anyone anyone confirm this? because if he is then I would like to greet him on his return, and if not, then well I guess my own reappearance is fruitless.
Post Box is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #14
Vidic
Rest in Peace Manny
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post Box View Post
Hi, I heard that DDDUUDDDE is back, can anyone anyone confirm this? because if he is then I would like to greet him on his return, and if not, then well I guess my own reappearance is fruitless.
He's back!
Vidic is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
DanishFightfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 4021

I have never heard of any rules in boxing or any actual documentations for this cliche to be true.. However i guess that the judges may be a slightly biased towards the champion.
But there are plenty of close championship fights where the decision went in favour of the challenger...
DanishFightfan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum