Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-24-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Seth Mitchell vs Jonathon Banks

Who do you pick? I never seen Banks, him being Klitschko sparring partner makes me think he is durable or evasive. Seth Mitchell is strong, has punch, but is still learning.
Danmann is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
damian38
El Chicano- #1 GGG fan
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Seth Mitchell vs Jonathon Banks

Banks got KO'd by Adamek, Mitchell packs a heavier punch than Goral, also, I'm betting Seth's HBO's favorite to win this
damian38 is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Good and tough matchup for Mitchell. He should win this but Banks isn't a journeyman by any stretch of imagination.
madballster is online now  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Banks is a sharp counter puncher with good hand speed and very good instincts. He looks to counter early and often and is equally comfortable doing so with the left hook as he is with that dangerous right hand. He's rare in that he often appears to use counter punching as his defense...which can be rather dangerous because he's never been a KO puncher.

He also earned the dreaded "chinny" label after the Adamek fight but I honestly believe that result could be attributed as much to his conditioning and the inherent flaws of his style(see above) as to any problems with punch resistance.

I like Banks as a fighter and I think he'll bring things to the table that Mitchell has never seen before. Ultimately though, the winner will be decided by how much Seth learned from the Spoon fight. Mitchell MUST move his head and be patient or run the risk of getting hit repeatedly with flush left hooks and straight rights. Even a relatively light puncher like Banks will hurt him badly if presented with this kind of an opportunity.

I'm not ready to make a final prediction until I see the weigh-in and get an update on how Seth's hand has healed. With that said, if Mitchell is 100% and in great shape, I see him eventually overwhelming Banks with his body attack and physicality.

Last edited by Son of Gaul; 10-24-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 8600

Delete
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
UnleashtheFURY
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 96

It's a toss up... Mitchell is extremely overrated, I don't see why banks couldn't win a decision. Could really go either way if you ask me.
UnleashtheFURY is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian38 View Post
... also, I'm betting Seth's HBO's favorite to win this
^ This. It's pretty much guaranteed that the fix is in.

Banks would have to KO Mitchell, and while Mitchell isn't exactly a master of the fine art of defense, I still don't see that happening. Banks is reasonably fast & aggressive, but he doesn't have tons of power, and Mitchell seems to have a pretty good chin.

My prediction: Mitchell will get inside early and hurt Banks with one of those wild flurrys, then Banks will back off. For the rest of the fight, Banks will potshot from the outside, easily outscoring Mitchell.

Then the judges will give it to Mitchell on the cards.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
SweetHome_Bama
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 10918

Banks by KO in the 1st round.
SweetHome_Bama is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
UnleashtheFURY
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
^ This. It's pretty much guaranteed that the fix is in.

Banks would have to KO Mitchell, and while Mitchell isn't exactly a master of the fine art of defense, I still don't see that happening. Banks is reasonably fast & aggressive, but he doesn't have tons of power, and Mitchell seems to have a pretty good chin.

My prediction: Mitchell will get inside early and hurt Banks with one of those wild flurrys, then Banks will back off. For the rest of the fight, Banks will potshot from the outside, easily outscoring Mitchell.

Then the judges will give it to Mitchell on the cards.
I wouldn't say he has a "Good chin", Witherspoon had him in trouble when they fought..

But yeah Mitchell probably gets outboxed here I agree.. still sort of a toss up fight though.
UnleashtheFURY is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashtheFURY View Post
I wouldn't say he has a "Good chin", Witherspoon had him in trouble when they fought..
True, but to be fair, 1: Witherspoon has a lot more power than Banks, and 2: He hit Mitchell with a lot of shots, and still couldn't put him away, then of course Mitchell came back & completely dominated him.

That's definitely my definition of "a pretty good chin." Not Ali, not Chavez Jr, but good enough to survive a Jonathan Banks onslaught, I think. - Esp since Banks will likely be afraid to really engage.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
True, but to be fair, 1: Witherspoon has a lot more power than Banks, and 2: He hit Mitchell with a lot of shots, and still couldn't put him away, then of course Mitchell came back & completely dominated him.

That's definitely my definition of "a pretty good chin." Not Ali, not Chavez Jr, but good enough to survive a Jonathan Banks onslaught, I think. - Esp since Banks will likely be afraid to really engage.
Read my full post above...

I definitely wouldn't say Banks is "afraid" to engage anyone. He just happens to be a counterpuncher so he doesn't really initiate exchanges.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
FloydPatterson
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 976

Banks won't get away with that leaving his Lead Hand down BS. Mitchell by Mid round destruction, after Early Body Work.
FloydPatterson is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydPatterson View Post
Banks won't get away with that leaving his Lead Hand down BS. Mitchell by Mid round destruction, after Early Body Work.
I agree that this is dangerous against big punchers like Mitchell but ,in all fairness, he does that so you don't see the left hook coming.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #14
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashtheFURY View Post
It's a toss up... Mitchell is extremely overrated, I don't see why banks couldn't win a decision. Could really go either way if you ask me.
I think Mitchell is a bit overrated, and I think it is because people are so desperate for an American fighter to step up big in heavyweight division. He can punch, is willing, and I think his stamina might be deciding point.

Is fight televised? I see HBO has a special Friday, I think it is called the final days, or final 48 hours, something like that. I figured they must be televising it, but don't see it on schedule.
Danmann is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #15
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmann View Post
I think Mitchell is a bit overrated, and I think it is because people are so desperate for an American fighter to step up big in heavyweight division. He can punch, is willing, and I think his stamina might be deciding point.

Is fight televised? I see HBO has a special Friday, I think it is called the final days, or final 48 hours, something like that. I figured they must be televising it, but don't see it on schedule.
It's definitely being televised by HBO on Nov. 17...

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum