Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

 
  


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #211
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 760
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Fantastic thread ELECTRIC GURU, and one that makes even the most ardent of fans/haters sit up and pay attention.
It was an amazing performance when you consider that shot, bloated, brittle boned Calzaghe having only his 2nd fight at the weight takes on another top 10 fighter of the division and shows skill that you rarely see in a modern ring to completely bamboozle the home fighter for the 2nd time in a row
Roy Jones is from New York?
Mind Reader is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #212
HerolGee
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Whilst injecting yourself with anabolic steroids won't immediately make you faster, fitter or stronger, you're not quite being clear.

Anabolic steroids increase the recovery time of muscles after they've been broken down through physical exertion. In turn, this means that athletes (be it footballers, boxers, tennis players) can increase the intensity of their training, because of reduced recovery time. More intense training means you can work harder to perfect your craft, you're fitter faster and stronger. So yes anabolic steroids can increase speed, power and with increased training, technique. They can't turn me into Usain Bolt, but through using them I can become quicker than I am now - The key words here being 'can become'. For a professional boxer, who trains for weeks and months at a time at a high intensity, you simply cannot ignore the benefits that banned PED's would bring

My source? Talking to people who have experience with performance enhancers. Also being close friends with a doctor

Yeah... no.

Anabolics work specifically on protein, that which makes up muscle.

The increase in Basal Metabolic rate that you are referring to is what happens with any muscle gain - ie if you gain muscle through weight traning ALONE, then you get an increase in basal metabolic rate. In other words the effect is secondary to the muscle gain, not the drug.

So the guy using anabolics and weights and guy using weights without anabolics to gain the same amount of muscle will experience the same increase in BMR.

The one truth in your argument is that it takes less effort and time to gain the muscle using anabolics, thus freeing up a little more time for other kinds of training. But some careful planning of training in advance gets you to the same place without anabolics.

Yeah, my source. Consultant cardiologist's mouth. I dont want to boast, but everyone in my year would agree with me and disagree with you.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #213
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,566
vCash: 75
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
Roy Jones is from New York?
Nope, he aint even from New Jersey
irishny is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #214
HerolGee
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELECTRIC GURU View Post
Oh dear, herol's just been schooled again
med schooled, my dear man. Not that you'd have guessed by now.

But I did give you every chance. Noone can say I'm not a nice bloke.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #215
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 2666
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerolGee View Post
Yeah... no.

Anabolics work specifically on protein, that which makes up muscle.

The increase in Basal Metabolic rate that you are referring to is what happens with any muscle gain - ie if you gain muscle through weight traning ALONE, then you get an increase in basal metabolic rate. In other words the effect is secondary to the muscle gain, not the drug.

So the guy using anabolics and weights and guy using weights to gain the same amount of muscle will experience the same increase in BMR.

The one truth in your argument is that it takes less effort and time to gain the muscle using anabolics, thus freeing up a little more time for other kinds of training. But some careful planning of training in advance gets you to the same place without anabolics.

Yeah, my source. Consultant cardiologist's mouth. I dont want to boast, but everyone in my year would agree with me and disagree with you.


Why are you only talking specifically in the context of weight lifting? When boxers train, they break down muscles in their legs, stomach and back as well as their arms. Hence, these benefits will be experienced in different parts of the body, which allows for a more vigorous training schedule - meaning superior speed, stamina, strength and technique

There's a reason why boxers have used illegal performance enhancers in the past, and there's a reason why they're banned . If you want to argue that they're not really beneficial then good luck with that!
knockout artist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #216
HerolGee
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Why are you only talking specifically in the context of weight lifting? When boxers train, they break down muscles in their legs, stomach and back as well as their arms. Hence, these benefits will be experienced in different parts of the body, which allows for a more vigorous training schedule - meaning superior speed, stamina, strength and technique

There's a reason why boxers have used illegal performance enhancers in the past, and there's a reason why they're banned . If you want to argue that they're not really beneficial then good luck with that!

if you want to assume that I'm arguing that, then good luck with that assumption, is what you mean.

Its interesting that you'd say 'break down muscles' in a discussion on anabolic steroids. You shouldnt do that to yourself.

Always read before you bleed.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #217
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 760
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELECTRIC GURU View Post
because he knew there was a 'get out' with the andro story in the fact that it was only classed as a steroid by the IBF.
Andro is an anabolic steroid period, but was banned by the IBF.. So Roy admitting to taking a supplement that contained an anabolic steroid, that was banned by the IBF, to cover up what?
Mind Reader is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #218
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 614
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Why are you only talking specifically in the context of weight lifting? When boxers train, they break down muscles in their legs, stomach and back as well as their arms. Hence, these benefits will be experienced in different parts of the body, which allows for a more vigorous training schedule - meaning superior speed, stamina, strength and technique

There's a reason why boxers have used illegal performance enhancers in the past, and there's a reason why they're banned . If you want to argue that they're not really beneficial then good luck with that!
no pal. boxers risk their entire reputation because they know PEDs will make their performance levels worse
ELECTRIC GURU is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #219
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 2666
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerolGee View Post
if you want to assume that I'm arguing that, then good luck with that assumption, is what you mean.

Always read before you bleed.

If you want to convince yourself that banned anabolic steroids can't bring boxers any valuable advantages, then by all means go ahead. Word to the wise though, don't be surprised if people don't take you seriously. I'm sure you're a smart guy in person herol, maybe you've just had difficulties conveying that on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELECTRIC GURU View Post
no pal. boxers risk their entire reputation because they know PEDs will make their performance levels worse

Someone needs to put herol in contact with the commissions, lift the ban on steroids, apparently they reduce performance levels!
knockout artist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #220
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 614
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
Andro is an anabolic steroid period, but was banned by the IBF.. So Roy admitting to taking a supplement that contained an anabolic steroid, that was banned by the IBF, to cover up what?
dude, gotta shoot, will be back on tomoro to answer and debate
ELECTRIC GURU is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #221
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 760
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishny View Post
Nope, he aint even from New Jersey

Funny when Europeans say fighting in Vegas and New York is an American's "back yard" or "home" like they don't have to get on planes and sleep in their own beds.

Vegas feels just as foreign to me as anywhere else..
Mind Reader is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #222
MAJR
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,292
vCash: 744
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoneyTeam1 View Post
Going by the thread starters logic Amir Khan and Danny Garcia are ATGs each for beating Barrera and Morales.

Retard. Calzaghe only went to America when the best fighters were shot as much as the houses in Palestine. Overrated. Fellow Brits are stupid.

Ward>Calzaghe. Why? Because it's true.
"When the best fighters were shot"? Would that be Bernard Hopkins who was still in the top Pound for Pound list a year or so after he lost to Calzaghe and was still dominating the Light Heavyweight Division until the tail end of 2011?
MAJR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #223
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,566
vCash: 75
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJR View Post
"When the best fighters were shot"? Would that be Bernard Hopkins who was still in the top Pound for Pound list a year or so after he lost to Calzaghe and was still dominating the Light Heavyweight Division until the tail end of 2011?
Perhaps..can ANY of that be said for Jones though?
irishny is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #224
timeout
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bitchfield - England, UK
Posts: 6,302
vCash: 506
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

The Team Elite generals are really taking the thread to another level.

And exposing that Joe is truly a legend that we will not see again in our lifetime.
timeout is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #225
HerolGee
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
If you want to convince yourself that banned anabolic steroids can't bring boxers any valuable advantages, then by all means go ahead. Word to the wise though, don't be surprised if people don't take you seriously. I'm sure you're a smart guy in person herol, maybe you've just had difficulties conveying that on here
again, you mean to say, its you who wants to be convinced I am saying banned anabolic steroids cant bring boxers advantages, because if I did say that, it allows you the false conviction to fabricate your 'word to wise' speech. If you'd followed what I wrote you wouldnt be writing that.

I am sure you'd feel shortchanged if I fabricated that you claimed Calzaghe could beat a prime Jones, Holyfield and Ali. But I feel no insecure need to make false suggestions about your post content.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013