Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #376
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760
Default Re: Was Calzaghe's masterclass V Roy Jones the most . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Not sure how you came to that conclussion when all I have done is produced scientific facts that all roads lead to Calzaghe

Those beat who beat who beat who form line theories are shit..

I know this, because all we have to do is swap Calzaghe's place with many of those fighters in the "form line" and Joe leaves on a stretcher.

You have gone off the deep end.
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #377
Rico Spadafora
Best Chin On ESB
East Side VIP

vCash: 1158

Calzaghe schooled the Glass Jawed Jones who other than a forearm smash couldn't do anything to Calzaghe. Jones got schooled and embarrassed.

Fight wasn't even competitive. At all.
Rico Spadafora is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #378
skier47
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

No, I'm done here. The thread starter has expressed his desire to end the discussion and i respect his wish. However, if you think Joe used steroids you know nothing about steroid use and abuse. i lifted naturally for years in my twenties and saw steroid monkeys on a daily basis. They looked a lot like Jones in the Ruiz fight. They came into the gym as skinny, insecure kids and emerged after about a year looking like chimps. God only knows what they did to their balls and their livers but we all make choices.
skier47 is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #379
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Spadafora View Post
Calzaghe schooled the Glass Jawed Jones who other than a forearm smash couldn't do anything to Calzaghe. Jones got schooled and embarrassed.

Fight wasn't even competitive. At all.

Why would it be competitive? Roy was no longer an elite fighter, Calzaghe admitted this multiple times..

But after Roy destroyed the amazing Prince Ajamu, out gunned a prime hungry warrior in Anthony Hanshaw, Joe was curious..

It was the amazing come from behind victory over prime ATG Tito Trinidad fighting at his best weight is what made Joe realize Roy was back...
Old 01-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #380
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier47 View Post
No, I'm done here. The thread starter has expressed his desire to end the discussion and i respect his wish. However, if you think Joe used steroids you know nothing about steroid use and abuse. i lifted naturally for years in my twenties and saw steroid monkeys on a daily basis. They looked a lot like Jones in the Ruiz fight. They came into the gym as skinny, insecure kids and emerged after about a year looking like chimps. God only knows what they did to their balls and their livers but we all make choices.

Never said Joe used steriods. Just said it is foolish to assume for sure what he has or has not put into his body based on what his build is...

The anti-doping organizations need to say to hell with the tests then and hire you, since you can tell by looking at a person, you would save them thousands.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #381
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier47 View Post

Roy also used Mackie Shilstone to get to HW, he is one of the best and strategically trained Roy to pack on muscle and retain his speed... He was not near as ripped at HW as I have seen him, but he was bigger.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #382
realsoulja
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
Ha! Bailey had a birthday yesterday. I've never seen him so excited.
I was wondering why bailey is so excited in the latter part of this thread he has been getting owned on. Where is the fun that I am missing? Some peoples idea of fun is cocaine and some bitches:-

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Other peoples idea of fun is pwning minions on ESB. But then I realised bailey is having fun from his new boxrec game But who are we to criticize another grown man having fun. One man's boredom could be another man's fun.

Quote:
Ward - lost to D Boone, who lost to Pascal, who lost to Froch, who lost to Kessler, who lost to Calzaghe

Play the game. Lets continue, its fun

bailey is having the funnest time of his funny ESB career, and it is not the way of a gentleman to disturb another mans fun if it is not harming none.

Quote:
Ha! You can have hours of fun!
realsoulja is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #383
realsoulja
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 587

bailey having fun
- The road to Evander Holyfield that Calzaghe never took

Quote:
Evander Holyfield - lost to Ruiz, who lost to Jones, who lost to Calzaghe

Quote:
Play the game. Lets continue, its fun
realsoulja is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #384
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

skier47,

Quote:
Wow, criticizing the great undefeated Joe Calzaghe for taking a few less than impressive opponents over his long, storied career.
You said that Joe represented everything that was awesome about boxing.

Quote:
Roy Jones fought retired police officers and assorted cab drivers time after time and got knocked down in his prime by Lou del Valle.
That's all he fought right?

Joe's best win is either Kessler or Lacy. What does that tell you about a 46 fight career?

Quote:
Joe humiliated Omar Sheika who was highly touted by Ring magazine within five rounds; the same Omar who had just defeated Glen Johnson.
Wow!

Quote:
Jones in a craven display of cowardice refused to fight Dariusz Michalczewski describing him as a very dangerous opponent during a televised interview. Pathetic.
Yes. That''s why Roy sent Brad Jacobs to meet with Kerry Davis of HBO to make the fight in 2001. They made several attempts to negotiate with Peter Kohl who was DM's advisor/promoter, and he was never available to discuss terms. Kohl also turned down HBO's proposal of staging a double header to promote the fight, which would have been a ridiculous thing to do, had they been genuinely interested in making the fight. Murad Muhammad says that DM was making between $1-1.5M defending his WBO belt in Germany. He turned down a $5M offer from HBO, to instead fight Hall, Harmon and Joey De Grandis.

That's how bad DM and Kohl wanted the Roy Jones fight.

They turned down the opportunity to unify the whole division, and the opportunity to make $5M, to fight Joey De Grandis for $1-1.5m. They must have wanted Roy real bad. You can have the links if you wish.

Quote:
Jones has been proven as a steroid cheat while Joe with his very average build obviously wouldn't know a steroid injection from a turnip.
Nothing wrong with having a few Christopher Reeve smarties.

Quote:
Tried to pull out of the Lacy fight.? Well when they fought he gave one of the great masterclass boxing displays in fistic history destroying Lacy forever.
The point is, it showed you his mindset. He claimed he chased Roy for years and was desperate to fight him, yet he nearly pulled out of fighting Lacy. Makes perfect sense.

Also, who had Lacy beaten prior to facing Joe?

Quote:
Joe was the fighter who twice came to America and dominated both Hopkins and Jones.
He dominated Hopkins? I must have missed that.

Roy Jones was DOMINATED and knocked cold, FOUR years EARLIER by Glen Johnson.

Quote:
He took the risk to go into enemy territory and emerged victorious to retire undefeated like Joe's hero, the great one, Rocky Marciano.
There was little risk in fighting Roy at that stage. He hadn't fought at elite level for 3 years, and he hadn't won at elite level for 5 years.

Joe's wasn't fit to lace The Rock's gloves. He stayed in Europe defending his WBO belt that was worth a packet of peanuts until 2007. He unified against Kessler (who'd beaten how many great fighters?) after TEN years.

He then finally went to America and up to 175, but he was about 7 years too late.

I can remember in 2004, when he told the press that he had to go to America, and move up to 175 for the big fights.

It took him another 4 years to get there!

He must have hired a pedallo from Cardigan Bay with Enzo.

The guy had no intentions of going over in the late 90's or early 00's. It was too dangerous. He was content doing what DM was doing in Germany. He was happy defending his Walkers crisps belt for decent money, against average competition.

Quote:
I will agree with you on one point. My intelligence is superior
I'm sure everyone reading will agree.

Last edited by Loudon; 01-25-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #385
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsoulja View Post
I was wondering why bailey is so excited in the latter part of this thread he has been getting owned on. Where is the fun that I am missing? Some peoples idea of fun is cocaine and some bitches:-

Other peoples idea of fun is pwning minions on ESB. But then I realised bailey is having fun from his new boxrec game But who are we to criticize another grown man having fun. One man's boredom could be another man's fun.

bailey is having the funnest time of his funny ESB career, and it is not the way of a gentleman to disturb another mans fun if it is not harming none.
Ha!
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #386
moneypaysbills
That's Mr moneypaysbills
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
skier47,

Joe's best win is either Kessler or Lacy. What does that tell you about a 46 fight career?
Alright Mate?

how you been?

Without looking at the rest of the post wouldn't you say Hopkins was a better win than Lacy? In hindsight at least

moneypaysbills is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #387
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypaysbills View Post
Alright Mate?

how you been?

Without looking at the rest of the post wouldn't you say Hopkins was a better win than Lacy? In hindsight at least

Hi pal, I'm good thanks. Yeah I'll give you that, but personally I don't think he beat him. I had it as a draw.

To be honest I'd like to see a poll, because Kessler is the name that gets thrown around the most, when talking about his best win.

I think everyone agrees that Lacy was his best performance.

I know Bailey thinks that probably the Eubank win his is best.

But people associate the Kessler win, with him unifying the titles, and he was undefeated of course.

Personally, I'd have to say it was the Kessler win.

Eubank was past his best, and he only had 11 days notice. Although Bailey has a point, that after he fought Joe, he fought two terrific fights against Carl Thompson, who went on to beat Haye.

Lacy was never that good to begin with in my opinion, and would have ran into trouble as soon as he faced any great boxer with speed.

So it's Kessler for me.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #388
moneypaysbills
That's Mr moneypaysbills
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Hi pal, I'm good thanks. Yeah I'll give you that, but personally I don't think he beat him. I had it as a draw.
Fair enough it was a close result, but I still score it by a shade to Calzaghe. On the context that Joe did win, you would agree that it is a better win then lacy right?

Quote:
To be honest I'd like to see a poll, because Kessler is the name that gets thrown around the most, when talking about his best win.

I think everyone agrees that Lacy was his best performance.

I know Bailey thinks that probably the Eubank win his is best.

But people associate the Kessler win, with him unifying the titles, and he was undefeated of course.

Personally, I'd have to say it was the Kessler win.

Eubank was past his best, and he only had 11 days notice. Although Bailey has a point, that after he fought Joe, he fought two terrific fights against Carl Thompson, who went on to beat Haye.

Lacy was never that good to begin with in my opinion, and would have ran into trouble as soon as he faced any great boxer with speed.

So it's Kessler for me.
I'd also agree that Kessler was his best win, although Eubank is still a good win for Joe even though many people disregard it.

Lacy was a hypejob but it's only hindsight that makes the victory seem less impressive. In the day it was lauded as a great win for Joe.

Bailey makes good points about the Eubank fight and it's comparisons to Ward vs Kessler.

Glad to hear from you
moneypaysbills is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #389
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Money,

Quote:
Fair enough it was a close result, but I still score it by a shade to Calzaghe. On the context that Joe did win, you would agree that it is a better win then lacy right?
Yes. The Lacy fight was an outstanding performance, and although I don't think Lacy was great, Joe deserves a lot of credit for the win. He was simply fantastic that night. The Hopkins fight was ugly, but as you say, he got the decision. So based on the fact that Hop is a much better fighter, and he went on to have some great wins after, then Hop is a better win than Lacy. But I scored the Hop fight as a draw, and I think it was quality over quantity from Hop. Although I hated Hop's antics, and he didn't deserve the win in my opinion. If they'd have given it as a draw, we'd probably have seen a rematch. So I'm glad that Joe won in the end.

I get on Joe's back on here a lot, but he was a great fighter, with fantastic skills. I just don't like all of the "I was desperate for Roy" stuff that he's said over the years though. I don't believe it.

Quote:
I'd also agree that Kessler was his best win, although Eubank is still a good win for Joe even though many people disregard it.
That was a very good win in my opinion. He was 25, and it was his first big fight. But Eubank was faded, so it can't be classed as his best.

Quote:
Lacy was a hypejob but it's only hindsight that makes the victory seem less impressive. In the day it was lauded as a great win for Joe.
I agree.

Quote:
Bailey makes good points about the Eubank fight and it's comparisons to Ward vs Kessler.
It's not very often I agree with him ha!

Quote:
Glad to hear from you
Likewise.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #390
jonnytightlips
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDUUDDDEE View Post
It was an elite display of almost god-like boxing ability. I'm getting a raging boner just thinking about it again.
jonnytightlips is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum