Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-31-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Alexis Arguello vs. Salvador Sanchez

Hope this one hasn't been talked about(?)...
Sanchez wanted to defeat the 'three big punchers'...namely Danny 'Little Red' Lopez, Wilfredo Gomez, and Alexis Arguello...As you know, he did face two of those men, and he beat them...When Arguello was WBC lightweight champion, I remember a qoute from him stating "If I am to fight as great and skilled a boxer as Salvador Sanchez, I want a million dollars!" (I do not have a proper source...sorry. I think it was an old Boxing Illustrated with both Arguello and Sanchez on the cover in the early eighties)
Obviously Arguello had a lot of respect for the abilities of Sanchez...
15 rounds for the WBC lightweight title. Who and why?

and just for fun...your pick at featherweight for 15 rounds.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Alexis Arguello vs. Salvador Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417
Hope this one hasn't been talked about(?)...
Sanchez wanted to defeat the 'three big punchers'...namely Danny 'Little Red' Lopez, Wilfredo Gomez, and Alexis Arguello...As you know, he did face two of those men, and he beat them...When Arguello was WBC lightweight champion, I remember a qoute from him stating "If I am to fight as great and skilled a boxer as Salvador Sanchez, I want a million dollars!" (I do not have a proper source...sorry. I think it was an old Boxing Illustrated with both Arguello and Sanchez on the cover in the early eighties)
Obviously Arguello had a lot of respect for the abilities of Sanchez...
15 rounds for the WBC lightweight title. Who and why?

and just for fun...your pick at featherweight for 15 rounds.
Sanchez outpoints Alexis at feather,,,,,Sanchez at his best there.

Arguello outpoints Sanchez at lightweight due to his height and ability to carry the weight better ( 5'10 ", 72 inch reach vs 5'7" Sanchez)
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
markedwardscott
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Arguello too strong for Sanchez at either weight. Sanchez' only chance would be to keep on the move and try for a decision. But its an interesting idea since Sanchez in theory may have gotten stronger as he got older and gained weight. Too bad we'll never know.
markedwardscott is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

At 135, Arguello wins on decision or late round stoppage.At 126, Salvador wins on unamous decision.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Wow. 2 of my fav's. I just see Arguello being a little bit to much. Not sure if a KO is coming, but I believe Arguello would win a decision w/ a late KO as an outside possibility.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Two guys I really liked. I hate it when you have to pick against Arguello, but Sanchez would have beaten him much like he did Danny Lopez, with a sustained beating while outclassing Alexis along the way for a tko in 13 or 14. Sanchez was that good, in my opinion. It would have taken some superfighter Iwho I don't think even existed to beat him. His beating of the nearly flawless Wilfredo Gomez proves that.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra
Two guys I really liked. I hate it when you have to pick against Arguello, but Sanchez would have beaten him much like he did Danny Lopez, with a sustained beating while outclassing Alexis along the way for a tko in 13 or 14. Sanchez was that good, in my opinion. It would have taken some superfighter Iwho I don't think even existed to beat him. His beating of the nearly flawless Wilfredo Gomez proves that.
It's clear you vastly overrate Sanchez. Gomez was nearly flawless at 122, not 126. There he was very good, but not the dynamo he was at 122. Sanchez was almost beaten by Nelson in his 13th fight, and first against top competition. Had they rematched in their prime, I'd have picked Nelson. At 126 and 130, Arguello is easily better than Gomez. Sanchez showed flaws in many fights, this coming from someone who's seen most of them.

I will say this, he showed up at his best for the biggest fights, but still, comparing Arguello to Lopez is laughable, and assuming his win over Gomez was at Gomez's peak is off as well. Again, thinking Gomez was the same at 126 as he was at 122 is wrong.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

The great counterpuncher against the great long-range boxer - would have been a hell of a matchup. Both seemed to heat up as the rounds went by. I'm not sure how effective Sanchez's countering style would have been against a rangy boxer like Arguello. If I had to bet, I'd say Arguello outboxes him to a 12 or 15 round decision.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #9
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
It's clear you vastly overrate Sanchez. Gomez was nearly flawless at 122, not 126. There he was very good, but not the dynamo he was at 122. Sanchez was almost beaten by Nelson in his 13th fight, and first against top competition. Had they rematched in their prime, I'd have picked Nelson. At 126 and 130, Arguello is easily better than Gomez. Sanchez showed flaws in many fights, this coming from someone who's seen most of them.

I will say this, he showed up at his best for the biggest fights, but still, comparing Arguello to Lopez is laughable, and assuming his win over Gomez was at Gomez's peak is off as well. Again, thinking Gomez was the same at 126 as he was at 122 is wrong.
exactly, danny lopez has virtaully no defence.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra
I strongly disagree with Arguello being stopped by Sanchez...Danny Lopez was a fine fighter, but Arguello is in the great fighter neighborhood...I could see Sanchez fighting a fantastic fight and outpointing the young Arguello at featherweight...but lightweight is a different story, I like Alexis by decision there...
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #11
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

IMO I believe a more experienced Nelson would have won the rematch with Sanchez as well...still a close fight. I really like Sanchez, but I'd take Nelson to take a UD against Sanchez...
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #12
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I enjoyed watching Arguello fight more than Sanchez, but regarding this matchup head to head, I think Sanchez would outbox Arguello. Sal had good defense, excellent chin, excellent condition, and good footwork. Arguello was a straight up plodder who was hittable and susceptible to getting outboxed. I just don't see him catching up with Sal, although it would be fun and competitive.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #13
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

Don't misunderstand, I'm not comparing Arguello and Lopez, I'm merely saying that Sanchez would have handled Arguello the same way he did Lopez, that isn't comparing the two fighters. As for Gomez, he was on top of his game when he fought Sanchez, and don't tell me that 4 POUNDS made that much of a difference in Gomez' performance, rather it was the humiliating battering that Sanchez gave him, from which Gomez was never the same again. You underrate Sanchez.

Last edited by Morrissey; 01-30-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:08 AM   #14
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I'd be shocked if Sanchez stopped Arguello, even at 126, and would be beyond shocked if it happened at 130. Arguello will be the bigger stronger man at 130.

I'll take Sanchez via UD at 126 due to Arguello still being a project in the works there and Arguello by UD at 130.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #15
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I concede to you gentlemen that most likely Sanchez would not have tko'ed Arguello, but he would have definitely been too slick a boxer for the man from Nicaraugua, and that's coming from a big Arguello fan. The fact is that Alexis had trouble with boxers, witness Villamar Fernandez, BOTH times. Sanchez was superior to Fernandez by far, and would have calmly outboxed Arguello as well. I don't think any man Sanchez defeated as champion would have been able to beat him in a rematch, Nelson included. I think Sanchez had an off-night in his meeting with Nelson, and would have beaten him again in a rematch. I think Sanchez was special as a fighter, and not the typical head-first, Mexican slugger and was somewhat like Monzon in his cool, calculated style. I don't have a grudge against Arguello either, as I ALWAYS rooted for him in whatever fight he was in, but Sanchez was special.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum