Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 02:43 AM   #1
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 638
vCash: 1000
Default Sparring with a weighted vest?

Thinking of getting a 20lb vest (I'm 150lbs) to use in sparring against those that are less experienced. Anybody else see the benefits to this?
wordisbond is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 02:50 AM   #2
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,266
vCash: 253
Default Re: Sparring with a weighted vest?

i never heard of sparring with it, now shadow boxing with it would be much better, on a softer ground though. I think to prevent injuries on your knees or somethingg, could be wrong.
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:40 AM   #3
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparring with a weighted vest?

That's some retard shit right there. Old school coaches will probably say that it's a great idea.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:45 AM   #4
NVSemin
Sugar Boxing
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparring with a weighted vest?

I saw people sparring wit weights on legs.
Weighted vest?
On the surface it should help develop speed, endurance. In practice, maybe 20lb is a bit too heavy for 150lb. From rapid moves you may get back injury, also it put stress on your knees. So, I guess you gotta be careful by securing those areas first with stretching and building up muscles
NVSemin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #5
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparring with a weighted vest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVSemin View Post
I saw people sparring wit weights on legs.
Weighted vest?
On the surface it should help develop speed, endurance. In practice, maybe 20lb is a bit too heavy for 150lb. From rapid moves you may get back injury, also it put stress on your knees. So, I guess you gotta be careful by securing those areas first with stretching and building up muscles
May I ask through what mechanism could that improve speed and endurance?
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 237
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparring with a weighted vest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordisbond View Post
Thinking of getting a 20lb vest (I'm 150lbs) to use in sparring against those that are less experienced. Anybody else see the benefits to this?
I see a few potential benefits of using a weighted vest for specific drills but I wouldn't use it for sparring.
RichC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparring with a weighted vest?

Weight vests have got to be one of the most misunderstood/misused pieces of kit there is.
Primate is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
NVSemin
Sugar Boxing
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparring with a weighted vest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
May I ask through what mechanism could that improve speed and endurance?
As the author proposes to spar with the lighter guys, so he will work more in defense and movement. Extra weight will force him to faster contract muscles during dips / waves / bobs / slips, also endure fatigue due to movement.
NVSemin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparring with a weighted vest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVSemin View Post
As the author proposes to spar with the lighter guys, so he will work more in defense and movement. Extra weight will force him to faster contract muscles during dips / waves / bobs / slips, also endure fatigue due to movement.
No it will change his muscle activation strategies, he'll have to contract sooner, at a different sequential pattern and tempo, with more force. As we all know about muscle's force-velocity characteristics we know that the more force the slower the movements have to be. As we all know the brain adapts to how we train. As we all know, fatigue effects speed and coordination negatively.
So we should all know that wearing a weight vest will make us slower, **** up our punching biomechanics and make us tired sooner so we get less quality work in. But hey, this is boxing and we do dumb shit just for the hell of it.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013