Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 10-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
20a87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3071
Default Geale on Mundine : If he had pushed it too much further I think I might have done som

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

WHEN Daniel Geale moved to Sydney in 2004 to begin his professional boxing career, he lived near the famous Redfern gym owned by Anthony Mundine's father, Tony.
''I lived just up the road from there in Redfern Street, but he wouldn't have even known who I was back then,'' Geale said.
Despite having won two middleweight world titles in Germany in the past 18 months, Geale remained virtually unknown to most Australians until last week's announcement that he would fight Mundine.
The bout, which is expected to be in Sydney in late January, is set to be the biggest boxing event in Australia since Mundine beat Danny Green at the Sydney Football Stadium in 2006.
Advertisement
''It is frustrating that my fights in Germany didn't get that much attention but that is just the way it is,'' Geale said of his defeat of IBF champion Sebastian Sylvester last year and his September 2 win against WBA belt holder Felix Sturm.
''Nobody has ever done that before, especially twice. But over here there is definitely a lot more attention on fighting Mundine.
''I guess Mundine has been around for a long time and he always finds a way to get his name out there, so we knew a fight like this was going to draw a lot more attention.''
The way Mundine did that - by questioning the Aboriginality of Geale and his ''white'' wife, Sheena, at last Thursday's joint press conference - angered the 32-year-old Tasmanian.
Even more so, he said, because he had cheered for Mundine in world title fights against the likes of Sven Ottke, Antwun Echols and Mikkel Kessler, and considered him an indigenous role model.
''In boxing, I did - not in the media,'' Geale said during an interview at Grange Old School Boxing Gym, in Smeaton Grange, where he trains. ''As people can see, I am pretty much the opposite of him. I don't go and create waves and say stupid stuff. But I used to watch a few of his fights and I probably supported the guy a bit, especially when he was fighting some of the international guys.''
Asked what he now thought of Mundine, Geale said: ''I have never really sat down and had a chat with the guy so I couldn't really give you an opinion. Maybe he is a great guy. A lot of people say he is a nice guy but all I see is what is in the media and a lot of people don't like that.''
Among them is Sheena, who told her husband he had no right to accept Mundine's apology when the boxers appeared together on Channel Nine's Wide World of Sport last Sunday.
With her father being a NSW Koori, like Mundine, Geale said Sheena had more right than him to be angry.
''She was at the press conference but she actually wasn't there at that moment when Anthony was saying those things, so that was probably lucky,'' Geale said.
''Everyone was talking about it afterwards, and my wife was angry but I don't believe he meant it the way it came out. I think it just came across bad because he just basically compared himself and the way, I guess, that he represents his people to me having a white wife and white kids.
''It came across that he was better because he has got black kids, or my kids aren't as good because they are white, and that did offend me. If he had pushed it too much further I think I might have done something.
''But what hurt the most was how much it offended everybody else in my family and even the people in Tasmania. My nan was really angry; she was wild.''
Geale suggested the comments were a tactic by Mundine to unsettle him ahead of the fight.
''I think all of it, everything that happened last week, was an attempt to get into my head,'' he said.
''But that is not going to work.''
Instead, Geale believes he has a psychological edge over Mundine, saying: ''I think I have been in his head for a long time.''
Geale is referring to their previous bout, at Brisbane Entertainment Centre in 2009 for the IBO middleweight title, which was won by Mundine in a controversial split decision.
The loss remains Geale's only defeat in 29 bouts, but the 2002 Commonwealth Games gold medallist said it was a ''stepping stone'' for bigger and better things.
His split points decision over Sylvester in Neubrandenburg last year was the first world title win by an Australian boxer in Germany, and Geale did it again when he beat Sturm in a unification bout in Nordrhein-Westfalen last month.
However, Geale said he had wanted the chance to avenge his loss to Mundine.
''I think I surprised him a lot and I think I surprised a lot of people around Australia as well because I was relatively unknown before that fight,'' Geale said.
''I have had to wait about three years for a re-match, so it definitely does serve as motivation.''
Mundine admitted after their first bout that he had barely studied any footage of his opponent but Geale knows the three-time world champion will be better prepared this time.
''People are writing him off a bit but he is the type of guy who steps up for bigger fights, so we are not expecting an easy fight,'' Geale said.
''He has got a big ego, he doesn't like losing and he is a good athlete, so he is going to train hard and he is going to be focused for this fight.
''He will be doing his homework, and this time I am sure he will be watching all of the tapes on me.''
20a87 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
20a87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Geale on Mundine : If he had pushed it too much further I think I might have done

"The Man" will snuff out Geale's reign as a world champion in January.

If Geale is ever stupid enough to step to "the Man" out of the ring he will get hurt.

It is clear Choc has the mental battle already won. January will be a breeze for a properly prepared and motivated Mundine.

Mr 5 time is coming
20a87 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908
Default Re: Geale on Mundine : If he had pushed it too much further I think I might have done

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20a87 View Post
"The Man" will snuff out Geale's reign as a world champion in January.

If Geale is ever stupid enough to step to "the Man" out of the ring he will get hurt.

It is clear Choc has the mental battle already won. January will be a breeze for a properly prepared and motivated Mundine.

Mr 5 time is coming
Yawn. You're the Eric Crumble of trolls.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
donkeyking
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

A lot of people say he is a nice guy .... I used to watch a few of his fights and I probably supported the guy a bit
There you have it ladies and gentlemen, even Geale is a fan of The Man. Suck it up haters.
donkeyking is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyking View Post
There you have it ladies and gentlemen, even Geale is a fan of The Man. Suck it up haters.
He actually appeared on a Mundine doco.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 346

Suck it up Haters! Ironic some people calling 20a87 a troll yet posting on bullsht threads in which Oztriker is basicly doing nothing but trolling, calling people pedos and other names and making new topics asking how many alts teke has, like thats even boxing related. Get your rose colour glasses off pooftas.
TCboxa is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
20a87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecks View Post
Yawn. You're the Eric Crumble of trolls.
You took the time to write in to me.

Thanks, always nice to interact with a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyking View Post
Everyone is a fan of "the Man".

The hands of Mundine are like bullets in the night - Geale knows this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiflers mum View Post
He actually appeared on a Mundine doco.
Geale has waited 3 years for another crack at the champ.

He can be on the next documentary too answering the question:

"How did it feel to lose 3 of your titles to Choc?"

20a87 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 346

^ Geale will do just about anything for Money hahaha
TCboxa is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 03:06 AM   #9
20a87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yeah, he has taken a fight where he can't win
20a87 is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 03:12 AM   #10
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCboxa View Post
Suck it up Haters! Ironic some people calling 20a87 a troll yet posting on bullsht threads in which Oztriker is basicly doing nothing but trolling, calling people pedos and other names and making new topics asking how many alts teke has, like thats even boxing related. Get your rose colour glasses off pooftas.
haven't you done enough pms'ing for one weekend?
pecks is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 03:14 AM   #11
abe01
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 415

That's the best trash talk geale has got??? Really.....
abe01 is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 03:22 AM   #12
20a87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecks View Post
haven't you done enough pms'ing for one weekend?
You're really boring and unfunny....just a heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abe01 View Post
That's the best trash talk geale has got??? Really.....
He can't back up his trash talk so there is no point. He knows he is losing those belts!
20a87 is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #13
kingkam

vCash: 500

Trash talk is exactly that trash and talk.clearly geale is better then that,atleast he has the respect and is humble enough to recognise another athletes abilities and the work that he does out of the ring.as opposed to mundine who has to talk people down to make him feel like "the man".do you even like boxing 20a or just love mundine that much.you can support fighters while appreciating others.
kingkam is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #14
20a87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkam View Post
Trash talk is exactly that trash and talk.clearly geale is better then that,atleast he has the respect and is humble enough to recognise another athletes abilities and the work that he does out of the ring.as opposed to mundine who has to talk people down to make him feel like "the man".do you even like boxing 20a or just love mundine that much.you can support fighters while appreciating others.
Do I even like boxing?

Mundine will whoop Geale's arse and take his belts again.

Drop the "holier than thou" act.
20a87 is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #15
kingkam

vCash: 500

Quote:

Drop the "holier than thou" act.
Yes exactly what mundine should do
kingkam is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum