Old 10-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #46
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Head To Head Comaprisons - Please Clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerboy View Post
Thanks for posting the videos of these hopelessly out dated boxing styles (with the exception of Willie Pep)..thank goodness someone else gets it
I wish I could look that outdated in the gym.
Seamus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #47
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Yeah fair point..there arent that many great around today apart but I dont think styles have changed much since the 1980's and 199o so for argumants sake you could say I am referring to guys from that era..

For starters no ones shuffles round the ring dragging their right foot behind them...people stopped planting their feet and telegraphing shots...more upright style to avoid the jab jab right style of the past eras...no more left hand way down and stuck out to the front as the "on guard" stance...no more crouching over and susceptible to the short chopping right...no more lunging in on shots...no more back hand slaps...no more open hand parrys...

I'm not convinced, I think we still see this stuff nowadays, and it's not a bad thing either (forget the back hand slaps)
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #48
bowerboy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1428

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsean View Post
Your ignorance of boxing is unbelievable
please enlighten me as to why those styles are superior / more effective than todays boxing styles?

Am i to belive the fighting style has gone backwards over the last 60 years...i am talking style / method / technique

would love to know
bowerboy is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #49
bowerboy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Ok I tell you what...I will make this really easy for you guys...tell me ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING...that was done better, faster, quicker, more efficiently 70 years ago than it is today....tell me anything, sporting or otherwise that hasnt been tweaked to make it better...or is boxing the ONLY thing in the world that has NOT developed or has gone backwards??
bowerboy is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #50
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote=bowerboy;14088003]
Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post

Really?? Like what?

Better foot work = Couldnt keep up with Clay even though his footwork was technically better.

Jab = Completely outjabbed by Clay even though his jab was technically better

Right Hand = Couldnt land it even though technically better then Clays

Ring Generalship = Couldnt cut off the ring even though he was technically better at it than Clay

Better Head Movemnet = Technically very good explaining why he was getting pummeled by Clay
Your argument that he was a better technician seems to be based on the fact that he won the fight and was landing more consistently, which is totaly circular logic.

He did these things because he had better reflexes, but what would happen if they had the same handspeed and reflexes?

Then Liston prety much outclasses him in every department.

For a start Ali has no conventional defence. He fights with his hands by his waist and relies on his reflexes to avoid punishemnet. It works, but it cannot in any way be described as sound technique, and the vast majority of fighters would be punch bags if they tried it. That is why a fighter like this only comes along every few decades.

Liston is a better boxer from a technical standpoint, because he has a style that virtualy anybody could adopt and have a degree of sucess with. He is a boxer puncher with few technical weaknesses. The fact that his hands are not very fast is not a technical weakness, but something that he was born with.

There is nobody in the heavyweight top 10 today who employs a style remotely like Ali, but many of them do things that you can relate to Liston's style.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #51
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

The NBA shoots free throws the exact same way they did years ago and the percentage is similar to what it was in the mid 1950's. Cause you asked for just one thing.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #52
kingfisher3
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
And SRR of course but he was the birth place of the modern era of fighting styles anyway..so good because he was ahead of his time
srr 50+ years ago, or was it willie pep, or joe gans over 100 years ago, there are different styles of fighting and by what you are saying those 3 are more modern than hatton or froch,

that sentence doesn't make sense but neither does anything you've written so i'll leave it
kingfisher3 is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #53
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Ok I tell you what...I will make this really easy for you guys...tell me ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING...that was done better, faster, quicker, more efficiently 70 years ago than it is today....tell me anything, sporting or otherwise that hasnt been tweaked to make it better...or is boxing the ONLY thing in the world that has NOT developed or has gone backwards??
Some skills just get lost over time, especialy when there is little demand for them.

There are some flint tools made by Cro Magnon man, of such intricacy that no modern craftsman can replicate them.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #54
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Marciano and Louis style outdated? How so? explain
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #55
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Are you ****ing dim? Watch Louis-Baer and tell me what's outdated about it. Joe's throwing fast, accurate punches with correct technique, power, and he's throwing beautiful combinations.

His footwork his educated, he pivots perfectly with every punch. That's ****ing textbook boxing right there and you have the nerve to watch it and come out with this bullshit?

Nah, I doubt you even took the time to watch these video's. What about LaMotta's swarming style? Where he cuts off the ring to get Robinson in a corner, unleashes a solid body attack with combinations, and uses great lateral movement to avoid Sugar's shots.
You're full of shit, my friend.
Well, that is the only thing he has shown in this thread....now it is time to stop feeding the trolls so he can return to Jr. High and worry about his acne problems.

I believe even zits are bigger and juicer today than they were 40 years ago.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #56
bowerboy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Some skills just get lost over time, especialy when there is little demand for them.

There are some flint tools made by Cro Magnon man, of such intricacy that no modern craftsman can replicate them.
Clown
bowerboy is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #57
bowerboy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post

Boxing is a game of skill. How skilled you are.
“When two men are fighting, what you’re watching is more a contest of wills than of skills, with the stronger will usually overcoming skill.…."

Cus D'Amato..but what would he know
bowerboy is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #58
bowerboy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

That Benny Leonard fight...your kidding me right?? You dont think Pacquaio or Donaire would put a perfect hook over those low held hands?

You are kidding right surely?

Sure "allow for inflation" when you compare Benny Leonard head to head with Pacquaio and you have a real fight...."time machine" system and Leonard would be gone within 2...mismatch

I dont know why people get so upset about the concept that boxing and sports have developed so much in 60 or 70 years...its just reality.

I know the game was more pure back then and we all yearn for the good old days but denying reality just seems silly...i am not saying those fighters are any less and yes we all know they would reign supreme in todays world but I am saying they would need to adjust in order to do so..
bowerboy is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #59
bowerboy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesMantooth View Post
that quote doesnt support your position at all....
It is not intended to....merely a counter to the other guys post about how boxing is all about skill....nothing could be further from the truth...
bowerboy is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #60
kingfisher3
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
It is not intended to....merely a counter to the other guys post about how boxing is all about skill....nothing could be further from the truth...
so the modern style is irelevant because boxing is about desire, so why have you written so much bullshit about the modern style.

p.s there is no such thing as the modern style, there are styles that would be less efective today, jack johnson and freddie welsh ect, and it is acknowledged that the blocking style fell out of favour as gloves got bigger. but since todays fighters never see it i like welsh vs most modern fighters in a 1 off time travel type match.

tell me one thing carl froch does technically better than joe gans
kingfisher3 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum